Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-05-2012, 6:19 AM Reply   
I have heard about Alot of new options like zero off and new viynl. I guess there was a thread on axis forums but seems to be down. Anyone have any pics or know details? Chatt?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-05-2012, 6:21 AM Reply   
Lots and lots of new stuff for 2013. New motor options, vinyl, special edition boats, etc. There's a ton of info on the axis forum.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-05-2012, 6:28 AM Reply   
Chatt prob has his order in already & his current vandall edition sold lol. Guess we cant convince him to get the new G23.

Im excited to see what the new Axis will offer!
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-05-2012, 6:40 AM Reply   
That forum is down hence my posting here
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-05-2012, 6:45 AM Reply   
I'm keeping mine until the end of the season at least. Believe it or not, I've been getting pm's like crazy with people wanting to buy my '12 already. I JUST got it dialed in, so it's not going anywhere for a few months.

Off topic, but after 2 seasons, I finally got the surf wave absolutely dialed in. I had always weighed my A22 like I weighed my other boats for surfing, which meant a lot of weight in the rear on the surf side, and a little weight up front. Well, we decided to try something different yesterday. I filled the nose pnp sac 100%. I also had 3 people sit in the nose of the boat - as much on the surf side as possible. I dropped the wedge, left the center tank empty, and filled the surf side rear ballast (about 1k total in the rear hatch). At 10.8 mph, the wave was huge, perfectly clean, and had a nice, long, pocket. It was as good of a wave as I have gotten behind a vlx and my old 230's. The more weight I put in the nose, the better it got. The only thing was the driver had to be careful not to sub the nose when someone fell.

Here's a picture of me surfing yesterday with my neice:
Attached Images

Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-05-2012, 6:47 AM Reply   
BTW, Mason, I just got on the axis forum, and it is up and running fine.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-05-2012, 7:13 AM Reply   
Response Error.

Technical description:
502 Bad Gateway - Response Error, a bad response was received from another proxy server or the destination origin server.

Get this every time. Maybe you send me the link you use
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-05-2012, 7:37 AM Reply   
http://www.axiswakeboardboats.com/vi...php?f=14&t=759
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-05-2012, 8:50 AM Reply   
Surf wake looks good Chatt. When do you want to meet up and try out my 23TWB?
Old     (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-05-2012, 8:53 AM Reply   
http://axisboatsinternational.com/ax...el_Change.html
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-05-2012, 9:59 AM Reply   
Jon, whenever I can get to nashvegas. I wish that they wouldn't have cancelled board bonanza. I used to go every year. The other two tournaments in nashville fall on my wife's birthday and my oldest daughter's birthday, so I don't ever make it to those. Do you ever make it down to the Chattanooga area?
Old     (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-05-2012, 10:09 AM Reply   
My real question is there going to be a 24ft boat this year. We are getting ready to get a 2013 but I can't get a solid answer. I will wait for the 24 if this is more than just rumor.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-05-2012, 10:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Do you ever make it down to the Chattanooga area?
Not by accident. Maybe we can work something out when it cools off a bit.
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-05-2012, 8:46 PM Reply   
Hey Chatt! Is the surf wake now better than your friends LSV ?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-05-2012, 10:24 PM Reply   
Which all means more cost and axis slowly pushing the bu price range. Seriously while I applaud axis hitting the water running with a budget conscious boat it is clearly not staying that way. I understand also the may want to offer some things due to customer feedback and info. If people want to drop 65k on a boat jump to a bu and step up. Don't give me Axis isn't that much....... You can't touch an A22 with essentials...... Pp ballast wedge stereo cover trailer racks mirror out the door for with taxes under 60 here.For the few k more u getting twice the finished product jumping to bu. I say that knowing full well the Vandall is by far my favorite OG. Him and Ricky G kill all these young bucks technicality with style. That's before the upgrades and price hike for 2013

