Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    Hydrodynetahoe            06-03-2012, 8:14 PM Reply   
whats the biggest wakeboard boat you could tow behind a 2009 acura mdx
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-03-2012, 8:26 PM Reply   
My Dad tried towing a pontoon behind his 09 MDX, it didn't like it at all. Threw it all over the road and was very sluggish on the ramp.
Old    Hydrodynetahoe            06-03-2012, 8:27 PM Reply   
its going to be towing a boat up to lake tahoe
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-03-2012, 8:32 PM Reply   
With the right equipment the tow capacity is 5000#. Figure about 1100# for a twin axle trailer and 500# at least for fuel and gear means you have 3400# of boat at the most. So a Tige RZR 20' or a Sanger V215 21' 8" or a Malibu VTX 20'
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-03-2012, 8:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyart View Post
With the right equipment the tow capacity is 5000#. Figure about 1100# for a twin axle trailer and 500# at least for fuel and gear means you have 3400# of boat at the most. So a Tige RZR 20' or a Sanger V215 21' 8" or a Malibu VTX 20'
In that scenario you better be sure the MDX has no gear, luggage, or passengers either. Every pound you put in that SUV effectively reduces its tow capacity. People like to forget that inconvenient fact.

Bottom line, I would never dream of towing a wakeboat with a short wheelbase, 6 cyl Honda, especially at high altitude.
Old    Hydrodynetahoe            06-03-2012, 8:43 PM Reply   
I was thinking a used boat that someone could get for under 25000
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-03-2012, 9:16 PM Reply   
You are simply wrong DBC. Every pound of tongue weight reduces the load capacity of the tow vehicle. There is no affect on load capacity from the tow capacity.
Further, there are many short wheelbase SUV's that make excellent tow vehicles. The MDX is one of them. I have towed my D215 over several mountain passes higher than Tahoe, on several occasions with a six cylinder short wheelbase SUV. Not only does it tow well but it will do it on cruise control. Mine is a Saab 9-7x which is a very similar vehicle in capability and size to the MDX.
You don't have to dream of towing a boat with something smaller than a Suburban but it is only your opinion.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-03-2012, 9:22 PM Reply   
Most of the older 20 and 21' boats are not as wide and weigh less. Just research to find the weight when you find one you like. There are lots under 3000# which give's you more leeway for gear in the boat. Also make sure your MDX has the right equipment. Without the tow stuff the capacity is dropped to 3500# on the MDX.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       06-03-2012, 9:30 PM Reply   
A jet ski.
To lake Tahoe!!?? Good luck
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-03-2012, 10:46 PM Reply   
Gayper!!!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-04-2012, 1:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
You are simply wrong DBC. Every pound of tongue weight reduces the load capacity of the tow vehicle. There is no affect on load capacity from the tow capacity.
Art,

Are you saying that a fully loaded MDX tows the same as an empty one? That's what is sounds like.

I was simply referring to the vehicle's Gross Combined Weight Rating? It's the maximum allowable combined mass of a towing road vehicle, passengers, fuel, and cargo in the tow vehicle, plus the mass of the trailer and cargo in the trailer

Since the calculation of GCWR includes the weight of the tow rig and its contents, then my statement is true. "Every pound you put in that SUV effectively reduces its tow capacity" since the remaining weight allowance before exceeding GCWR becomes smaller and smaller. The key word is "effectively."

I cooked up a few scenarios just to make sure I was thinking clearly about this. If I do this right, it will actually answer the OP's question of "whats the biggest wakeboard boat you could tow behind a 2009 acura mdx?"

SCENARIO 1: Unrealistic, but technically possible:
MDX GCWR: 10,053 lbs.
MDX (empty): 4,669 lbs.
Driver: 150 lbs. (small)
Passenger(s): none
Fuel: 30 lbs. (5 gallons, about 1/4 full)
Gear: none
Effective tow capacity (the amount that's left over): 5,200 lbs.

So even in the most optimistic scenario, you only have an allowance of 5,200 lbs. for the boat, trailer, gas, and gear. Even a 20' wakeboat can easily exceed that in real world conditions.

Now a more realistic scenario... the MDX is fully loaded for a weekend at Tahoe.

SCENARIO 2: Reality check:
MDX GCWR: 10,053 lbs.
MDX (empty): 4,669 lbs.
Driver: 200lbs. (avg. middleaged American guy)
Passenger(s): 4*150 = 600 lbs.
Fuel: 128 lbs. (21 gallons, full)
Gear: 200 lbs.
Effective tow capacity (the amount that's left over): 4,250 lbs.

