Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (jim33)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-24-2008, 5:23 AM Reply   
I need honest opinions on Land Rovers.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-24-2008, 5:46 AM Reply   
been there, done that.
Had a disco II, VERY thirsty for gas (13-14mpg of high test), leaked oil, towed well for a short wheelbase vehicle but wouldn't plan on exceeding the limit with it, was maneuverable - good off road. The load space was very vertical and hard to pack efficiently. Repairs were expnesive!!
Eventually wound up going to a 4 door full size 1/2 ton (Nissan Titan) and haven't looked back.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-24-2008, 6:18 AM Reply   
Simple.....Don't do it!

I have been there and done that as well. I think that they look nice and are comfortable inside, but the engine, drivetrain and computer system are a disaster in most cases. I have been in the car business for the last 10 years and I have never had a pleasant experience with a Land Rover. My .02. I am sure their are some loyal owners out there who have had better experiences.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-24-2008, 6:20 AM Reply   
Ya know, I've never heard anything good about Land Rover. How is it they've been in business all these years?

(Message edited by fatsac on November 24, 2008)
Old     (sacwake)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-24-2008, 7:54 AM Reply   
Brother in law is the service manager for LR in Walnut Creek. Simply put, don't do it! They are attractive but the parts do not last! LOTS of issues!
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-24-2008, 8:14 AM Reply   
I really like mine (03 Range HSE) but a lot of people have problems with them... I have been pretty lucky with mine. In my opinion they are the best looking SUV around but if you get a bad they tend to be really bad... Repairs and parts are expensive... Mine is more of toy than anything else, I probably wouldn't have one as my daily driver...
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-24-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
Consumer Reports just rated the RR & LR3 worst in category.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-24-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
Plus if you break down in an area that does not have a LR dealer good luck getting replacement parts.
Old     (tnlakes)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-24-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
If you're thinking about a Rover, I'd look at the Toyota Land Cruiser. I came close to buying one, but instead bought a new Tahoe. LandCruisers are awesome, but my Tahoe does the trick too at $20k less.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-24-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
Everyone I know that has owned one said "never again."
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-24-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
1990's Defender 90's are perhaps the coolest 4x4's ever made. They hold their value and are beasts.
Duffy
Old     (bamboo)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-24-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
I have a 08 Range Rover sport. Very nice looking and I'm happy with the drive, but overall I would not recommend it as a long term vehicle. Short term lease is fine just keep it in warranty. The brakes lasted 22K miles and they charged me $800 for them. Rediculous. I would never own one with 40,000+ miles on it.

I would go GM or if you're going foreign luxury atleast go with an X5 bmw where the service is truly covered at no cost.

Land Rover says their service is covered but it's only really Oil Changes plus wiper blades and things like that.

Too expensive for too little value.
Old     (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-24-2008, 10:51 AM Reply   
Cost of ownership is RIDICULOUS!

Buy one if you are loaded...and enjoy going to the dealership for service, weekly.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-24-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
LR and RR seem to have a ton of bells and whistles that add to things that can go wrong. I think they are one of the best looking Sport SUV's and they are very advanced as far as adjustable ride height and off road ability. I would look at owning one kind of like owning a exotic. A bit more maint than your standard car.

If your looking at the LR Im guessing The Porsche, BMW and Mercedes and Infinity FX are all in the same class. Smaller more sports car like SUV's.
I looked at all the one's I talked about above.
for how I used a SUV they were way to small for me. That's why I went with the Esclade EXT and I
love it. The GM might be bigger than you wanted.
as much as I like my Esclade, I still always turn my head to look at the LR's and Porsche's. The sunburst orange limited edition supercharged LR is a bad mo fo.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-24-2008, 12:27 PM Reply   
We have a 95 Classic LWB which is mine, I love it and it tows great. Problems here and there but its all part of the fun. We also have an 04 HSE that tows well and have only had a few problems with it. And an 07 HSE superchargerd that tows amazing and havent had any problems so far. I like them a lot even the old ones. If your worried about doe get a 6.1 burban or hoe. we have an 07 burb and it tows with no problem at all and hasnt had any problems.
Old     (dubwake21)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-24-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
DON'T DO IT!

2000 Range HSE, nothing but problems, expensive problems that only Land Rover can service and provide parts for
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-24-2008, 12:48 PM Reply   
Rovers are like a super hot chick gorgeous to look at but their gonna cost ya. The problem with Rovers is that unlike the hot chick they cant have any daddy issues!

I would never do anything but lease one.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       11-24-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
i have a 2001 Range Rover. it's amazing, never had a
problem, i guess its how you take care of it.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       11-24-2008, 2:17 PM Reply   
By the way we bought mine with 80,000 miles.

also we bought an extended warranty for like $500, just in case anything happens, its all covered.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       11-24-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
I just looked at an 03 with a really good price. I called about an extended warranty and they wanted $2,900 !! Even the guy offering the extended was telling me how unreliable they are.