Last edited by xstarrider; 07-05-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-05-2012, 10:25 PM Reply   
Btw any feedback on the goofy wave?
Old     (LightningRon)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-06-2012, 2:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
Which all means more cost and axis slowly pushing the bu price range. Seriously while I applaud axis hitting the water running with a budget conscious boat it is clearly not staying that way. I understand also the may want to offer some things due to customer feedback and info. If people want to drop 65k on a boat jump to a bu and step up. Don't give me Axis isn't that much....... You can't touch an A22 with essentials...... Pp ballast wedge stereo cover trailer racks mirror out the door for with taxes under 60 here.For the few k more u getting twice the finished product jumping to bu. I say that knowing full well the Vandall is by far my favorite OG. Him and Ricky G kill all these young bucks technicality with style. That's before the upgrades and price hike for 2013
I picked up a fully loaded 2012 A22 Vandall w/wetsounds for under 55K. So it can be done.
Old     (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-06-2012, 5:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Btw any feedback on the goofy wave?
I think the goofy wave behind the A22 is a little better. I will try to get a pick next time we ride. It has been pretty hot here so we just take few sets and try to get in before noon, never really have time to surf.
Old     (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-06-2012, 5:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
I agree that there is no such thing as a budget conscious boat. At least not for my budget. The A22 works for me because it is simple. We ride in saltwater year round and it is really tough on boats. The A22 SS is easy to clean, has a nice wake, and is simple to work on. Every little problem I have had I could fix myself. We are looking at getting a 2013 and I looked at the MXZ and the G23 also. I can buy two A22's for the price of a G23. The MXZ is 30% more. I don't know about you but when my wife sees 30% off anywhere she usually buys it if we need it or not. The extra cost is not justified for me. It is tempting but it is hard enough when one of the kids bumps the side with a board. or a board slips out and makes a little tear. Every year we have multiple pros on our boat and not one complains about the wake. The extra touch screens and electronics that some people have here usually equate to less time riding due to extra maintenance. Don't get me wrong I went to the factory last year and did a lake test on a MXZ and love the look and feel. It makes the Axis look cheap in the interior. But when it comes down to it I am buying my boat to ride and when I hit that "perfect wake" for me behind the Axis I couldn't give a Sh&^ less on how plush those seats are or what graphics I have on the side.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-06-2012, 5:46 AM Reply   
^^^^^ Well said.

Dirk,

I'm not saying the wave is better than a SANTE 230 or vlx or lsv, I'm just saying it felt as good as the wave that I used to get behind MY 230s' and MY old VLX. I've seen some monster waves out there, so I'm not about to say that the A22 produces a wave that is better than a VLX, LSV or 230. I don't doubt that people who really care about surfing can set those boats up perfect and could make a wave that is bigger than what my A22 produces.

In a nutshell, I always thought the A22 wave was adequate, but nothing to get too excited about. However, now that I know how to weigh the boat, I feel that the wave is as good as what I was getting out of my other boats. Fact is, I've been surfing for years and years, but never took it seriously. All I ever wanted to do was drink a beer, carve a little, and save getting hurt and learning tricks for the wakeboard. However, after dialing the wave in on my A22, I can consistently ride out 3's now - even with my big LF venture 5'6. I know that's nothing special for people who take surfing seriously, but for me, it raised the fun level a few notches.

The last LSV I rode behind had a particular system on it, which made the wave something special, so I can't comment on how it compares to the A22 - at least not now.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-06-2012, 9:40 AM Reply   
I think the wave looks great Chatt! Looks like axis is stepping it up next year too. I dont know why I couldnt access the forum before.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-06-2012, 1:05 PM Reply   
I also hope they stay true to the simple gauges and switches and stay away from Maliview. The simplest solutions are the best. I haven't had one issue with my ballast system on my boat EVER! Switch on tsunami fills till I flip it off. If it doesn't power up need new motor. Piece of cake. Thes bullcrap computer knows when it's full systems are a nightmare. While its cool as all heck to your stock buddies and even cool to some of us everyday riders to import your settings via USB. Have hands free auto adjustments by switching names, my system is always easy adjusted. Unfortunately companies don't see this and just want the digital age on a waterborne environment with heat. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know those are the 2 worst things for a computer. Well that and the Mastercradt name attached to you computer. WHAT!???!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-06-2012, 1:16 PM Reply   
The gauges are going to remain very similar to what is being used now. The high flow ballast rocks. I can fill and dump almost 4k in plumbed in ballast in my boat in the neighborhood of 10 minutes.
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-06-2012, 3:57 PM Reply   
Chat, the reason I asked was that I was thinking about going with a axis this time instead of a lsv. Don't want to go backwards with wave size. 17 year old son keeps asking to take the boat on his own. Maybe the 23 won't be priced too crazy. I know the lsv has gone up about 6 to 7 k since I bought my 11
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-09-2012, 6:11 AM Reply   
Well, the LSV produces an awesome wave. You really ought to just demo both boats and see what you think. With the new options that are going to be offered on the LSV for '13, which will impact surfing significantly, you may want to opt for the LSV if money is not an issue. I'm thrilled with what I'm getting out of my A22. I had a ton of neices and nephews in town over the 4th of July through yesterday, and the wave was so good that I was getting really close to sticking 3's with kids on the board with me. I was able to teach my 10 year old neice to surf and drop the rope in one day.

