Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (alex)      Join Date: May 2010       05-18-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
Electronics rookie, even worse with stereo, just got 2 single can polk 6.5s from a friend and am looking to add the tower speakers to existing system defcon IV, wanted to run it by all you stereo geniouses out there. First let me say, I know its not gonna be an amazing stereo, the components were either given to me or came with the boat, some day I'll be able to have sweet wetsounds or whatever, just not today, today I've got to work with what I've got.
That being said here's what I got...

Stock Clarion Amp running the tower speakers
Clarion 480
RMS 80x4
Peak 160x4
Bridged 230x2
Minimum Impedence Bridged 4

Tower Speakers (6x; 3 per each bridged channel)
Polk MOMO MMC650
Freq Resp 43 Hz-25KHz
Normal Impedance 4 ohms
Power Cont. 80 w
Power Peak 180 w
Effic 90 dB

(Not sure if any or all of the specs are important so I just put up whatever I found on the internet to save the guroos some time in not having to look it all up.)

My plan now is to bridge the amp; having the left 3 speakers on channels 1-2, and the 3 right speakers on channels 3-4. My plan was also to run them all in parallel, mostly beacuse that is how they are already wired in the nautique cans, so it just made sense to do it that way; and then I could just splice the wires where they come out of the tower and not effect the exixting wiring. If needed I could re-wire the speakers within the enclosures in series, but figured I'd ask all of you before I did. Also not sure if its important but each of the speakers is wired with the external cap thing, just FYI in case that's significant somehow.

I drew a quick sketch of my plan to help clarify my thoughts, if anything is unclear please let me know. I'm sure ohms and imped are important, I just have no idea what they mean and would really appreciate someone looking over my numbers. Also not sure if its important but the housings are 2 single cans, and 2 double cans- for a total of 6 speakers. Thanks soooo much in advance, I really appreciate everyone's help.
Attached Images

Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-18-2010, 3:16 PM Reply   
There is no way that will work, especially in bridged mode. The way you have it drawn up you would be looking at roughly a 1.3 ohm load at the amp. that thing should fry in no time, shut off ect. even running those in a combo of series/parallell it's gonna be hard to get to 4 ohms total with all those speakers. Not only that, they would only be seeing roughly 75watts a piece. You need an amp that can run at least 2 ohm stable to make it work. If you have to use that amp, maybe wire the thing up so it's not bridged and run it as a four channel with the two double cans running at 2 ohm and the singles at 4. That would work safely, but may not be very loud at 30 or so watts a channel. Too many speakers for that lil amp.
Old     (alex)      Join Date: May 2010       05-18-2010, 4:02 PM Reply   
bawshogg, thank you SOOOOO much for the insight, super glad I posted my question; I'm not an audiophile and I would have fried my amp for sure. That being said, ideally i'd love to run the underpowered system using everything I've got currently (just due to my current financial status)except that it would mean me having to run another set of wires through my tower- which I'm sure would make for a fun day out in 100 degree havasu. For that reason alone I'm curious what type of amp you'd recommend.

Wondering if you have any inexpensive amps in mind that you could recommend which would save me from having to rewire the tower, and would still allow me to pay for gas this summer. Any suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks again.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-18-2010, 4:04 PM Reply   
Its hard to find a 4 channel amp that can run at 2 Ohm in bridged mode in fact I can' think of one, maybe a real genuis/guru will chime in with one. You have good speakers just not enough amp. The only real solution is to wire it as Bawshogg said doubles off channel 1 and 3, singles off channels 2 and 4. This will show the singles 80 watts each and the doubles 115 watts or 57.5 watts per speaker.

Incidentlly, if you did the series/parallel wiring you'd be under 3 OHM's
Old     (my_malibu)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-18-2010, 4:42 PM Reply   
Cadance will run at 2 Ohm bridge
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-18-2010, 5:00 PM Reply   
Cadence are not exactly what I would call cheap, and budget minded for the most part. You could run a series parellel setup that would net you approx 2.6 ohms total resistance. Find a big two channel that can run 400-500 watts rms at 2 ohms. You won't see the full 400-500 due to the slightly higher resistance, but should get ya 100 or so watts to each speaker. i think that may be the cheapest and easiest route, being you would not have to run more wire and It would basically be able go into the wiring scenerio you are already using. You would series connect the doubles and then parallel over to the single can, so you would have 3 drivers per side L/R. I have a few amps I am looking to sell if interested. I have 3 RF punch series amps. A 600.1, a 400.4, and a 800.2 (which would work for ya alright) Sell ya all of them for $500, or just the 800.2 for $200. Other than that, cruise Craigslist, there are some decent deals on there every once in a while.
Old     (dirtracer27x)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-18-2010, 8:27 PM Reply   
look on ebay at some of the sounstream rubicon amps,great amp for the money.and cheap too.
Old     (alex)      Join Date: May 2010       05-18-2010, 9:14 PM Reply   
Thanks so much for all of your help. I was really trying to keep the boat's 3 stock clarion amps set up it came with, but now that I am realizing its gonna take re-wiring my tower, I am definitely leaning towards the amp purchase. I think I'll try the local CL first, and if that fails me, I'll send you a message bawshogg. Thanks again everyone you've all been super helpful.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-18-2010, 9:30 PM Reply   
No problem, that's what we are here for.
Old     (alex)      Join Date: May 2010       05-18-2010, 11:18 PM Reply   
Didn't find too much on the CL, thinking I might just pull the trigger on one of these, figure if I hurry I might have audio by Memorial day.

Any thoughts, quality, compatibility, price?

Soundstream 560W 2 channel for $159... http://cgi.ebay.com/SOUNDSTREAM-560W...item4398bc4cfd

Cadence 600W 2 channel for $116... http://cgi.ebay.com/CADENCE-600w-RMS...item51896e8737

Also found a used Clarion APX4361 4/3/2 Channel 640 W for $175 locally- more than I'd like to spend but all my amps would be the same manufacturer.

Thanks again, really appreciate your opinions.
Old     (alex)      Join Date: May 2010       05-19-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
Or the 800x2 of course.