Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-15-2009, 11:02 AM Reply   
I have an opportunity to represent Epic Boats here in Minnesota. So, I'm looking for some feedback. I would have a boat to demo and to sell at the end of the season. I know a lot of you would love to have one, but which of you, if anyone, would actually have the means to purchase one?

It may be very risky for me to bring a boat up to where nobody knows about it and then try to sell it within the same season. Especially with the economy. On the other hand, if there was an interest from real buyers, it could be worth it. Thoughts?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-15-2009, 11:33 AM Reply   
There was a guy who did that in Milwaukee area, you, Scott Pipal.... maybe try and track him down and see how it went for him.

Otherwise... I think that selling 1 epic, at demo price is do-able. Just get a normal looking one, as soon as you get it start selling... from day one, I wouldn't mind taking another set behind one, but until school is over I'm not buying anything
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-15-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
There's big inboard dealers on the west side of the twin cities and in the brainerd area. I don't think it would be too much of a gamble to sell 1 boat.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-15-2009, 12:40 PM Reply   
Chad - You know my thoughts exactly...WOOOOOOO!!!!!
Old     (chall8143)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-15-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
I would be interested in looking at one. I will not buy one this year, but I will be looking for a new boat in the near future. There has to be someone here that would buy one. From what I have seen on the internet, the appear to be a very good boat for the money.Just my .02
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-15-2009, 12:53 PM Reply   
There's the other concern. If I got one, I'd probably find Eder camping out in it in my garage every night.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-15-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
I just got me a tent off of steepandcheap.com
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-15-2009, 2:59 PM Reply   
Yeah, sometimes I pitch a tent from things I see online too
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-15-2009, 6:12 PM Reply   
oh what I would do to see someone kneeboard behind an epic. That would be nuts, and hell on the knees lol
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-15-2009, 7:35 PM Reply   
Kevin - riding with tuneman is the shiznat! He is "that guy" who makes ballet look badass man! It is truly unreal to see behind my Bu, I would kill to see him ride behind that epic -- Before or after I take a set!
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-15-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
I would love the chance to ride behind the boat - I have the means to buy a boat, but at the same time I am basically set on either a 230 or an X-Star when the time comes.

The funny thing about MN is there is a wake scene, and a lot of the people (or their parents have disposable cash to through around on boats - and a lot of people, especially on Lake Minnetonka, love to have the 'unique' setup out on the lake). So I don't think selling it would be an issue here, but I do see your hesitation with the economy and what not.

How much is on the line for you with this deal (if you can say that is)?
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-15-2009, 11:03 PM Reply   
Sounds like a wonderful opportunity... but how can you really call it a business if you are only going to carry one boat... and are worried whether you would be able to sell it for well under retail?

I guess its a good test... if you cant sell a good boat for well under full retail price...

Probably an eye opener that it isnt the business for you.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-16-2009, 6:40 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses, guys. Oh so tempting.

HeHateMe, I would just represent Epic up here, not create a business out of it. Ideally, it would be nice to find a dealership here that would pick up Epic.

TRDon, you had me ROFL.
Old     (robster)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-16-2009, 10:49 AM Reply   
WOULD BE GETTING ONE OF THOSE ELECTRIC EPIC BOATS?

WHAT WOULD ONE OF THOSE GO FOR, NEW AND AS A DEMO ELECTRIC OR NOT?
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-16-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
The electric Epic lists at $150K. Lithium Ion batteries are spendy. We're just talking the gas version here.
Old     (robster)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-16-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
WOULD YOU BE GETTING ONE OF THOSE ELECTRIC EPIC BOATS?

WHAT WOULD ONE OF THOSE GO FOR, NEW AND AS A DEMO ELECTRIC OR NOT?
Old     (robster)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-16-2009, 11:10 AM Reply   
i'VE BEEN WANTING ONE OF THESE FOR A FEW YEARS NOW. tHERE WAS ONE SITTING IN THE PARKING LOT AT THE PRO-TOUR TWO OR THREE YEARS AGO, OVER AT kELLER LAKE.

DEPENDING ON THE RIDE/WAKE SHAPE/ AND FINAL COST I'D CONSIDER GETTING ONE.

i'VE SENT E-MAIL TO EPIC ASKING WHERE I CAN TRY ONE CURRENTLY BUT i HAVE YET TO GET A RESPONSE. IS THERE SOMEONE I CAN CONTACT?

WHERE WOULD YOU BE DEMOING IT IN MN?
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-16-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
WHY ARE YOU YELLING?
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-16-2009, 11:35 AM Reply   
Rob, all caps means you're yelling. Turn your caps lock off.

I would be the guy you would demo it from. I think the closest dealer is in Idaho. I would be able to demo it just about anywhere in the Cities area. If I get one, it would definitely be around during the Dare to Compare on Minnetonka, May 16-17.
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-16-2009, 3:14 PM Reply   
Where are you at in Mound?
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-17-2009, 8:13 AM Reply   
Phelps Island
Old     (robster)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-17-2009, 10:34 PM Reply   
Yeah sorry, didn't think it was a big deal with the caps, I hope I didn't offend anyone.

Let me know if you do decide to do this thing with Epic.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-18-2009, 9:37 AM Reply   
^aha, no worries Rob all in good fun!

And Chad, I have a great idea of what you should do (but that is just because I want to ride behind the boat ); but just do what is best for you and your current situation homey! If anything else it's a great resume builder just in case you actually enjoy the benefits of being a rep.
Old     (airborne)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-18-2009, 5:28 PM Reply   
Well I have to go ahead and post here as I logged on to create on but this one may be good to. I have heard so much on these Epics so this past week I got to spend some time behind one. I know a few of the team riders but haven't really talked to them in detail on their boats. I get a boat from my sponsor and love my boat and have to say, after riding in and behind the Epic, I wouldn't have one if you gave it to me! We had 4-5 people in the boat and played with the ballast so much and if you get over half full the wake is so trashy I don't know who would want to ride on it. I ride at 85' and usually at 23.5-24mph, at 85' on the Epic we couldn't get it clean at 25mph with just a little over half ballast. With full ballast, it took well over 28mph. Now for you beginners or intermediates.....forget anything under 21.5-22 EMPTY!!! The wake is washed out and you CAN NOT get it clean, period! It struggles to hold speed in a double up and is NOT a comfortable boat to be in either. I've heard about this boat for well over a year and heard there was on in my area last summer but being a team rider for another mfr I didn't want to go seek them out. I just figured when the opportunity came around I would be able to check one out for curiosity sake. I don't understand how they are asking $65-75K for this boat as I honestly don't see it being worth more than $40K (and there are several '08 models online in at $40k or under)and I have been in this business a while and know all the top lines well. Ok, it isn't all negative, I do like the matting on the floor and platform as well as the tunes.

I'd do my research, that's all.