Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old    sub_zero            05-19-2004, 9:30 AM Reply   
Howdy all!
I currently run a 1995 Mastercraft Maristar 225VRS with the LT1. I am thinking of buying a 2001 Super Air Nautique with the GT-40. I was hoping that someone has experience with both boats and wakes and can tell me what to expect for differences. I like the Maristar, I have about a 1400 lb ballast system installed, killer stereo and all. The only thing I don't like is I find the wake reaaal wide. Again, I;m wondering about the difference in wake between the Maristar and Super air. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry
Old     (x10wakerider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-20-2004, 2:17 PM Reply   
I have a 02' x10 "maristar" and I have heard that if you add weight to the nose of the boat it will slim the wake up a bit although I have never tried it?, also you can shorten the rope some so that you arent away from the boat as much. You can also bump the speed up some and it will shorten the width of the wake.
Old    sub_zero            05-20-2004, 8:23 PM Reply   
Hey Blake, I have this boat sacked up. 500#s on each side of the engine, 300#s in the ski locker and 300#'s in the bow. Don't think I can add much more weight. I did try to shorten the rope but didn't like the way it felt. Maybe I should try it again. With the weight we have we already are up to about 23mph. Going much faster realllly starts to hurt. I crash a lot:-)
Old     (taylor)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-21-2004, 3:56 AM Reply   
Terry, not the same boat, but I have the 200 VRS, same year. I'm running 1550# (350's on each side of the engine, 250 in locker, 500 in bow walk thru and 100ish under front cushions) and I'm pretty happy with my wake. The only thing I'm not happy about is the fact it's NOT an automatic system.

A good friend of mine has a 2001 SAN with the GT-40. It has the automatic balast system, sweet boat. My only issue is I find the wake a bit like a wall, at least compared to my wake. Not that that is a problem, but going between the two make for an interesting ride.

I'd be happy with either ride. All things equal, I'd choose the SAN based only on the auto ballast system and Perfect Pass.

Best of luck.
Old    sub_zero            05-21-2004, 6:41 AM Reply   
Ga eh? Looks like you've got your boat moored in the Bahama's. Is that really your ski lake? What do you mean about the automatic balast system? I put my own ballst system in my boat last year. I can fill the engine bags with one pump, ski locker bag with the second pump and bow bag with the third pump. I just flip a three switches to fill and flip them the other way to empty. How does the SAN fill compaired to yours? Sorry to be so ignorant, I have never been in a SAN. I did put a pp in my Maristar last year, but am having trouble getting it dialed in. If I leave it to the pp to set the speed, it's all over the place. I have contacted pp several times, they have been great at helping trouble shoot, but we have not got it working the way I think it should. Maybe I placed the thru-hull fitting in the wrong spot.
Old    jbf            05-22-2004, 2:22 AM Reply   
terry i have the same boat.
getting a san will not make you a better rider.
riding at 70ft the wake on the 225 is somewhat wide.But i see guys clear the 225 wake at only 10 feet out.maybe you should work on your technique.
instead of buying a new boat.
Q: where did you moun the paddle wheel?
i,m thinking of buying a pp but i don,t want any troubles with it.
Old    sub_zero            05-22-2004, 1:08 PM Reply   
I am looking at the SAN cause it appears to be a narrower wake, which means less speed to clear w2w. That translates to slower wipeouts and less hurt. I am to the age where being out for a month of our short 4 month season is not ok. Plus the SAN is a newer boat. I think I ride at 65 or 70' and can clear w2w with fair ease, just when I try a spin or invert and don't quite make it.....splatt...ouch!

I called pp and asked them about the location of my paddle wheel. I mounted it on the right side about opposite of the fresh water intake. I didn't want to mount it too far forward in case I got dirty water from turbulance. If I take the ballast out of my boat, pp works good. When I add all the ballast, I have trouble. We will be taking the boat out this weekend for the first time (if it stops raining) and I will further test it.