All I did was add passengers, full tank of gas, and some gear for the weekend and the effective tow capacity went down by almost 1,000 lbs. I honestly don't know of any wakeboats + trailers + gas + gear that weigh less than 4,250 lbs.

So you see, Art, it's really not an opinion... just some basic math.

Now for the opinion part... (look away now if opinons offend you). If you are set on an inboard, I would stick to a direct drive ski boat and a single axle trailer. But since you will be on Tahoe, I actually think an I/O is your best bet. They come in short, light lenghts (e.g. 18') and they probably handle the Tahoe chop better. That math on these ligher boats will work better with the MDX.

Quote:
I have towed my D215 over several mountain passes higher than Tahoe, on several occasions with a six cylinder short wheelbase SUV. Not only does it tow well but it will do it on cruise control. Mine is a Saab 9-7x which is a very similar vehicle in capability and size to the MDX.
This made me chuckle... next you are going to tell me you can't even feal the boat behind you.

I don't deny that you tow your Sanger with a Saab. And that's fine for you. But I wouldn't be surprised if you regularly exceed your GCWR. Maybe you don't care. But I think you'll find that you are in the minority on this. I almost never see midsize SUV's towing wakeboats. I believe the reason is what I just demonstrated.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-04-2012, 1:58 AM Reply   
^^^^^ what he said.

We have an MDX and I would be nervous to tow a wave runner or two with it.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-04-2012, 6:19 AM Reply   
I tow a 2006 Centurion Elite V with dual axle boatmate trailer with a 2011 Honda Pilot. The boat itself is 2900 lbs. Does pretty good. It's plenty stable and brakes just fine. Struggles a little bit powerwise, but not too bad. Not sure how it's going to do on steep mountain roads. I also only tow about 15-20 minutes away from my house.

The MDX is actually a stout tow vehicle. In my opinion, it can handle a boat up to 3,000 pounds on in-town towing.

Nervous to tow a wave runner on a car that has a capacity of 5,000 lbs? LOL. I know a guy that towed his wave runner with a Subaru Impreza WRX...
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-04-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
I had to move my 2008 210TE with my wifes 2010 MDX about 100 yards down the road. I wouldnt pull it futher then that, I was not a fan, it didnt handle it very well.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-04-2012, 7:18 AM Reply   
I didn't even read the question and I already knew the answer...NO!!!!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-04-2012, 2:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
You are simply wrong DBC...
Funny... still no response from Art. I wonder if he still believes I'm "simply wrong."

Maybe he's off trying to trade his Saab in for a real tow vehicle.

I know, I know... that was mean. I'm just teasing.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-04-2012, 3:14 PM Reply   
DBC

I am with you on this. The comparison of a MDX to Saab 97 is not really apples to apples either.

The MDX is a unibody construction and the Saab97 is the old Trailblazer platform that is not unibody. That Saab platform had a max tow rating of 6800 lbls in SS TrailBlazer trim. When I first bought my boat "Supra 22" I had a Trailblazer SS and had to get rid of it, because the boat made the vehicle squirrely. There was plenty of power and brakes but there was just not enough wheelbase or weight to overcome the boat when at speed. Also the transmission sucked but that is unrelated. IMO you would be ok with a ski boat. But the bigger more modern wake boats your asking for problems weather its with the boat or just wearing out the MDX. This is not to suggest you need a diesel but if a bigger boat is what you want you'll need to add a better tow rig as well.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       06-04-2012, 3:43 PM Reply   
just sell the MDX - get a truck and a few extra G's to make your boat budget 30K instead of 25K.
thats a WIN-WIN.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-04-2012, 5:20 PM Reply   
DBC
Mark the day I COMPLEATLY AGREE WITH YOUR POSTS ABOVE. When you tow with a short wheel base vehicle you run the risk of the trailer steering the tow vehicle should something go wrong. Also check with your insurance and make sure you dont void your policy by overloading .
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-04-2012, 7:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Mine is a Saab 9-7x which is a very similar vehicle in capability and size to the MDX.
You drive a Trailblazer with a straight 6. Similar in size, far different in terms of chassis and powerplant. Trailblazer will easily be a much better tow vehicle.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       06-04-2012, 8:02 PM Reply   
DBC is of course correct, the rating you see on the vehicle is with driver and no other gear. In short, the MDX will likely be right at the max or even over for most any wakeboat, anything in the 20-21 foot range will be right at or over it's top limit even with no passengers. If you fill it with 3-5 other people and gear you will definitely be over

Please keep in mind two things: one, driving right at max load gives you the increased potential to hurt or kill someone should something happen, especially in a short wheelbase model. Two: if you would be in an accident, you can bet that the insurance company will be looking up and calculating load and if you exceeded the rated capacity of your SUV, you will likely not get any money from the insurance agency, thereby exposing your personal assets to suit and perhaps even negligence civil penalties.

