Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (wakeboarder123)      Join Date: May 2004       07-20-2005, 6:18 PM Reply   
Hi guys just wondering how many people would go out and buy wakeboarding unleashed 2 and what improvements you would make in it . my friends dad works for some game company and wants to know becouse they werent going to make one because there werent to many buyers for the first one but they took that servey like 3 months after it came out.

if any of the info about surveys and stuff is wrong dont blame it on me blame it on my friend im just repeating what he said

peace
Old    murrayair            07-20-2005, 6:40 PM Reply   
I don't want to be mean, but it wouldn't kill you to use some punctuation. I had to read that like three times in places.
Old    socalgrl79            07-20-2005, 6:52 PM Reply   
Hahahahahaha!!!
Finally, someone on my same page!

-Amy
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-20-2005, 8:31 PM Reply   
Yes they need a Wakeboarding Unleashed 2, 3, 4 and 5!!!!!
Old     (thirdgear)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-20-2005, 8:39 PM Reply   
I'd definitely go out and pick it up. I'd like to get a copy of the original, but haven't gotten the energy to go fight for one on ebay -- they're impossible to find in retail stores. I really enjoyed 1 though, can't really think of much to say in the way of improvements, but I will say that a better release for PC would be much appreciated. Please make this game happen!
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-20-2005, 9:00 PM Reply   
I would DEFINITELY buy it. They should take the Amped 2 game engine and make it into the new wakeboard. The way the tricks and movements are handled in the game are unreal! i'm talking about Xbox. Also, if you could make the rider more interactive witht he actual wake, that would be awesome.

I work for a game company www.silverbirchstudios.com so I understand this stuff, could definitely give some input if you want to keep in touch with me... email me here or jhorvath@silverbirchstudios.com

(Message edited by bassmanjoshis on July 20, 2005)
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-20-2005, 9:06 PM Reply   
I would defenitly get one or two copies. We have a weekly tournament with all the guys at my house on who is the best at it. I think if they did make another one they need to have alot more riders and more boards to choose from. Possibly something like Tony Hawk Undeground.
Were there are more than 5 riders to choose from, different boards, diffrent teams and create a board/rider. Also how about a binding choice? It wold be sweet to have some wakeskating on it too. Posibly some comps at the prodjects?

Danny T. & Sara S.
WWW.OKCBOARDSHOP.COM
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-20-2005, 9:10 PM Reply   
i'd get it if you do that stuff ^^^
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-20-2005, 9:18 PM Reply   
Yea they definatly need to come out with another one.. Maybe add like a comp in there and something along with what everyone else has said about more riders, boards, gear, ect... maybe build up your own boat including balast, stereo, ect.. It would be tight to have your own pimped out boat and playing online against other people!

www.boarders-paradise.com
mdavis@boarders-paradise.com
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-20-2005, 9:27 PM Reply   
Also a build your own player would be sick! do that like Top Spin. This game has SUCH potential to be INSANE if it's not done half assed...has to do the wakeboarding community some justice. The first game was great, but the second could be even better if you did all these things to it. I know it would be a lot, but i think it would be SO worth it...great marketting opportunity if taken to events and stuff. That's my $.02 for now!
Old    mrhappy133            07-20-2005, 9:46 PM Reply   
id buy it for sure.........
i think it should be a little more realistic though.... i mean i dont like doin 2 whirlybirds off of an ollie or backrolls off of a rail..... and some levels sould be more open with less obstacles
Old    hyp3rl1t3            07-20-2005, 10:23 PM Reply   
I'd buy it, but the first didn't have double ups, which would make it a lot better.
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-21-2005, 6:21 AM Reply   
I want to freeride!
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       07-21-2005, 6:48 AM Reply   
Cheez - every time you hit the wake on that game it was like a double (or triple) up.

Main thing I would change is to have a course that is wide open so you could take tricks way out into the flats without running into a tree or a house or a train track or a submarine or the shore... you get the idea.
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-21-2005, 6:58 AM Reply   
Ya, making it so you can't jump as high in the beginning, but you progress like in Amped and you can add skill points to jumping, inverts, switch, spins etc...that'd be SICK. And if there is double up added, then you can't jump and get as high from a normal wake as u can from a double up.
Old    jchamlee            07-21-2005, 8:20 AM Reply   
I really like the idea of building a boat. Plus, throw in some hidden cheat codes so you can have Dallas ride naked!
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-21-2005, 8:53 AM Reply   
Here is my vote even thought most has been stated. Have a design your own course so you can put in sliders and then make yourself room to take tricks out into the flats. In some of the courses it would be awsome if you could pre choose the rout you take through it. Have contest (double up contest, no invert, invert, slider) for money winnings. With the money pimp out your boat, player, and buy boards and bindings. Make the wake reallistic looking (not shoulder high). Maby an extra veiw from the boat while you are riding. During the load process have an animated clip of some pimped out tahoe or lifted truck launching your boat. Or for laughs have a clip of someone who never launched a boat before holding up the ramp.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-21-2005, 11:40 AM Reply   
here is what i would change:

