Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (bakenwake)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-13-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
does anyone do a toeside whirly
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-13-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
is it even possible?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-13-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
a big worm looks a lot like a toeside whirly.

heres one of klye alberts doing a big worm seven, he falls but you get the idea.

www.wakepics.com/view_single.php/Kyle-Alberts-Big-Worm-7-Attempt_wakeboarding-photos.html?medid=20798
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-13-2007, 11:44 AM Reply   
a big worm? or an actual TS backroll with ole' 3? Worms are a rarity, but have been done.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-13-2007, 11:45 AM Reply   
big worm is kind of like a TS Whirly 5....not sure what the 360 version is called.

that kid from nebraska can do it...and I think that CIE BG guy just landed one. tough trick...major props...
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-13-2007, 11:46 AM Reply   
oops...I guess I was a little late.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-13-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
Brandon George has landed 2 of them now.

The BW looks Whirly-ish, except is in a front invert instead of a back.

CIE Allen was trying TS whirlys (TS backroll with a overhead BS 3 last year and it was all bad. He found incredicle line tension when trying to start the inverted spin, and ended up getting strung out upside down.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-13-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
so is anyone doing the new HS frontroll?

kidding!!!!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-13-2007, 12:29 PM Reply   
TS ole' BS 360...
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-13-2007, 12:30 PM Reply   
sick!!!! i also like the camera work when they zoom in. pretty cool.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-13-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
Not to toot my own horn but I can do big worms really easily.

TOOT TOOT!!!

But seriously not a hard trick just takes some balls to commit too.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-13-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
not to doubt your skills....but let's see it. I saw Dustin Swafford try a switch worm at SPF last weekend....other than that, never really seen a good clean worm.

*disclaimer....no need to even mention it....I've already decided it's probably best left alone.*
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-13-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
Wish I could remember who the kid was, but I saw someone land the trick. I was in Clearmont at the wakeboard camp a number of years back. No lie the kid could barely jump toeside, yet happened on a big worm. He claimed he was trying a toeside frontroll when his friend turned away from his landing side which sent him into the spin. He had them dialed. He didn't have much else, but the trick looked sick!
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-13-2007, 1:28 PM Reply   
I bet keith lyman could do it ;-)!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-13-2007, 1:32 PM Reply   
^^^^^Haa, Chuck taught him!

Good clean Big Worm dialed in.... SOB.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       08-13-2007, 1:48 PM Reply   
A big worm feels so sick to throw. Im getting the feel down now. Its kind hard to spot the water as you come around (cuz you have to spin fast) I can land on my board ever time, most of the time when I fall I'm to far over the front! (Im on a diet, 250lbs is a lot of meat to stop spinning once it gets going!) Mike any tips? (besides me tryn not to be a fat @$$ anymore?) I have not trown any in a while my arm has been killing me. I want to throw a few before the DRA this weekend.

Thanks on the Props Eric.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-13-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
BG, A big tip would be to exagerate the trip flip. This will free up the slack. When I do them there is really no tention in the line. Also having the boat driver make a slight turn of the boat will give you extra straight up pop and give you some slack in the line.
You are falling over the front because the rope is pulling you over. Get the slack and you will be fine.
And for the guy that doesnt believe me I will try to get some footage but I am usaully too lazy to video and not technical enough to put it on the computer. But I can definately do them.
Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-13-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
Kyle Alberts does switch worms like it is his job... well actually it kinda is his job :-)

check out him landing a couple in Updog (shameless plug).
Old     (wakeboardlf25)      Join Date: May 2007       08-13-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
is there a trick where u do a toeside backroll and throw ur arm over ur head like a whirly?? cuz i kno the big worm is a front roll ole 540 spin..but is there a ts backroll version?
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-13-2007, 3:49 PM Reply   
Back in the day parks did a ts backroll with a bs 3 overhead with the rope. It was in 12 honkeys, and maybe one other time somewhere.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-13-2007, 3:54 PM Reply   
I don't hink a TS backroll thrown like a whirly is really possible. The reason a whirly works is its a trip flip and generates slack that allows you to throw the trick. A TS Backroll is a progressive edge trick and thus you generate as much tension as possible off the top. I guess I shouldn't say "not possible" but instead, "difficult with the physics".
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-13-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
I completely agree Heavy, for the same reasons you mentioned. But aparently it has been done, according to Mr Murray.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-13-2007, 4:36 PM Reply   
For sure Mike can throw down the Big Worm, he has like a two page spread hung up in his house of him doing it! Mike, if you need video then you know where to go. ha
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       08-13-2007, 4:42 PM Reply   
Who is this Murray guy, What does he know? Haha