If you're just pulling a back street to a local dock, well you might be fine, but personally I'd be very careful about using the MDX as a long term solution to towing a 20+ foot v-drive boat. If you have any significant net worth, it's just not worth exposing yourself to the liability.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-04-2012, 8:14 PM Reply   
I personally would never tow a boat with any unibody passenger vehicle. You could tow a pair of wave runners or a jet boat, small jet boat. Or a ski Nautique 2001, that's the MAX I'd do. An MDX is not an SUV, its a glorified station wagon/mini van...
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       06-04-2012, 8:19 PM Reply   
And up to Tahoe! The mountain passes whether it be 80 or 50 is no joke
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-04-2012, 8:26 PM Reply   
Our MDX tows well over some steep hills that we have here, granted we have never done long trips with it. We have a response LXi on a single axle trailer w/brakes. I would say your max would be like a Nautique 200 or an X2.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-04-2012, 9:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
DBC, Mark the day I COMPLEATLY AGREE WITH YOUR POSTS ABOVE....
This made me smile. See, Michael... I'm not such a bad guy.

Let's give peace a chance!!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-05-2012, 11:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Maybe he's off trying to trade his Saab in for a real tow vehicle
Well, that's never going to happen. I see you have a Denali. I have one brother with an Escalade, a sister with a Danali, and another brother with a Denali and a Suburban 2500. I''m definitely happy I have my little short wheelbase Saab. (Okay, it's an AmeriSaab if you want to be picky but there are several differences from a Trailblazer that were important to me). I had the option of buying an MDX or Denali but chose the Saab 9-7x over it because it suited me better. I've towed my boat with the 3/4 ton Suburban and it is certainly not better than mine.

The difference in load capacity between the Denali and the MDX or mine is about 400# on the vehicle. That's significant but if you add in the extra tongue weight of a larger boat the Denali can tow it really works out to about one extra person. Also, most people would only travel with 4 adults in an MDX as a maximum. If you use your numbers the MDX could be loaded and tow an equipped Sanger V210 on a single axle trailer with surge brakes without being over any limit. Being an AWD the stability is good, and Acura's stability control system is designed to compensate for trailer load and sway if it needs to. As far as altitude goes their is about 20% power drop at Lake Tahoe for normally aspirated cars, and boats, but the 300 hp MDX still has 240 hp available which is more than enough to haul it fully loaded. It might have an issue if the load drops the rear suspension too much as they don't have air assist to level the ride and a change in pitch can affect any vehicles ride stability. Carrying a heavy load with it regularly, or for long distances might warrant a kit added.

Anyway, I don't duck discussions. While it sometimes seems to me I'm on this site constantly, I actually don't get a chance all the time. In fact I wrote this earlier today but got busy with other things before I sent it and my session timed out and I lost all my typing when I tried to send it.
The GVCWR is an important number and I did not bother to search it up before I posted, so my bad. You are right that, on the MDX, and mine, that the total load in the vehicle reduces the effective towing capacity but it's not every pound. And there are wake boats and others that can be towed by it easily. I concede the point to you on combined weight, with some adjustment. I don't believe in the common WakeWorld belief that all tow vehicles should be raised diesel dueliies. This was a real question from someone who has a fine automobile about it's capability.
Old     (Jape)      Join Date: May 2012       06-06-2012, 12:55 AM Reply   
kind of off topic, but what about the new 2012 ford explorers. They are a mid sized suv that is supposed to have a 5000 tow capacity, and they get good gas mileage
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-06-2012, 12:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Well, that's never going to happen. I see you have a Denali. I have one brother with an Escalade, a sister with a Danali, and another brother with a Denali and a Suburban 2500. I''m definitely happy I have my little short wheelbase Saab. (Okay, it's an AmeriSaab if you want to be picky but there are several differences from a Trailblazer that were important to me). I had the option of buying an MDX or Denali but chose the Saab 9-7x over it because it suited me better. I've towed my boat with the 3/4 ton Suburban and it is certainly not better than mine.

The difference in load capacity between the Denali and the MDX or mine is about 400# on the vehicle. That's significant but if you add in the extra tongue weight of a larger boat the Denali can tow it really works out to about one extra person. Also, most people would only travel with 4 adults in an MDX as a maximum. If you use your numbers the MDX could be loaded and tow an equipped Sanger V210 on a single axle trailer with surge brakes without being over any limit. Being an AWD the stability is good, and Acura's stability control system is designed to compensate for trailer load and sway if it needs to. As far as altitude goes their is about 20% power drop at Lake Tahoe for normally aspirated cars, and boats, but the 300 hp MDX still has 240 hp available which is more than enough to haul it fully loaded. It might have an issue if the load drops the rear suspension too much as they don't have air assist to level the ride and a change in pitch can affect any vehicles ride stability. Carrying a heavy load with it regularly, or for long distances might warrant a kit added.

