Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old    brycejay            01-25-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
I've been riding the shane for the last 3 years. I really like the board, but for some reason I have an itch to change things up a bit. My local boardshop has a leftover 09 Co Severance that I can pick up at a good price. Going from a shane will it be a huge difference? I like a looser board, but I've never been on any kind of flex board so I don't really know what to expect. Will I be able to transition from the shane to the severance okay? Thanks

BTW I'm also considering the S4 but heard it's pretty grippy. S4 or severance? hmmm
Old     (n00b)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-25-2010, 12:10 PM Reply   
Will the boardshop allow you to demo the board?

If you like a loose feel try the Lyman, my lyman will be on it's third season this summer and I've no intention of changing it.
Old    brycejay            01-25-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
Yeah I've also considered the lyman. Just heard it lacks a bit in the pop dept. Also, will my 09 LF bindings fit on the Company? Will they fit on a 08 LF board? Or will they only fit on 09 LF boards?
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-25-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
i have not ridden the shane, so i cant compare the severance to it, but the severance is such a dope board, its very loose while flat, but when your on edge it really stays locked in. and the severance has more pop then any other board ive ridden,
i was riding the lyman before i got a severance, and the lyman is a sick board, dont get me wrong, but i have much more fun on my severance.

and assuming you have the 6 inch base plate on your 09 LF bidings then yes they will. even the 8 inch base plate fits, you just have a VERY limited stance option (i know the 8 inch plate works all the way out considering its where i ride at)

im not sure if you have ridden the watson (not 2010) but if you have im sure you know it has quite a bit of pop, and personally i think the severance has more pop.
ive read tons of posts on here about how flex boards dont have as much pop as a traditional board, but then again it all comes down to your riding style. so as philip said, if at all possible, DEMO

if you have any other questions about the severance, feel free to ask and ill try to answer
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-25-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
if you really like the shane board but want to change it up a bit, try to get your hands on smaller fins for the shane. trust me when i say that it makes a big difference. i ride the 140 w/ the smaller fins....i still love and ride that board to this day.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-25-2010, 12:55 PM Reply   
just curious joe, but have you ridden the lyman finless? how does the shane compare to it finless? ive always wondered considering the fins are very similar in shape and size.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-25-2010, 1:00 PM Reply   
no i haven't, but i prefer the more straight-up pop on the shane over the up and out pop i got from the lyman.

i honestly don't think the shane nor the lyman were designed to be ridden w/o their bolt-on fins. ('cept for rails maybe?)
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-25-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
i want to try the shane, but havnt had the chance to,
and i was just curious, i rode my lyman for a while with the fins, but the last 5 or 6 months ive been riding it i rode it finless, the first day was a little sketchy, but after that i preferred it.

sorry for the thread hi-jack
Old    brycejay            01-25-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
joe, do you mean smaller cupped fins? Do they make em smaller? Is the shane too loose if I take the cupped fins off?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-25-2010, 5:03 PM Reply   
Bryce, the 06-08 shane 132 came with a smaller set of cupped fins than the 136 and 140. Joe uses the set that came on the 132. And like Joe said the Shane is not meant to be ridden finless. The reason why those fins are removable is because you cant get that kind of cup out of a molded in fin, you wouldnt be able to take it out of the mold. The cupped fins are key to how the shane rides.
Old    justinh            01-25-2010, 5:32 PM Reply   
You really need to try the Severance. I don't consider myself a "flex rider". I gave it a ride so that I could have an opinion and I really liked it. It is the fastest 3-stage I have ever ridden and I didn't have to change a thing about my riding to shred it.

After riding the company, I should really write a review about it. There is a lot of mis-information about the board. It was very easy to ride. (none of that ollie at the wake or land tail heavy crap flex-riders preach).
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-25-2010, 6:22 PM Reply   
never heard the ollie at the wake thing, but i can honestly tell a difference between landing flat and landing on the tail. i happen to land on the tail 90% of the time anyways, even on traditional boards, so i dont have to change how i rode, but i can feel a difference
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-25-2010, 8:17 PM Reply   
i don't know about the ollie or tail heavy thing either... except for when landing, but not on take off.

i think i have heard the tail heavy thing for pop like once or twice.

Never ridden the shane, but wouldn't pass an opportunity if it came. I like experimenting with other boards, and feel i learn something from each. BUT i am certain i'd stay with flex boards in the end. just sooo much more fun FOR ME to ride than traditional boards IMO.

as for getting used to the board. it will take about as long as to get used to any new board. flex as a feature is as character determining as is rocker type, if not more so. jumping from a traditional foam core board to a flex board will be as different as going from pure continuous to an aggressive 3 stage in a sense.