Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jdizzle78)      Join Date: May 2010       05-24-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
Does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to properly weight the 23V Epic, I am having a hard time cleaning up the port side wake. I am riding a 75ft at 22.4 mph, I have tried everything i can think of and the boat always tend to have a slight starboard lean. let me know the length, ballast for all three tanks, trim setting, and speed you are running at for optimal wakeboard wake.
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-24-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
John, I think I can help. What is happening sounds like you are filling up the rear tanks equally. With the 8.1L and an agressive prop that is standard, the boat will torque when underway. You will need to compensate for that when the boat is at rest by having it list about 6 inches or so on the port side. I dont know your level of riding or how massive you want to go, but a good start is to go around 1/3 to 1/2 on the right tank, 3/4 to full in the front tank, and 1/2 to 3/4 on the left tank. Start with the trim tab at 80% and slowly bring it up a little at a time until the wash on the left side is just behind the rider at whatever length. That should be good at 22.5 to 23.5 and 70-80 feet.

Also varies with the number in your crew. Try the above settings and go from there but the best advice is to make her lean to port while at rest. If you still cant clean it up then you may have to add an mph or two. The more weight you add the faster you'll need to go. The boat is also sensitive to where the crew is placed and the amount of their bouncing around, I've found that the more beer that gets consumed the harder it is to keep the wake right. Go figure.

If you want to push the size of the wake some more, keep the same basic ratios as I mentioned and add 200-300 in the front (favoring the front left a little). Then you can go up to 3/4 on the right, full on the left, and full in the front, you'll need to go faster if you do that. But the wake is huge with tons of boot at that setting

Hope that helps, good luck.
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-24-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
I usally ride with 3 max. That being said, I run a little over 1/2 in the front, 1/2 left and 1/4 in the right. Then have the passenger sit back left. I run the trim between 50-60%. You can ride this set up all the way down to about 21 mph and have a clean wake. The more you up the ballast the more speed you need.
Old     (Jdizzle78)      Join Date: May 2010       05-24-2010, 5:28 PM Reply   
Thanks to both of you for your help, I will try both, I will start by uping the speed, and putting more in the port.
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-25-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
John. Just saw on your profile that your in Colleyville. I'm in Grand Prairie and ride mostly JP and Arlington. I'd be happy to take you out and help out with the wake issues.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-25-2010, 12:42 PM Reply   
What year of 23V do you have...just asking, EPIC mod thread is where you should post alot of us over there.
Old     (Jdizzle78)      Join Date: May 2010       05-25-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
its a 2009. I have a lake house out at Bridgeport where I will leave her. i would love to get some advice from someone that has already worked the kinks out of theirs. I will check the Epic page as well. I havent been to joe pool are there nice areas to board?
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-25-2010, 1:43 PM Reply   
During the week and early weekends Joe Pool it really good. Most of the shores between the bridges you can ride so you have a line with a windblock from every direction. As the summer traffic picks up Arlington is a hidden gem. Only a few shores you can ride and not many windblocks, but never any boats... I'd be happy to bring your out on my boat one day. Usually take a crew of 3-4. Ill be back in Texas on the weekend of 5th of june. You should check out dallaswakeboarding.com also.
Old     (epicwinnipeg)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-25-2010, 7:27 PM Reply   
John,

i started a thread for this earlier this spring but can't seem to track it down now...

anyway, the offset is what really helped us dial in the wake and we have been running full front plus just under 400lbs of sand under bow seats, 5/8 left, 3/8 right, and 5-6 people on average. trim at 50%, 70-85' back is all good, and our speed likely isn't relevant for you as we ride a river. 22.6 against current, 26 with current