Moral of the story is that the lsv may give you a slightly better wave, and more options on how to produce that wave, than the A22; however, the A22 wave is still really nice.
Attached Images

Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-09-2012, 6:16 AM Reply   
Could you post a video of you getting up on the surfboard with an extra rider?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-09-2012, 6:32 AM Reply   
Sure. My sister in law did some filming, so I'll ask her to email me a vid of me starting out with an extra rider. What I do is stand on the board, while keeping it balanced under water, and have whoever is going to ride with me stand on the board in front of me while I hold the rope. It's easiest if I have my arms around the second rider, so I don't have to worry about her falling. Once we get up, I just have the extra rider move to the front of the board and toss the rope.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-09-2012, 6:34 AM Reply   
Thanks. I did this when my kids were smaller, but didn't have any luck last time we tried.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-09-2012, 6:38 AM Reply   
It's much much easier to start with the board under you in the water. Also, having a big meaty surf rope helps a ton.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-09-2012, 6:40 AM Reply   
I had the board out in front.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-09-2012, 6:46 AM Reply   

Terrible quality, and a boring video, but I hope this helps. Oh, and we didn't have a ton of weight in the boat when this vid was taken.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-09-2012, 7:01 AM Reply   
I'll try that next time. Not sure if I can get my broadcast under me like that though, never tried.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-09-2012, 7:13 AM Reply   
If I can get that big 5'6 venture under me, you can get that broadcast under you. For surfing with kids, a big board is a must. I've ridden a bunch, but I love my old venture.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-09-2012, 8:36 AM Reply   
Chatt, do you know if there will be a 24' model? If so, any info?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-09-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
I'm not aware of a 24' Axis.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-17-2012, 8:47 AM Reply   
Hey chatt how do you weight the A22 for wakeboarding? I am looking at getting one and I know some people use different sacks in the plug and play system. Just curious as you seem to be the authority on Axis around here
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-17-2012, 9:44 AM Reply   
As far as motors go, they are just making all the same options as Malibu so the lineup is identical.

The 2013 330hp motor IS the AR335, no changes except for the name.
The Monsoon 350 is technically the same motor as the 330, not worth the $1200 option in my opinion.

No 24' Axis for 2013...
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-17-2012, 9:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningRon View Post
I picked up a fully loaded 2012 A22 Vandall w/wetsounds for under 55K. So it can be done.
With the AR335 motor probably. I doubt you got the LS3 for that price?
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-17-2012, 10:23 AM Reply   
Is the vinyl thicker or just textured for 2013???
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-17-2012, 1:25 PM Reply   
I can assure you that boat did not have the LS3 for that price.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-17-2012, 1:26 PM Reply   
Mine's for sale with a full crazy wetsounds system, z5 and the ls3 for $63.5k, and it's used.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-17-2012, 1:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
I can assure you that boat did not have the LS3 for that price.
Exactly my point.
I know I posed my statement as a question though...
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-17-2012, 5:41 PM Reply   
I can surf with my 6 year old my 7 year old and my 11 year old niece but how did you get up with two kids at once?
Old     (LightningRon)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-18-2012, 7:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveflat View Post
With the AR335 motor probably. I doubt you got the LS3 for that price?
No it doesn't have the LS3.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-19-2012, 12:16 PM Reply   
If I want to load it up with weight will i need to purchase one with a bigger motor? I am trying to stay within my budget. I was thinking id usually ride the stock weight with the 750s rear plug and play and axis front sack. Thanks!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-19-2012, 12:34 PM Reply   
It depends on your altitude and how aggressive of a prop you are willing to run.