-MAKE IT LIKE AMPED (BYERLY WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE A GAME FOR XBOX THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE AMPED)

-INCLUDE WAKESKATING AND WAKESURFING

-REMOVE ALL THE CRAP FROM THE LEVELS AND INCLUDE SOME NICE OPEN LAKES

-MAKE THE PHYSICS MORE BELIEVABLE
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-21-2005, 11:41 AM Reply   
oh yeah, maybe make it where you can earn cash to add ballast and stuff to your wake....so as you progress your equipment gets better, your wake gets bigger, etc.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-21-2005, 12:48 PM Reply   
they need a design-a-character feature taht way i could finally land that w2w 180.
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-21-2005, 2:11 PM Reply   
I loved the first one!!!

I would make the physics even more unbelievable, that's what makes the game so fun and easy to play.

I would love to have more open worlds though, I hate getting caught out of bounds. I want to rail slide ALL of Ocean World, from the dolphin pin to Shamu's tank :-)

I would buy WBU2 in a heart beat, even if it was $100 a copy...Of course, I would want the Epic 23v as a boat option :-)
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-21-2005, 2:11 PM Reply   
I like Craig's ideas, my main buying point would be if you earn money for winning and then you get to use that to upgrade your equipment. Maybe start with a Hydroslide and if you win you can get sponsor offers and cash. Oh and I think the idea of chicks coming with victory would rock. DO it, DO it
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-21-2005, 3:11 PM Reply   
yeah the equipment upgrade feature would be cool, kinda like a career mode. I would definitely like to see it be more realistic, with an average sized wake, and a more of a free-ride feel to it. Make it less like SSX Tricky and more like AMPED.

I'd have to say no wakesurfing though. I could do without that.
Old    byerly137pro            07-21-2005, 3:46 PM Reply   
It definately needs to have just an open lake with the occassional slider so that the game is more realistic and you actually ride with hitting stuff. This would help me live vicariously through the rider and land mobes and what not. Also why was there no raley in the first game, there krypts but no raleys.
Old    live2wakeboard            07-21-2005, 4:30 PM Reply   
I think its a great idea for a #2. I would buy it. I like Craig's idea to.. It would be fun to earn cash and sponsers to upgrade your stuff and all. That would be real kool... Maybe make the game a little longer to cuz i didn't think that the 1st one was all that long.. Thanks hope to see #2 coming in stores soon
Lucky T
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-22-2005, 10:00 PM Reply   
Sponsors, equipment upgrades (like start off with a inboard/outboard with a fat sac and some free motion board), double ups with slow motion, and more realistic physics so the biggest spin is a 1080.
Old    lunaraven            07-26-2005, 8:54 AM Reply   
I bought PS2 Unleashed as soon as it came out and bought the GBA version on Ebay, they both were fun to play. Realistic physics would be nice but even if they used the same engine and just made new levels I would by a sequel. Tony Hawks games are fun with silly physics.
Old    wickedwake            07-26-2005, 9:05 AM Reply   
There are Raley's in the game. Dont ask me how to do them but in random button pushing I manage to do one every once in a while. My X g/f used to be able to them on command and I still dont know how...LOL
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-26-2005, 9:16 AM Reply   
no raley's ,just krypt's
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-26-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
There probably needs to be a phycho mode for those 10 mile long rail slides and a simulator mode for a realistic raley attempt to face plant.

Me, I would add the killer bass with freaking laser beams on their heads. Give me a rambo gun and let me kill terrorists as I wakeboard the world to peace and harmony...

Build-a-boat is great, even better if they have different wake shapes/sizes. Every apperance option for your rider should be customizable.

