Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       10-24-2012, 7:23 AM Reply   
So I am trying to learn the HS Backroll as my first invert. I have only been riding two summers and due to my work schedule only get to ride about the equivalent of two weekends a month. Here are my videos of the first time I tried the backroll, The first video is the first attempt of the day and the second video is the last attempt of the day, there were 11 other attempts in between these two and overall i feel as if i progressed pretty good for one day. The first attempt i tweaked my knee and the last one just knocked the crap out of me and I have been unable to go out to try again since then. The night after this and the next day i could barely walk, no fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIcUz...&feature=g-upl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imrk9...&feature=g-upl
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-24-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
In the first attempt you pop. In the second attempt you rotate the backroll. Now you just need to do them both at the same time. You need to pop the trick UP.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       10-24-2012, 7:51 AM Reply   
yeah that seems to be my big problem, i can jump, or do something else, have not quite mastered the jump and then do something else. i think i concentrate so hard on what comes after im off the water that i forget the basics of how to get off the water
Old     (tdelong)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-24-2012, 8:37 AM Reply   
Very close. Just cut all the way to the top of the wake and load the line to get that pop. Then just lay your ear on your back shoulder and the rest of your body will follow.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-26-2012, 8:41 AM Reply   
Tyler's right- This trick should throw you- you don't throw the trick. I find it helpful to think about making your cut AWAY from the boat, and put my weight on the back foot. Keep the handle in and look up over your lead shoulder. If you maintain your edge all the way to the top of the wake, you'll get thrown around.
Your last video looks like everyone I have seen trying to "THROW" the roll, you started rotating almost before you left the water and lost your edge and therefore your height- so the rotation was a little short and you didn't have the distance to clear the wake.
If you think about cutting away from the boat- it will really huck you out there!
Have fun- you'll get it- you manned up enough to try it and that's the hardest part of this trick!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-26-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
why you guys dont learn them mexican style ill never know...
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-26-2012, 9:08 AM Reply   
I can do both- but I like spotting the landing. Mine go Mexican when I try to huck it and dive over my trailing shoulder.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-26-2012, 12:30 PM Reply   
you can spot a mexi roll thru your legs as you finish the flip, plus its a much lower impact trick in my opinion as far as . i learned them mexi but my roll has shifted into a hybrid. Mexi rolls are a bit easier on steeper wakes IMO cause its a kick off the wake then a flip rather than edging into the flip
Old     (CasMarks)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-26-2012, 12:50 PM Reply   
I've coached a few friends through this trick and I think every one of them had the same problem you do. There has been some good info said already but when I see this I would always tell my friends they are rotating off the bottom of the wake. You need to be patient and get up the wake before you do the trick, but like others have mentioned you don't really "throw" the backroll. The "don't rotate off the bottom of the wake" line has helped some others so try thinking about that.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-26-2012, 1:11 PM Reply   
Ok, here's a couple tips that changed this trick for me and made it as easy as a wake jump. First, when your board crosses the top of the wake, your head should still be directly over your board. Not leaning back or starting the roll motion. This allows you to get maximum pop and not slip off the wake. Second, as your board leaves the wake initiate the roll by looking over your lead shoulder and doing a left handed golf swing motion (for goofy footers, right handed golf swing for regular footers). Then try and spot the water as soon as u can. To slow your rotation and make a soft landing you can do two things. If u do your roll two handed, u can let the rope out away from your body to slow your rotation. If u prefer you can simply take off your back hand and it will slow u down. As soon as I started doing these things, my roll became my most consistent trick. Good luck.