Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-06-2006, 11:47 AM Reply   
I'm wanting to build a custom sun pad for the back of my prostar. Any idea where I can get this material that they use to make the seat bases in new inboards? Overtons? local place?

Thanks
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-06-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
Tap Plastics? Looks like cutting board material to me, just a thought.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-06-2006, 12:00 PM Reply   
you can make it out of starboard....it's not cheap though.
Old     (ccripps)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-06-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
www.ridoutplastics.com

Every type of Plastic sheet you would need.

Maybe White "ABS"
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-06-2006, 1:00 PM Reply   
The stuff you are looking for is called High Density Polyethelyne. You can buy it in 4x8 sheets with a varity of thicknesses. You can cut it to size, but be carefull if your jig saw is moving too fast, it will heat the plastic and melt more than cut. You can buy the stuff an any plastics distributor.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-06-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
thanks! Any idea what thickness would be good for a 90inch long and approx 18inch wide sundeck base? It will probably need legs to support anyway...
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-06-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
Cool! just called PolyFab plastics in Springfield, mo and it sounds like they carry the exact marine board used in boats! They suggested a .75 inch thick piece... Cost is near $100...

thanks everyone for the info! I'll post pics when I get the project going!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-06-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
Kstate , you don't need legs to support it just reinforce it. Here's a pic of my old PS, using resined plywood and a 2x4. A 600lb sac fits perfect underneath it.

Upload
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-06-2006, 2:39 PM Reply   
Your problem will be stiffness to span the gunnels without serious bracing or extra legs. Look into these materials, in order of increasing stiffness and cost: UHMW polyethylene, King Starboard, and honeycomb-cored aluminum sheet.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-06-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
I had no legs under mine, you coudl also use aluminum angle iron, if you can find pics of a 95 or 96 ps 190 the seat was made to rest on top to form a sundeck. Mine sould also be removed and placed down to make the seat.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-06-2006, 6:07 PM Reply   
I have a 2001 MC209 and it came with the rear seat that turns into a sun deck. Unfortunately, due to a poor design, the seats were breaking with just the honeycomb/alumnium material that came stock.

I am not sure if I have a picture of it, but we had the seat cover removed, and had an aluminum square tube laddar installed under the cushion and replaced the seat cover. I think the whole thing cost about $300, but it will hold mulitple people without the slightest bend. I might be able to find pics if you want a look.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-07-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
sure post em up Jason...

adam - I considered using a small aluminum frame inside the cushion for strength... I just need to get the materials and cut it to size and then go from there... Any chance you have pics of the bottom of that seat I can see?

What keeps it from flying out when you are running up on plane? Do you those little elastics straps that clip onto the hull somewhere like the new MC's?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-07-2006, 8:00 AM Reply   
sorry , I sold the boat abtou 1 year ago, no pics. I'll email you a pdf drawing. give me a few minutes. Teh seat was wedged down , and was somewhat heavy so it never cam eclose to flying out even on the freeway, I coudl always just lower it to the original seating position.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-07-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
Here is a link of what we did to the seat.

http://svtsupercharged.com/gallery/album20?page=4
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-07-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
sent you an email
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-07-2006, 8:27 AM Reply   
Jason how thick was that seat base? .5? .75?
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-08-2006, 6:35 PM Reply   
I am not sure, I would guess .75