Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old    upupnaway            02-20-2004, 5:19 PM Reply   
I am helping my buddy buy his first board. He is 6'4", and must weigh 260. Right now, I am leaning towards the motive 144.
He is a newbie, and not very agile yet. he has a tendency to ride flat, not very good at edging yet, and my parks kills him every time. He has more luck on the project 142, so I am leaning towards a continuos rocker.
What do you big dudes ride, and what does the board ride like?
Thanks.
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-20-2004, 5:23 PM Reply   
I have a guy whos 220 riding a 141 Absolute but if I was in your situation Id steer him towards a motive for sure its supposed to be a good alround board and he should progress on it as quickly as he will on any other board really
Old    walt            02-20-2004, 6:02 PM Reply   
I'm 6-4 235 and My first board was a motive 144. It is a easy board to start out on for sure but I would buy something with a subtle three stage rocker like the hyperlite premier.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       02-20-2004, 6:07 PM Reply   
Motive is perfect, when he gets better you can have the fins changed out for Premier fins and the board works great. Especially for big guys.

But the Premier is not a bad board to start with either. But at 260, the Motive might be better suited for him and you can find them for about $100 less than the Premier.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-20-2004, 8:15 PM Reply   
I suggest the Soul 145 from Double Up. I am the same size and it does me well. It will also force him to learn to edge properly and won't throw him for every mistake. It is a 3-stage so it does well getting my butt in the air.

I have a leftover 2003 in stock.

rider@boarditup.com
Old    upupnaway            02-21-2004, 5:28 AM Reply   
What is the fin configuration on the soul Karl? Do you happen to have a pic?
Old    upupnaway            02-21-2004, 5:31 AM Reply   
never mind about the pic, I found one here in wakeworld.
I cannot tell the fin configuration though, Is it a center fin? How much is the one you have in stock?
Thanks again you guys!
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-21-2004, 6:33 AM Reply   
Center fin.

$175 Blank
$215 with bindings (Moto, Air Cell, exact model depends upon size).
Shipping at cost to your zipcode - typically $15 to $25. You can use www.ups.com and put in my zip code of 49418 to calcuate your shipping. The box is 64"X18"X6" and weighs 20 lbs. (with bindings).

This is my last 145 in stock.

IMO it is one of the best boards for teaching new students - it is very forgiving. The reason is the uncluttered bottom and a rocker design that is dead on. I have sold a bunch of them and never had one complaint or request for a change-out.
Old    upupnaway            02-21-2004, 7:40 AM Reply   
I found a pic of moto's, where can I find one of the air cells?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-21-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
What size foot do you have? I will forward pictures of your options that I have in stock.

Thanks!
Old     (wakenyc)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-21-2004, 11:15 AM Reply   
I'm 6'1 255lbs..The first board I rode was an O'brien rail 137. I would stand up and ride but when I looked down my feet were 6 inches under water....I then went to a LF Rhythm 147. That was definately an easy and forgiving board to ride, BUT...within 1 month I switched to a LF Substance 141 and I love it. I guess my point is get a board like a substance or an O'Brien Cobe and tough it out for the first few months...You'll save alot of money.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-21-2004, 11:47 AM Reply   
I'm 6'5" 245lbs - I started on a Belmont 140 and now ride a Pure 141. I rode a friend's 145cm board a few times and really couldn't tell too much difference. I'd start with a continuous rocker board - when I was starting out I tried another friend's Premier and it was too loose.