I have a friend that has a new LR3 and is already having problems. Mostly suspension.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       11-24-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
Brian you have to buy the warranty for a separate or private party or company. and we got the Range Rover for 12,000.

and our air suspension works really well, it pulls our MasterCraft better that our Tahoe, and our Lexus. it has a ton of torque.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       11-24-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
It would have been through a separate company Jack. I've always loved them and have heard alot of good things about them as well. I just wasn't willing to roll the dice on the reliability. I still want to pull in to the dealership everytime I drive by it.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       11-24-2008, 2:41 PM Reply   
yeah when we bought ours it was a gamble. if i was buying a new truck i'd get the new Toyota Tundra.
Old    wiz            11-24-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
unreliable & expensive to repair.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-24-2008, 3:47 PM Reply   
Buy it. You'll be helping the economy with all the money in repairs you'll have to pay for.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-24-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
get 2...keep the other for spare parts
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-24-2008, 5:30 PM Reply   
There is no way a $500 warranty on a Rover is covering anything. They are the most expensive warranty's out there through any reputable company. The $2900 sounds dead on...
Old     (bspot5)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-24-2008, 5:35 PM Reply   
Help support you national economy and buy American. There is nothing wrong with a new Tahoe, and if your the kinda guy who needs people checking you out buy an Escalade.
Old    mobster            11-24-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
Land Rover has been bought & sold more than any other brand they are now owned By Tata of India Just your basic O.C Housewife with all the Surgeries & Implants ,Just a money hole
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-24-2008, 6:38 PM Reply   
Pretty sure a fresh Rove will get you better looks than an slade, a few years ago yeah, but slades have droped a few positions in the pimp mobile category.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-25-2008, 7:20 PM Reply   
Jack, I would look into that $500 warranty some more. What company is it through. I've been in the car business for almost a half dozen years now, mainly as tech and service advisor. I haven't seen too many aftermarket warranty companies that really cover anything except for major components and even thats a stretch. I've seen people that spent 6 times or more what you did for a warranty that doesn't cover squat! It m Not trying to knock ya, just wondering what company you deal with. If they do cover like you say, I would love to pass that info onto some of my customers.

As far as a Rover, I would be very suspicious of something with high mileage, especially without any paperwork/service history for the vehicle. As already mentioned, repairs add up on those trucks and rather quickly at that. If properly cared for, they can be excellent vehicles. If I were you, I would be looking for a D90 or a D110 (the 110 is a four door) Both are a little harder to find, but if you can find one, it will usually be with lower mileage and taken care of. Good luck!
Old     (goinboardn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-25-2008, 10:35 PM Reply   
I had a 2000 Range Rover for 4 years and have owned a 2003 Range Rover for the last year and a half... Couldn't be happier. Yes the cost of ownership is very high, but the pleasure I get behind the wheel is irreplaceable. I will upgrade again in a couple years. Just make sure you are prepared to watch the value plummet.

Find an independant shop that specializes in Rovers and you will be in good shape. My indy saves me almost half what i would pay at the dealer.

If you are looking at a Range then visit rangerovers.net. There is a ton of info on there and the forums for the different models are very informative.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-27-2008, 4:20 AM Reply   
too bad we cant get the defender series with the turbo diesel - one of the best 4x4's in the world, dirt cheap, and reliable

depends on which model. if u got the cash new buy with a warranty
-avoid the lr2 - too new
-avoid the range (nice but teething with problems)
-disco series II are a great vehicle but weak motor (some have a misaligned oil pump pin that can cause the the motor to explode).

The sport with a supercharger is a really, really nice ride and is my favorite of the newer series.

Overall they are great vehicle but they require manintance. I would look at a mercedes if you want a luxury tow vehicle.
Old     (jcollinge)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-27-2008, 7:02 AM Reply   
I have a D-90 and they are expensive to maintain. But it is pretty much part of the family and an ongoing project. Do not do it unless you are prepared to spend money.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-27-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
Oh yeah i forgot, we have an 08 defender 110 and are extremely pleased with it. I havent been in it yet because it is at our house in the UK but my pops and mom loved it when they were there mid october, I wish they would sell them here too, its too bad.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-28-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
the d-90 are a v-8 gas - not typical for defender series. they were a "special issue" for the usa (big v-8 motor vs a diesel).They still hold their price and are very collectible.

the standard defender 90/110 with the turbo diesel 5 cylinder is the defacto standard for most military forces all over the world and is the longest running production vehicle in the world next to the vw beetle.

another tidbit - it is the most imitated 4x4 in the world- nissan patrol, land cruiser, mercedes mog etc..

btw, a really nice luxury tow vehicle is the toyota landcruiser - very reliable and is really close in "feeling" like a range rover. a great option to check into is the factory supercharger from trd.

(Message edited by clubmyke on November 28, 2008)