Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (blaine4oh5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-19-2010, 6:42 AM Reply   
Can you guys tell me how much i should expect to spend on getting my boat winterized? Or how difficult it is to winterize it myself?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-19-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
Don't pay anyone and do it yourself, its very simple and straight forward. Do a search and you'll get the breakdown on it.
Old     (JDubs)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-19-2010, 7:14 AM Reply   
what boat do you have
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-19-2010, 7:23 AM Reply   
I made the mistake of taking mine to a dealer last year thinking it would be around $250. Went to pick it up, and the bill was over $500. My A#$ hurt when I left. I will never go back to that place.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       10-19-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
Everywhere around her charges ~$300. That tends to include winterizing it and de-winterizing it.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-19-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Do some digging on here about how it's done. Google it. And ask your buddies how they get it done.

I usually help 2 or 3 guys in my neighborhood get it done. No point in shelling out $500 for no reason.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-19-2010, 10:07 AM Reply   
I'd do mine myself if it wasn't for the fact that i can't find anything on doing the heater
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-19-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
What boat Chris? Where is your heater?

Heater installs can vary a bit. The bottom line is you need to drain it. Find the core. Pull the hoses. Blow it out with some low PSI air.

I installed a pair of Prestone Flush Kit Ts in the heater lines on my boat. Their down in the bilge, I pull the caps, gravity drains the water into the bilge. Done. You can also use garden hose quick release fittings, similar to how your exhaust manifold hoses are on most newer boats.

Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-19-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
07 VTX, nice that's a great idea. I'm doing some ballast installs this winter, so I may include adding those when I do
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-19-2010, 11:07 AM Reply   
Yea, makes the heater a snap to winterize.

Usually the core is installed up under the drivers side dash in the newer Malibus. If you have a subwoofer there, you'll have to move it to see the core. Really the only reason you would have to see it is to change it out, or maybe to verify that the core is installed with the hose inlet/outlet on the bottom (so it drains easily). Some of the heaters are installed by the dealers so installs vary a bit. My own core was installed with the hoses on the top so the first winter I had the boat the core popped over the winter. Suprise.... wet feet in the spring time! I flipped the box when I installed a new core & have not had any problem since.
Old     (blaine4oh5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-22-2010, 12:21 PM Reply   
i ended up paying 199 to get it done. The first place i went to quoted me 350 and wouldnt be able to do it till november. And in oklahoma its already starting to get cold. Next year ill probably try to do it on my own to save the money.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-22-2010, 2:31 PM Reply   
One thing you can do with the heater is hook up a wet shop vac to the hose and suck out any water left in it after it has drained.

Blaine, it will cost you a bit more to get all the equipment and tools to winterize your boat the first time but after that you're only buying oil at WalMart so you'll save a bunch.