Anyway, I don't duck discussions. While it sometimes seems to me I'm on this site constantly, I actually don't get a chance all the time. In fact I wrote this earlier today but got busy with other things before I sent it and my session timed out and I lost all my typing when I tried to send it.
The GVCWR is an important number and I did not bother to search it up before I posted, so my bad. You are right that, on the MDX, and mine, that the total load in the vehicle reduces the effective towing capacity but it's not every pound. And there are wake boats and others that can be towed by it easily. I concede the point to you on combined weight, with some adjustment. I don't believe in the common WakeWorld belief that all tow vehicles should be raised diesel dueliies. This was a real question from someone who has a fine automobile about it's capability.
Hey Art, welcome back to the discussion. Don't take me too seriously. I was only kidding about you disappearing. I realize there is more to life than WW, for all of us.

I didn't really follow your fuzzy math in comparing a Denali to your Saab Trailblazer. I also can't fathom how you think a 3/4 ton Suburban is equal to your rig. That defies all logic, but you are going to believe what you believe.

Despite the numbers and the logic, you seem to be saying that your Saab or an MDX can handle a long trip in the mountains like the OP is suggesting... May I ask... have you ever been up the Siskyou pass towing a wakeboat on a hot summer day? Just curious. I wouldn't have jumped on the on OP if he said he was doing local towing. But he said Tahoe! That's the kind of trip that usually includes a family in the SUV, gear in the SUV, and overflow gear in the boat. Stupid and unsafe.

The other thing I noticed about your new post... in suggesting the Sanger V210 on a single axle trailer, you are effectively saying the same thing as me. Didn't I recommend a ski boat on a single axle trailer? What do you think a Sanger V210 is...? It is the v-drive version of the Sanger DLX ski boat. They have the same specs... 20'8" 2,890lbs. What happend to your first suggestion... 3,400 lb. boats with a tandem trailer??

Yes, we have a 2010 Denali XL. We got it only after we realized our 2008 Suburban 1500 wasn't enough to comfortably tow our 21' wakeboat on family trips from Portland down to Shasta, or over the Cascades into central Oregon. I personally didn't like how the Suburban lagged up grades at 4500 rpm and 45mph, all the while watching my tranny fluid spike at 235 degrees. But that's just me. Are you honestly suggesting the Saab with two less cylinders, short wheelbase, and smaller tranny would somehow be better in that situation?

I have even towed boats with mid-sized SUV's way more capable than an MDX or your Saab (we also have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Hemi V8, load leveling suspension, and HD tow pkg that serves as my daily driver and backup tow vehicle... but around town only). So I know how it feels to have the boat tugging you around in an smaller SUV... acceptable around town, but not on long trips and highway speeds.

So my advice to the OP has less to do with the numbers, although they are telling, and more to do with real world experience.

Like you, I'm not a guy who thinks everybody needs a 3/4 ton diesel. But I do feel, based on my experience, that there is NOTHING more frustrating than having your precious family in the car and feeling stressed out because you are underpowered, getting passed by semi trucks on the grade, and worrying if you tranny might fall out any minute. It's a real "white knuckle" experience and it sucks royally. So I choose to drive a 6.2L AWD V8 with tranny cooler, load leveling suspension, a GCWR of 14,000 lbs, and a tow capacity of 8,000 lbs. (3,000 lbs. more than my boat weighs). Is that overkill...? You might say yes. But I say that driving stress-free with my little chicketies in the back seat is priceless!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-06-2012, 1:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jape View Post
kind of off topic, but what about the new 2012 ford explorers. They are a mid sized suv that is supposed to have a 5000 tow capacity, and they get good gas mileage
You guys kill me... what are you towing with these rigs?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-06-2012, 1:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jape View Post
You guys kill me... what are you towing with these rigs?

The GCVW of the Explorer is 10,096. Do I really need to do that math again??

Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-06-2012, 2:52 AM Reply   
It's not fuzzy logic, it's empirical knowledge. I pulled the same boat on the same roads with the Sub and my SUV two weeks apart. The Suburban had automatic 4WD instead of AWD and was four years older. The engine was also less powerful. Mine was a more comfortable drive.
I gave the OP an answer to his question which was completely accurate. That is how big a boat you could tow with and MDX. I then listed three boats that weighed less than that as examples of what he might consider. His profile says he has an Expedition so I assume he can guess some of the differences. I can pull my boat out of the lake on a gravel ramp with my AWD Sienna van but I don't plan on using it to haul over the mountains back home. In my later post I mentioned the V210 because there would be few that would not agree with it being a capable wake boat but you had stated you could not think of one that met your scenario 2 requirements.
As I stated, the combined vehicle rating is important and I misread some of the intent of your post. However, (don't you just love when someone adds a 'but' to the sentence so that you now know nothing they said before really mattered) the information I gave was correct..

Hey Marit, have you read any of this? (I figure we're just spouting off a bunch of internet opinions that no one is actually listening to)

Oh, and I have driven from Shasta to Coos Bay but in a sports car so that does not really matter. I have also driven past Tahoe in a 350 powered cube van hauling a car and towing another on a trailer. Total weight of 17,000#. My boat summers seven hours from home so I am familiar with hauling it over mountain passes and clearly understand what is necessary to handle that.

Last edited by rallyart; 06-06-2012 at 2:54 AM.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-06-2012, 3:26 AM Reply   
Yep... at this point Art, we are just two guys talking to eachother. Haha. Don't you love when that happens.

Cheers.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-06-2012, 6:03 AM Reply   
The interesting part of this thread is that there is another thread with him asking what is the best wakeboat for less than $25k ... OP was being a little picky in there too.

The mountains are really what muddies the water here. The Mid-Size SUV can handle around-town towing in the less than 55mph range with relative ease, especially if the area is relatively flat. Highways and mountains are a whole other beast.

If it was a once per year trip, I would tell you to go for it, and take it slow and be careful. If you're doing it every weekend, you should just bit the bullet and get a larger vehicle.

And to add one more boat to the list of lightweights, Centurion Elite V (2006 and earlier, Non-C4) is a 2900 pounder. Also it's a deeper V that helps it handle chop nicely.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-06-2012, 8:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
The interesting part of this thread is that there is another thread with him asking what is the best wakeboat for less than $25k ... OP was being a little picky in there too..
Yeah, that was another reason I wasn't liking the MDX. Go and read his other thread and he's basically trying to find the biggest, heaviest boat with the most freeboard to handle the Tahoe chop... all for under $25K. Doesn't sound like a guy who's interested in 2,900 lb. boats.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-06-2012, 6:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Okay, it's an AmeriSaab if you want to be picky but there are several differences from a Trailblazer that were important to me

The difference in load capacity between the Denali and the MDX or mine is about 400# on the vehicle. That's significant but if you add in the extra tongue weight of a larger boat the Denali can tow it really works out to about one extra person.
What's the differences...some trim pieces? I've been in and/or driven several 9-7x's, Trailblazers, Trailblazer SS's, Envoy's, etc. You drive a Trailblazer, deal with it. That's not a bad thing either, and they are decent tow rigs for their size.

The MDX has a peaky, typical Honda V6 powerplant. Peak HP numbers don't mean a lot in towing. You also need to consider the transmission, brakes, chassis along with the motor. It may be similar in size to your vehicle, but it is VERY different.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-07-2012, 8:23 AM Reply   
This is getting a little off topic but the 9-7x has different shock valving, chassis busing durometer, AWD instead of 4WD, air suspension and trailer two package as standard, a lower ride height, and a tighter turn radius than the Envoy or Trailblazer. As I mentioned, I chose the 9-7x over the MDX so I did not think they were the same and, for me, the differences were significant. That doesn't make the MDX a bad vehicle.
The most important difference between the Trailblazer and the 9-7x is that instead of having a useful cup holder on the console you have the key to start the truck so you feel like you are in your boat. Okay, that means that your large Coke gets spilled on your lap sometimes, but that's one of the joys of owning a quirky vehicle.
(As a side note, the 9-7x Aero -Trailblazer SS- is the fastest 1/4 mile car Saab has ever had their name on)

Last edited by rallyart; 06-07-2012 at 8:25 AM.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-07-2012, 8:42 AM Reply   
Guys my main point about the Saab97 and Trailblazer was they are body on frame rail design like a truck. The MDX is a unibody vehicle so there is not under structure to the MDX. The weight of the boat has to be dispersed through the body of the suv not into a substructure. That is why the Saab to MDX for towing is not apples to apples comparison. I personally would not want a unibody vehicle to tow a boat any distance. The Saab is prob a wonderful suv, I loved my TBSS it was also lowered same as the Saab and came in AWD and 2WD not 4WD and the shocks and breaks are not the same as compared to a regular TB.