Keept the WBU1 goal of running over tubers!
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-26-2005, 9:35 AM Reply   
I agree to make it more like Amped. Unleashed was just too unrealistic. I'd much rather have a game that is more real. Less jibs, no letting go of the rope and levels where you can actually do more then one wake to wake air before you run into a jib, as soomeone said earlier, more open lakes. More pro riders and equipment and a build a rider feature would be essential as well. Overall it just needs to be more realistic.
Old     (sethenol)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-26-2005, 9:53 AM Reply   
I would buy it, also I would buy more places for the first one or the ability to create your own riding spot, that way you don't get board riding the same levels over and over.
Old    sking55405            07-26-2005, 9:55 AM Reply   
I think that a WBU2 would be a great idea and i would definately buy. Like everybody else says, more real physics, build your boat, rider, and , lake would be cool. progress through the game earning money and a reputation as an awesome rider. thats my 2 cents
Old     (premierwake136)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-26-2005, 10:58 AM Reply   
i would buy it, it is one of my favorite games
but it would be better if it was made like tony hawk under ground 1 were you start of as a newb and the you get sponsord and the go pro.
Old    wickedwake            07-26-2005, 11:07 AM Reply   
Ive done Raley'd b4...let me see if I can get a picture of it...brb
Old    tuck224            07-26-2005, 1:39 PM Reply   
I hate to rain on the parade, but I work for a video game company and I just looked up the sales figures for Wakeboarding Unleashed. It sold 60,000 copies on the PS2 and 30,000 on Xbox. Even if their budget was incredibly low; say $3,000,000, they would need to sell a minimum of 250,000-300,000 copies on the PS2 just to break even.

Publishers won't even look at an idea unless they think it can easily sell 300-400,000 copies. Wakeboarding is just way too much of a niche market to be able to make a successful game.
Old    stoked27            07-26-2005, 1:45 PM Reply   
I'd buy it, but I was so disappointed to find that there's no open lake to board behind just the boat. All those obstacles got in the way when I just wanted to cut out far. I don't mind the ability to do 17 backrolls in a row and jump 12 stories high. That's just like tony hawk's skating games, it's unrealistic, but can still be fun.

I'll find out if there's any open lake to board this time before I buy another wakeboarding game (if there ever is another).
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-26-2005, 3:23 PM Reply   
Ed Tuck thanks for ruining my fantacy! Just kidding, but the game is kind of out dated. I believe it is going on two years old. Compaired to other games someone did not spend much time designing this game and obviously wasn't looking for a profit. Wakeboarding is a growing sport and if the game was made more appealing to buyers I believe they would reach that margin easily.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-26-2005, 4:29 PM Reply   
Ed,
if they didn't sell more games it was their own fault. everywhere i went they were sold out. When i asked at EB about the game they told me that they have people ask about it on a regular basis. I have a feeling that if they made it as accessible as the snowboarding and skateboarding games then they would sell a ton more.
My $.02
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-26-2005, 4:58 PM Reply   
I know I got one of the last copies in Daytona mall the day it came out. Maybe they didn't make 250,000 copies.
Old    tuck224            07-26-2005, 5:23 PM Reply   
It's possible that they may have sold a few more copies if they had more supply. But believe me, if there was demand Activision would have gotten more units into stores. Publishers will make second, third, and fourth production runs if there is a market. Inventory and retail activity is monitored constantly, and publishers will do anything they can to bleed every last cent out of a product cycle.

I know it's hard to imagine for us because Wakeboarding is such a big part of our lives, but it is a really small market. Especially in a mass market driven industry like video games. We aren't talking about a game that just missed being a hit, 60,000 copies on the PS2 is a huge failure. Like I said they would have to sell 5 times what they actually sold just to break even.

