Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-22-2007, 7:11 AM Reply   
I just helped a friend install a stereo in his 1988 Supra Sunsport. Here is what we installed.

Headunit: Alpine CDA-9885
Amp: JL Audio e6450M
Speakers: MB Quartz

Problem: no sound out of speakers...just an anoying buzzing sound.

We checked the preamp outputs from the headunit and could not get any voltage to register on my multimeter. The headunit comes on just fine and we tuned it to a local radio station and turned the volume to 12.

We then took a voltage reading at the speaker outputs on the amp and got ZERO voltage there as well.

I think it is a bad headunit.

Anyone got other ideas????
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-22-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
Is there sound coming out of any of your speakers? Are all of your speakers amped, or are any ran directly off you deck? Is your amp turning on, did you run your remote wire for the amp? When you measure voltage of the speaker outputs(amp or deck) is you DMM on AC or DC volts?

A common problem that I see with alpine decks is this: If you are running speakers off the deck, if any one of them shorts out, you will get no audio period. Also on the same note, if your speakers are all amped, you need to make sure the speaker wires on the radio harness are all capped properly so they don't short together (causing the same problem as a shorted speaker)

Alpine puts out some good stuff and if you have a new deck I highly doubt that the deck is the problem. Keep it in mind, but I would consider that your last option.
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-22-2007, 7:51 AM Reply   
Cody -

All speaker wires are connected to the e6450M JL amp. There are no speakers connected to the speaker leads off the headunit. Yes, the amp turns on and we have the remote power wire hooked up. The only sound coming from all 4 MB Quartz boat speakers is a buzzing sound.

The DMM is in DC voltage mode. Should it be in AC mode?

I was going to remote my Kicker KX850.4 from my boat and quickly hook it up to try to isolate the problem.

I will check the headunit's speaker leads and make sure they are not shorting out on one another.
Old     (357)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-27-2007, 6:11 PM Reply   
change the settings on the amp. I have seen this many times. Switch to full range then back to high range or vise versa. I had the same issues with a customers boat.