Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (air_dooley)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-24-2006, 10:53 PM Reply   
Has anyone modified their bimini to fit tower speakers? It looks like you could cut the braces to lower it. Will I have problems?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-25-2006, 4:56 AM Reply   
I have. It didn't affect anything on mine, but look at the design carefully to make sure.
Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-25-2006, 5:45 AM Reply   
You can def. cut the lower legs below where the other support bows join as you don't change the geometry of the other bows...
Old     (seadawg)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-25-2006, 12:29 PM Reply   
Share some pics before and after, Tom. Sounds like a good project.
Old     (jmunday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-25-2006, 5:52 PM Reply   
im working on that one right now. im cutting the width down to fit between my tower. i also found replacement hardware at west marine.
Old    tweetdriver            07-25-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
You know, my modification turned out quite well and I wasn't going to take time to share until now. I didn't want to spend 5-6 hundred on a new bimini when I already liked the shelter from the original (usually quite bigger than tower biminis). Anyway, if you look closely in the pictures (before and after), all I did was create a new center bow from 7/8" conduit from Lowes and made an S bend to fit "through" the tower. I measured the tower width at the height where the bimini was going to be, marked the conduit after some number crunching (knowing your pipe bender will give you about 5" radius or as specified) and started bending. Later I realized I probably could have just angled it in to fit under/through the tower but I wanted max. width and height before bending in.
The front bow was easiest with just two bends. I just picked a measurement wider than the tower and close to the original bow but just angled the sides in to clamp to the tower. Picked up some 2" conuit clamps at Lowes, some new Stainless bimini ends at the local marine shop, a couple bolts and wing-nuts and it's done. The front bow straps still attach to the windshield but it can be further modified for no straps and use support rods that attach to the tower. In all, the job cost me around $30! With the most expense coming from the stainless bimini ends - the framing (conduit) cost about $6.
I'll get some close up shots soon and post them.
I did start a new string about mounting speakers on top as you can see there's no room for a set of Fusion speakers. I also debated lowering the tower, but with me at 6'5" I don't want any loss of headroom! But yes Tom, all you have to do is chop down the rear supports (depending on your type of bimini/tower). Shouldn't be too difficult.Upload
Upload
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-26-2006, 3:51 AM Reply   
Like John, I didn't modify it to fit speakers, but I did modify it to fit the tower. Took 16" out of the center and had the wife re-sew the fabric. Its just aluminum tubing, it cuts easy with a hack saw. If needed, all the hardware and tubing is available at boatersworld. Here is my before/after.
Upload
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-26-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
I custom made my own bimini from scratch, because I wanted it to cover more than just the drivers seat. 7.5 feet long and it covers everyone in the boat besides the bow. So those who want some sun can go up front. You can cut the bimini as short as you want, and if you want it longer, you can order longer legs for them. I also have a wetbox sitting between the bimini and the tower

Upload
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-26-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
I did something very similar with mine. I bought the biggest bimini that I thought I could squeeze thru my tower. It's 6' long, and covers almost the whole interior behind the windshield. I cut the legs about 8" shorter off the very bottom, below where the other bows attach. This made for more shade and put it below my tower speakers when it's stowed. I also used solid mounts in the back to eliminate straps.

side
dtl
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-26-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
I lowered, raised, then narrowed the bimini on my last boat. Not too bad if you have some basic skills. I used electrical conduit and bent up a temporary frame as a template before I started cutting my expensive aluminum bimini tubes. You can also splice the tubes under the clamps if needed (even my stock bimini was spliced).