Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-23-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
I noticed yesterday that my engine is running at 200 degrees I know that's not that good but how bad is it ? And how can it fixed ?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-23-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
That's not too bad. Check the impeller and the raw water in take hose. Check the trans cooler on the inlet side.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-23-2007, 5:36 PM Reply   
what type of motor and size is it. i know that most marine motors are suppose to be around 175 but i think that the 380 marine power runs at 200 i believe. so it could be right for your motor. check to see what tept of a thermostat is in it too. if its a 200 degree one then that would be why. depending on whats easier to get too just check all of the cooling system. the impeller is a good thing to check too. the fins could be loosing they're stiffness and closing up at the rpm's come up.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-23-2007, 6:30 PM Reply   
If you have a closed cooling system running an antifreeze/water mix then you might have a 190° thermostat. If you are cooled by raw water it should be a 160° setting. Temperatures higher than that are from a faulty thermostat or, more likely, from an impeller problem, as Aaron stated.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-23-2007, 6:47 PM Reply   
it's a 91' Supra Sunsport w/ a PCM 351 the impeller was changed a year ago so should I check the therm. 1st ?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-23-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
It could be a bad temperature sending unit. A loose hose clamp can cause it to run hot too.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-23-2007, 7:30 PM Reply   
Ok cool I'll check that too you think it would be ok to wait and do all of that with my end of season maintenance or should I go ahead and do it now ?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-23-2007, 7:44 PM Reply   
Me personally I would want too fix the problem now. After the problem is located and fixed. That way you can test it in the water before it gets cold out. The other stuff can be done at end of season.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-23-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
Yea I guess you're right
Old     (ronskal)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-24-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
Always check your raw water impeller even if it's only one year old. These things go through torture and should be replaced yearly, or maybe every two years.

Some folks will get by by running them for more than one season and 99% of the time get away with it, but I'm not one to risk it. I rescued a broken down 03 X2 at my lake the other day with a disintegrated RW impeller. I have an 04 X2 and carry a spare on board. The guy changed it right there on the water after I loaned him the tools. Saved his Sunday on the water and he paid me what it cost, $30. He had just bought the boat used with the history unknown to him, so it could have been real old. The vanes were completely gone, I wonder where the heck they ended up!

Your thermostat could be messed up and check your trans cooler for debris like Aaron said.

Do not put this off!
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-24-2007, 1:01 PM Reply   
I'm gonna be working on it through out the week so i can test it this weekend I'll go ahead and pick up 1 or 2 impellers just in case my new therm. will be here tomorrow I figured it couldn't hurt to go ahead and change it
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-04-2007, 1:59 PM Reply   
Ok so I finally got around to pulling my impeller to replace it this weekend does this thing look bad ? Would it be my temp. problem ? Or do I have another problem ? Upload

(Message edited by lovin_the_wake on November 04, 2007)
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-04-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
What did the new one look like if it didn't look the same then yep that's your problem. I'm 99% sure the vanes on mine are straight so it looks bad but I'm not at a place where I can compare it to mine ...
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-04-2007, 3:17 PM Reply   
Yeah the vanes on the new one are straight
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-04-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
That impeller is still usable, but you should go ahead and replace it since it's out, and keep that one for a spare.

That's not the source of your temp issues. Check the tranny cooler for trash. If it will make it through the tranny cooler, odds are it's small enough to go on through the rest of the cooling system. Next place to check would be the thermostat, and go ahead and replace that too while it's apart.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-04-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
Awesome thanks for the info. I pulled my thermostat today along with the impeller so i could go ahead and change both of em just to be safe
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-04-2007, 5:36 PM Reply   
Check your temp gauge itself. Mine had a bad ground wire witch made it show a higher reading than it was running. I changed all that for a bad ground wire.
Old     (bmh2208)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-04-2007, 5:39 PM Reply   
You will want to check for air leaks in the water intake lines. My strainer was leaking and it was causing an overheating problem.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-04-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
What is the best way to check for air leaks in the line ?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-04-2007, 7:08 PM Reply   
I would Make sure all of the hose clamps are tight first.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-05-2007, 12:55 PM Reply   
yea the new ones are straight bc they havn't been INSTALLED yet. after the thing spins clockwise they will all be bent.

follow impeller to transcooler and get your fingers or little picks up there to the screen inside. not only do pieces of disintegrated impellers get lodged in there but sand, leaves, muck, anything from the lake or lake bottom, etc. also simply check your thru hull fitting for the same. sounds like your not getting ENOUGH water circulation driving up temp at low rpms/idle