Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-25-2004, 11:47 AM Reply   
Posted this in the snowboarding section but it doesnt seem like that forum gets much action.

http://www.wakeworld.com/cgi-bin/Discus4/show.cgi?11975/187216

Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-25-2004, 12:26 PM Reply   
Are you asking can you or should you?

It will be against your Doctors orders and all common sense, but you can.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-25-2004, 3:23 PM Reply   
uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i would not.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-25-2004, 4:20 PM Reply   
my friend blew his out one summer ACL, MCL, meniscus, at the same time, maybe even in July. He snowboarded later on in the winter probably around January or February. I don't think it was his doctor's best wishes but he is an experienced snowboarder and was taking it easy riding i.e. not doing any jumping or rails, mostly just riding with friends and doing a little filming. If you are a beginner snowboarder I wouldn't recommend it because you are at risk to fall easily and awkwardly, but if you are an experienced rider and want to simply go out with friends and take it easy then I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to with a brace if your rehab is going well. I'm sure your doctor will say no though.
Old     (chrzanowski5)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-25-2004, 5:58 PM Reply   
Mike ... I completely tore my ACL and had MCL damage as well in June. Had ACL reconstruction surgery using the petellar tendon on June 24th. Per Doctors orders, I was instructed to start therapy the following monday and was jogging 4 weeks post op. It has now been nine weeks and have been cleared to basically work my knee out and push it to the limits, just nothing competitive until 4 months post op at which time I will be cleared for everything and will be snowboarding come december!

I really think it all depends on the type of surgery performed and how hard you rehab. The doctor I went to is strictly a Knee ortho surgeon and has worked on several the professional athletes in all sports. He reconstructed both of the girlfriend's knees about 4 years ago and she has never had to wear braces at all and has had zero loss of movement.

Email me if you have further questions. Good luck ...
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-26-2004, 1:13 PM Reply   
Joe and Ryan, thanks for the comments. I am now 6 weeks post op and just started jogging (not because I couldnt ??? but because I was recommended not to, I think just because they want you to wait 2 months...) and have been released from PT. My doctor is an all around orthopedic surgeon and didnt tell me not to snowboard, only that there was definitely risk involved which is common sense. I work out just about every day and plan to make an intelligent decision in December. I had my surgery on July 16th. Im looking at buying the CTI2 Vapor knee brace. I dont plan on getting all crazy on the snowboard, just ride around with my friends. I just started last year but by the end of the year I was clearing 15-20' kickers and pulling 360s so I consider myself good enough to not fall for the most part.

Your opinions help. Thank you, and good luck with the rehab.
Old    wakecord            08-26-2004, 1:20 PM Reply   
"I consider myself good enough to not fall for the most part."

Just watch out that the Secret Service isn't on the slopes that day. I hear they push guys down that wouldn't ever fall.
Ever.
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-26-2004, 3:25 PM Reply   
depends my i was told my revoery time was estimated at 6 months wiht a full return to what i was doing before. It could be more but at the moment it looks like it could be less. I had my my reconstruction in the middle of july witch puts me back in full in the middle of december. But it all depends on the Dr, the type of repair, and how PT goes. The best person to ask would be your Dr or physcial therapist. But they probably won't know until they see your porgress
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-27-2004, 7:07 AM Reply   
Thats just it, I think my doctor preaches this standard that it takes a full year to get back to what I was doing. He doesnt have a clue what wakeboarding or snowboardig is, he just wants to cover his ass in case I reinjure it when he said I could go back to regular sports. Im looking for others advice. Ive heard other posts about their doctors saying anywhere from a range of 4 months to 18 months. Obviously, your doctor wants to to be as safe as you can, wakeboarding again would be good in his eyes.
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-27-2004, 7:08 AM Reply   
must have sworn in that last post. I meant to say that never wakeboarding again would be good in his eyes.