Personally I thought the game was pretty fun, and a solid all around production.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-26-2005, 6:13 PM Reply   
It shouldn't matter how big the market is for wakeboarding sports. Just because someone doesn't wakeboard doesn't mean they won't buy the game. Hell I don't skate board, but I would buy Tony Hawk. I don't personally shoot people in the head, but I bought grand theif auto.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-26-2005, 6:36 PM Reply   
Grand thief auto.}
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-26-2005, 6:49 PM Reply   
AAHHH come on big ed you know that was a typeo!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-26-2005, 6:56 PM Reply   
I'm sorry,I couldn't resist.
Old    stoked27            07-26-2005, 7:05 PM Reply   
Craig does have a point though. I don't race or snowboard, and I bought Grand Turismo and Shaun Palmer's Snowboarding. There's a ton of games people buy that they don't participate in directly. I know my buddies bought Wakeboarding Unleashed before they had ever wakeboarded before.
Old    cwbabsolute1080            07-26-2005, 9:06 PM Reply   
I would deff buy it... amek it a lil bit mor realistic... jsut a tiny bit and maybe throw in some sort of competietion where you have to land hard tricks or double ups or something... also add more riders and different boards... laso make-----CREATE A RIDER--- I would buy it no matter what... wouldn't matter if I like it or not I would still buy it.
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-26-2005, 9:11 PM Reply   
I think it's just that the marketting has to be there! you see all these games like tony hawk that are marketed like crazy! Commercials, posters, mag ads, etc...if they really want wakeboar unleashed to do well, then it's up to them to market it. If they make it based on these comments, then I DEFINTIELY don't see it as being a hard to sell product!
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-26-2005, 9:49 PM Reply   
Aaron ~ Ok so now that you have got all of this info from all of us.. has it been relayed to who it needs to go to yet? I'm sure all of us want to know if this could possibly truely happen and that our ideas would actually be used to make such a huge improvement. Just curious since it's been a week now and you haven't said anything about it.
Old     (jhoward)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-27-2005, 7:19 AM Reply   
I would buy it. A game for us designed by us. Have one level redneck boarding I IOWA. The rope hooked to the back of a Ford or optional four wheeler, and board two miles in the drainage ditch. Riding in and out of farm lands. Rails, jumps and home made water ways to get across roads. Make a kilt and option for clothing. That would be insane. Side games wake surfing and tramp work to improve skills.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-27-2005, 7:52 AM Reply   
As long as I can use a mod to wakeboard as Dallas or Megan in the buff I'll buy it!...will just have to buy it before Best Buy pulls the game from their shelves
Old    natxbrotha            07-27-2005, 9:58 AM Reply   
I'm sure someone has already said this, but someone needs to put the actual names of tricks to the right moves... i dont remember exactly, but i think a tantrum on that game was a backroll or vice versa... i did notice quite a few names of tricks were totally wrong.

theres so many variations of tricks in wakeboarding that they could all be used. including wrapped tricks. game wardens and tubers, surfing and wakeskating would all be fun.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-27-2005, 10:08 AM Reply   
I think the biggest improvement would be to interact the rider to the wake.
Old     (wakeboarder123)      Join Date: May 2004       07-27-2005, 5:30 PM Reply   
sorry guys but i still havent heard from my friends dad but it looks like a no go.

i also agree about the marketing

i never new about wakeboarding unleashed until i saw it on the shelves and i also know 4 of my friends cant find the game. I thank you for all of your ideas for this and i will relay this back to my friends dad.

and if it cost 3 mil to make wbu1 how much would it cost to make a tony hawk quality game??? i think the problem wasnt with the amount of buyers i think it is with amount of copies made and with advertising
i mean make i know 4 people who would pay 60 bucks cdn for them im sure there are a lot of people out there who cant find any but would buy it if they could.
Old     (thirdgear)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-27-2005, 8:12 PM Reply   
Another idea would be to cut some production costs and market it as a $20-$30 game straight away. I think a lower initial cost might attract more of the non-wakeboard audience if the game was good enough to garner some decent reviews (like WBU1 did). I assume the lack of WBU1 copies in the market is due to poor sales at this point? You can find them all the time on Ebay, but you'd think they'd be in the used game stores at least.
Old     (jhoward)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-28-2005, 4:19 AM Reply   
Did they advertise it at any competitions. If not make a poster, something. Send a couple copies to boat and board dealer ships.
Old    lunaraven            07-28-2005, 3:57 PM Reply   
I dont believe it cost 3 Mil to make Unleashed, the engine as I understand it was modifed Tony Hawk so its not like they had to reinvent the wheel. As for the lack of reality a lot of non wakeboarders loved this game just for that reason. It just wasnt marketed very well.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-28-2005, 5:00 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding, wakeskating, have the top pros, the sickest customizable real-boat companies (malibus MC moombas etc.), be able to choose your board and binding setup from real companies (HL LF etc.) and make it a little more realistic by being able to progress up the ranks and not be able to do crazy tricks when you first begin. That would be perfect but the chances of a SMWU2, who knows!
Old     (liquidmarcus)      Join Date: May 2004       07-28-2005, 6:03 PM Reply   
The major thing that annoyed me is when you spin in the air while doing a grap, he put the rope over his head so he could keep the grab, very unrealistic.
Old    xtremebordgurl            07-29-2005, 9:03 AM Reply   
I would def. buy, they should throw in some wakeskating or at least make it possible to do lipslides on the wake. Defenitly need to be able to choose from more boards.