I know I can run 1000lb bags in the rear, wedge down, center and front full, and plane out with the 1235 high altitude prop with the ls3. I'm not at much altitude.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if the 335 would plane with 750's completely full in the rear with the wedge down and everything else full, unless you were running the core prop.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-19-2012, 12:50 PM Reply   
Wouldnt or would? I am in michigan and ill be running the 1235 High altitude. How much of an add is a bigger engine typically?
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-19-2012, 1:59 PM Reply   
bob,
I have the 335 and run with the 750's in the rear plus the wedge with the 2315 prop. all the other props will not get u out of the water. You will have to have people sit in the nose of the boat, but the wake will be super huge. If i was doing it over again I would buy the big engine and never look back, I regret it.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-19-2012, 2:31 PM Reply   
For '13 the big motor is like an 8k option (ls3), which is why you should just buy my '12.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-19-2012, 3:06 PM Reply   
Chat find me a buyer for my 05 21v and I'll come get it
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-19-2012, 4:02 PM Reply   
Chat? Didn't you usually have your Nautiques sold by now?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-19-2012, 4:14 PM Reply   
We run 2500 plus wedge in a buddy's axis just fine. With the right prop the perfect pass is spot on as well. The wake is huge. I have never studied his boat in depth but I'd be really surprised if he had an ls3. REALLY surprised.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-19-2012, 4:51 PM Reply   
My buddy has an a22 with ls3 and it is great. We run 1100s in rear. The sack under the chillax seat and a bow triangle when we have a small crew. It jumps out of the hole and locks on speed quick. If I was buying an axis I would go with the ls3 no doubt about it. Our other buddy has the 335 and it pisses him off that he can't run near that weight and get on plane.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-19-2012, 9:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reez View Post
Wouldnt or would? I am in michigan and ill be running the 1235 High altitude. How much of an add is a bigger engine typically?
For the 2012, it was a $7k option. For '13 it's a 8k option.

With the 1235 prop you can get away with 750s in the rear with the wedge down. Fill the bow sac full too. It'll take a second to get on plane but you can.
Randall and Trever both have the 335 motor and I can tell you their wake is no slacker
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-20-2012, 6:51 AM Reply   
I can assure you if you have at least 6 people in the back of the boat with 750's in the back plus the wedge that 335 will not get on plane and I live in Ohio no elevation stuff to worry about. I usually have to have 3 people in the bow to get on plane when I have a lot of people with me or drain some out the back. That is with the 2315 prop which is by far the best one to get you out of the water. The 5 blade will run lower rpms, but you can't put as much weight in it and the 1235 is the a dog out of the hole as well. Even with draining out the back though the only boat I think that beats the wake is the g23.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-20-2012, 7:04 AM Reply   
Yep, with the 1" hoses and bigger pumps, you can easily run 750's in the rear, wedge down, 950 pnp bow sack, 1000 bow filler cushion and a floor sack with the 335 motor. Just have to remember to hit "empty" when your rider goes down, and "fill" once you are about to get on plane. The ballast fills a lot faster than the 3/4" set up... Andrew, what are the specs on that 2315 prop?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-20-2012, 7:18 AM Reply   
Yes, Vandall's boat currently has the small motor. I talked about it with him over lunch in Tampa. He said he wished he had the ls3. He's running a hyper aggressive prop to get his on plane.

Ron - I sold my '10 230 in the fall, my '09 230 in the early spring, and my '08 230 in the spring. I sold my '11 A22 in the early spring, I'm not sure when my '12 will sell. I talked to a prospective buyer last night who is interested. He basically confirmed that people who price a '13 vandall with the 350hp motor, stereo pack 2, and standard bimini are going to be in the low 60's. That means for the same money, a buyer can pick up my '12 with the big motor, z5 and crazy wetsounds system. Mine probably won't sell until enough people come to that realization. Who knows?

Last edited by chattwake; 09-20-2012 at 7:23 AM.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-20-2012, 9:10 AM Reply   
Anything will sell, depending on the price. My point in asking is are you financially better off dumping your axis or Nautique each year? I know you have only sold one axis so far.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-20-2012, 10:10 AM Reply   
What is the opinion on the zero off option? Is it worth it? The PP on my supra was a nightmare and never worked properly
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-20-2012, 11:25 AM Reply   
what is the cost for the zero off upgrade?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-20-2012, 12:17 PM Reply   
I did as well selling my axis, in terms of return on investment, as I did with my nautiques.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-20-2012, 12:18 PM Reply   
I love the paddle wheel system on my A22. I ride on bodies of water with current from time to time and the paddle wheel system always give you an accurate speed.
Old     (constructor)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-20-2012, 5:10 PM Reply   
The Zero Off works better and easier than any PP I have seen.