Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-15-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
I pulled off my first backside one (followed by three others) last night. It felt great. It is my first handle pass trick. I also went for a couple of BS three's and almost got them. (dropped the handle once i landed...)

Does anybody else find BS spins easier then FS? I always get pulled really off axis doing FS three's and the BS was surprisingly easy once I constantly landed the BS 180.
Im stoked, I think that BS 180's can be some of the most stylish tricks out there. Just gotta start grabbing with it...
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-15-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
Awesome, I have a friend named Kevin that does backside spins alot easier then frontside.. looks pretty sick too.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-15-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
Grabbed BS 180's are one of the all-time greatest style tricks in wakeboarding. I am working on mine right now.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-15-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
BS 3's are my go-to trick when I'm feeling lazy. I learned it after FS 3's, but BS is just really easy to get the handle and the tension just unwinds you. I also find that you can spot the landing a lot easier on BS 3's. I still have trouble taking BS 180's grabbed and big consistently. It's hard for me to take them into the flats.

Sick trick, though. I love the way they feel when you stomp 'em clean. Congrats.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-15-2006, 10:42 AM Reply   
I'm still working on getting the handle pass on my BS 1's...any tips JB? congrats on landing it!
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-15-2006, 10:52 AM Reply   
The best single trick I've seen was Randy Harris taking a Raley cut into the wake heelside, going huge and 20 feet out into the flats with a grab and then turning it blind at the last second. Sick sick sick. Congrats on pulling it off!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-15-2006, 11:02 AM Reply   
Lyman and Murray do the same. How about Murrays Hoochie to blind.

I have onyl landed 2 BS 180s.....tough trick.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-15-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
ummm..... Ben Greenword!! Lyman for sure!
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-15-2006, 11:16 AM Reply   
forgot to mention that Randy had a cast on his arm at the time. I agree that Murray does everything to blind and my favorite trick of his is the tantrum to blind. He makes it look like butter.
I used to land the bs 180 pretty consistently but haven't even tried one in almost a year.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-15-2006, 11:29 AM Reply   
Isn't the raley to blind called a blind judge? Or am I thinking of something else...

For those of you working on BS180...a little advice I got from Briscoe: Don't work with the pass, try to land it cuffed. It keeps you from slipping out heelside.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-15-2006, 11:43 AM Reply   
what does cuffed mean?
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-15-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
cuffed means both hands on the handle behind your back (rather than just one which is blind)
Old     (wakebrad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-15-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
I'm working on BS 180s right now. How did you learn them?

I've been working on ollie bs 180s then moving to inside out bs 180s and I've worked up to a couple w2w. I seem to over-rotate the w2ws.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-15-2006, 12:11 PM Reply   
That's exactly how I learned them. I would cut out into the flats and ollie to blind, then worked on bs 180s from the center to the outside. Then I started one wake bs 180s and it wasn't good, so I started going w2w, where I started to over rotate and was doing 270s and getting concussions. How did I stop it? Grab it!
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-15-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
I started messing around with BS 1's on the start wake (ie the huge surf like swell and doing it from inside out) that got me comfy with the pass and it gives you more time and air than an ollie BS 1. good luck on the pass. and before that, i did some surface backside passes to help with the feel of getting the rope to the small of your back. Then i started to do them ollie in the flats and i could actually think about the pass and feel it with both hands (not just the blur of trying to do everything at once without thinking...), then did it from the inside of the wake at full speed. I landed it w2w on my 3rd attempt I was really stoked.

ps - Benny Greenwood is my favorite rider and in BUtter effect he takes his bs blind 1 way way waaaay into the flats. It is crazy!

Old     (wakebrad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-15-2006, 12:32 PM Reply   
"How did I stop it? Grab it!"

Interesting... So I guess that slows down your rotation so you don't over-rotate? This makes you pass the handle later correct? Did you grab it tail, stalefish, tindy, or tailfish?

I've got the ollie bs 180 down cold. I'm inconsistent on the inside out though. I'm not sure why, it pisses me off. I'm thinking about not worrying about that and just going for the w2w.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-15-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
Grabbing BS 180's makes me land hard on my TS edge riding away from the boat. It keeps your weight out and over your toes. Definitely helps to keep from over rotating. The first BS 180 I ever did was W2W. At first I would hit the water and have to much momentum and usually spin out of them into a BS 360. After a while I got more patient and would take them up and do the 180 really late. Doing it that way lets you set your axis better. Incidently, I've still never landed one cuffed or blind, although I've only tried it on a few occasions.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-15-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
bs 1's are one of the few tricks I really do have and a few variations of.

Grabbing indy through the spin is super fun, not too hard, and my favorite.

A frontside shifty to blind is my favorite trick ever, and I only land it about once out of every ten trys (slip out on my heel or drop the handle)

Here is some advice for those who go for the handle too early or overrotate, the key to a bs 180 is throwing it late. Try this, grab and indy (not through the spin) then go to blind....it forces you to wait and helped me a lot.

Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-15-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
that's right, mike, butter slide to bs 1, ready! I think it helps a lot to be able to land and keep riding wrapped (my word for blind). Check the Book, it has tips for getting yourself in that position and cruising around. That doesn't help much it mexi dominoes, though, trust me....
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-16-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
If you slip out on your heals you are over rotating, landing cuffed stops your rotation and makes the landing easier. It took me ages to develop the timing to know when to start rotating, grabbing it indy right off the wake without rotation and then releasing the grab and dropping it blind late has helped me with consistancy. The rotation is a lot less than you think and you can throw them super late if you have the nads attached.