(Message edited by bigpapaf1f on August 13, 2007)
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-13-2007, 4:48 PM Reply   
Murray is right but the video is six pack that parks does that trick in. (god i am really a wakeboard nerd).
Travis when you coming up to the lake? I have started to ride hard again. My wife landed roll to revert this weekend. Anyway I would love to get a big worm on video with your super neato filming skills!!!!
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-13-2007, 5:48 PM Reply   
Thats good to hear man, everytime i saw you ride you always ripped. Doesn't surprise me she landed the roll to revert, thats sick. I will be there larbor day of course but i plan on going up there a couple weeks afterwards to actually get some good riding in, we should get some HD footy with "my neato film skillz".
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-13-2007, 7:30 PM Reply   
Travis I will be at tulloch for a week starting. Like the 8 through the 17th you should try to get up there then. All the tubers will have gone home.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-14-2007, 6:52 AM Reply   
hey mike...I didn't say I don't believe you...I just wanted to see it. and my statement was a play on your post...anyway maybe you'll have some footage after your trip. I'd watch any section of a vid that contains a big worm.

BG...ain't no thing...the big worm is legit and you deserve it for taking the beating to get there.
Old     (shaggy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       08-14-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
Nick Jones does a big worm with a nose grab, just sick!

(Message edited by shaggy on August 14, 2007)
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-14-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
Who?!??

Nick JONES!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-14-2007, 9:14 AM Reply   
BG can only do Big Worms when I'm driving. It's definitely all boat driver skill.

Ha, ha, ha.... Anywho.... BG's Big Worm is huge and sick. (I'm not sure if it's right to really get too descriptive of anyones worm).

BG, let's go ride before the weekend.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       08-14-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
Haha, Its true! Its all the Boat Driver! If you would have been at the hang time, I would have stuck it fo sho! Evan, Im down, but it will have to be the end of the week. I did a number on my knee. I just did a nose backroll and tried to add to much stezee and landed sideways. Whats crazy is when I fell my left knee hurt. Got up finshed my set. About a hour after I rode my right knee started killing me. Im riding the DRA no matter what! Pain or no pain, gotta do work!!!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-14-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
haha go BG. Looks like I need to come see the Kong ride this weekend.

Oh ya sorry for the hi jack. B.P.C....Mike Do you ever see Matt Yueyammy up at there anymore? That boy used to go huge back in the day.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-14-2007, 9:44 AM Reply   
I would like to see a grabbed worm that would be pretty cool. I have thought about doing a big worm crook where I rotate five then bring it back to three. And I have also thought of trying big johnsons but that might be a little too much balls for me.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-14-2007, 10:07 AM Reply   
Squid, Matt disappeared a long time ago. That guy used huge hoochie glides back in the day before I could really even wakeboard. I havent seen him in about five years.

There is nobody that can really wakeboard on tulloch, it is pretty much just a tubing lake. There is one kid marcus that is pretty good but I don't see him too much anymore and he blew out his knee.

OTher then that there is my protege Tego who will be coming up soon to represnt because my body is getting too old!
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       08-14-2007, 10:07 AM Reply   
I have been thinking the same thing, When I get them down im going to try and grab it melon.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-14-2007, 10:24 AM Reply   
Thats sucks Matt was such a good rider back then. You can't use the body is to old crap on me we just get out of bed the next day slower. Plus I have 10 years on you. Fool your the OG of Tulloch you better represent.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-14-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
Squid I think I got one last burst in me. I have been learning/working on a bunch of basic swith inverts that I should have learned a long time ago. I haven't tried to really progress in a couple years. Maybe a switch worm is in the future.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-14-2007, 1:08 PM Reply   
BG....wouldn't a melon worm start looking a lot like a melon crow 5 without a handle pass?

