Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Hydrofoiling

Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-08-2005, 10:39 AM Reply   
Total newbie here, never been on a foil but looking to pick it up. I've be scouring eBay looking for a used one and I came across the sky ski hydro-flite. What is the consensus from the seasoned foilers on this thing? It seems like it could be a good way to go because of the drastic price difference (big plus) and you can still upgrade it later once you progress. Any help would be great.
Old     (steelerguy)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-08-2005, 11:25 AM Reply   
pull out a credit card and put a new LE on it.

Only set you back 4,500 hundo. You will never look back I promise.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-08-2005, 6:32 PM Reply   
Blain, Scott is right. Your going to end up buying an LE anyway. So you might as well get one now.

Don't bother with the hydro-flight. I just ordered a new Skyski Jr for my son's 3 year B-Day. They didn't even recommend the Hydro-flight for him. They said that he would "outgrow" the ski in less then a season. I ended up getting him a 2-piece billet with a Jr tower and ski. He should be able to ride this one until he gets big enough to ride Dad's LE.
Joe
Old                08-08-2005, 6:47 PM Reply   
Heh. Don't let them scare you away. They are millionaires and I'm jealous. ;)

The hydro-flite is more nostalgic than functional. It will fly you around and offer a few bunny hops though. If you don't have a money tree to shake, go for an anodized Sky Ski Pro. You can pick one up for around $1k. Joe's friend (Brett) is a reseller and can get you a good price. They can all be upgraded, but they hold their value well and you're better off selling it and get a whole new one rather than swap parts. Thanks for asking and take care.

(Message edited by shagnwagn on August 08, 2005)
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-09-2005, 5:17 AM Reply   
Um, the LE looks cool and all and...uh...4500? Anyway thanks for the responses but 4500 is a touch rich for starting out in a sport. I can't believe how these things hold their value, some of the original air chairs are still going for 800 on eBay. When I googled the hydro-flite I got a lot of links for the original hydro-flite foil from the 70s that attached to the bottom of skis, so I see what you mean by nostalgia. I think I may still be looking into the used market to start out. Thanks for the help and Jason, your avatar on foilfreaks is awesome.
Old     (steelerguy)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-09-2005, 8:18 AM Reply   
FYI.... We picked up our LE for 32 hundo shipped and it was in as good as new shape. You can find them but its hard. Also Like you said they keep there resale as long as you take care of it. You wont make money on it but you will not loose your shirt.

If your seriously against spending the money:
DO NOT RIDE, OR TEST FLY ONE>
Old                08-09-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
Thanks for the avatar comment, Blain. hehe . Hydrofoils hold their resale because they don't wear out. Ones that have handle dings and are sunfaded sell for slightly less. Go for a billet aluminum one if you go used. Sky Ski is the only one who sells billet ones, and I believe billet versions started in 2002 (correct me if I'm wrong). Glad to hear you getting into the sport. Make sure you let us all know how your riding progresses! If you posted your location out on foilfreaks or on the Yahoo group, I'm sure you'd get some people in your area invite you out to try one.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-14-2005, 11:07 PM Reply   
I believe the LE's were billet in 02', but the pro's didn't go billet until last year.

If you don't get a billet ski, then it doesn't really matter what year you get. It is worth it though to look into getting an 04' or newer 2-piece billet. They're only a couple dollars more then the old cast and they're a lot better.
Joe

(Message edited by joesell on August 14, 2005)