as a matter fact...that's exactly what it would be, right?
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       08-14-2007, 1:25 PM Reply   
Yep, That what it is, a over head crow mobe 5. If I land it with a grab, I will call it a "Kong Worm" Haha
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-14-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
very nice....Kong Worm....either that or Big Kong....it's a play on the original either way but gives you props for sure.

which makes me wonder....at what point does a grabbed trick get an entirely diffent name? why is a TS BR w/FS3 just that, while a nose grabbed TS BR w/FS3 a Pete Rose?....similar to a TS raley and an indy TS raley a.k.a batwing. I think I got those right...
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-15-2007, 3:23 AM Reply   
not to burst anyone’s bubble, but if you add a grab it's just a big worm with a grab not a new trick.

All the tricks mentioned above were named by the original inventor. some were invented with grabs.
Pete Rose - Byerly
A pete is a pete whether you grab it or not. (looks way better grabbed)

Batwing – Harwood
Back on the day, a FS raley required the entire board to be 10 degrees above your head.
Add the grab and it got it’s own point value with out the 10 degree rule.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-15-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
B.C.P. thats what I like to hear.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-15-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
huh....I really thought a pete HAD to be grabbed on the nose.

either way BG, it'll be sick...and you know CIE and company will be calling it the Kong Worm. good luck...and get that shizz on film.
Old     (kingsley)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-15-2007, 8:10 PM Reply   
no way thats impossible!
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-16-2007, 1:52 AM Reply   
Kong I gotta give it to ya.... you are very impressive for a big man. It gives me some hope as I like seeing the big guys that can throw down. I am only about 223lbs but I have age as my nemesis also!
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       08-16-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
Ya Ryan, I know. I said that more as a joke!

Gene Thank you very much for the kind words! That make me proud to be a big guy! I have always been big and I always will. I try 2 never let it stop me. Im on a diet but I will never let my self get under 225. I like being big! What can I say, Chicks dig the belly!!

Thanks Eric, I think I can do it. If I grab it right of the wake then throw it hard I think it can happin. But what to I know, I may just get worked, and not even to close. But its just water right? In my head I want to grab it like this (pic) It will be hard but worth a shot!
Upload
Photo by Walt
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-16-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
that's kinda what my grabbed crow looks like....except I can't quite get my left hand that far behind me....Umali would bust me for the Nelan grab! I'm just happy to be getting it.....and some of my crew are saying that once I get that dialed (it's a little inconsistent), I should be able to take to mobe pretty easy. I'm assuming that pic is your crow mobe, right? The worm seems like it might be extremely difficult with the posture and body position in your pick. It seems like you would want to be more extended and straight-legged, like a pencil.

Anyway....maybe I just need to go and huck a worm one time just to see what happens. "it's only water, right?" - agreed.....to an extent.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-16-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
I can actually get the grab on a crow but it does not help me progress to the Crow Mobe. I always seem to have to much line tension to pull it all the way around. When I am able to pull it around I nose dive into the water. That momentum thing you were referring to KONG.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-16-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
that's why my crows are inconsistent. sometimes i will get a good trip-flip and there will be plenty of slack in the line for a nice soft landing...and then the very next one will feel like i'm getting slung around like a ragdoll...maybe work on your "tripping" and that will help decrease the line tension?

how 'bout it kong...any other good advice for landing that huge melan crow mobe?
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-16-2007, 3:39 PM Reply   
I don't grab my crow mobe. But the key for the crow mobe is taking the trick straight up. I try to push my chest up as much as possible. Also you want to take very mello approach. Before I melloed out my approach I was landing maybe half of them. Now I would say I am like 80 to 90 percent on them. Also is is important to be very good a landing blind. I can do big worms and some other mobes but I like the feeling of the crow mobe best. Later, Mike
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-17-2007, 11:09 AM Reply   
Not to make Kyle Alberts better than what he already is, (cause he is pretty good) but that video clip, he was riding SWITCH also.
Old     (wakerider143)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-31-2007, 5:57 PM Reply   
Its definetly possible to do toeside whirlys. just very hard cuz u cant trip into the flip. It is called a six pack and was done by parks a while back.
Old     (wakerider143)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-31-2007, 5:57 PM Reply   
OH by the way it is a ts backroll with an ole backside 3