Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            12-07-2008, 6:36 AM Reply   
I started a new build yesterday morning and have the shaped blank out of the bag this morning. After spending some time on the Inalnd Surfer Sweet Spot, I am appreciating the composite sandwich technique more. The methodology allows the builder a ton of flexibility in construction.

In the flame board that James and I built, the nose needed to be a bit more stiff and I am looking for more "twang" out of the tail. So I added a second layer of 2 oz under the deck and used more resin...not that you can tell, but by doing the "mojo" under the deck skin, you don't have to deal with unsightly lumps and bumps on the deck surface.

Upload
Old    surfdad            12-07-2008, 6:42 AM Reply   
The build is a little less labor intensive than shaping a close tolerance blank, probably the same as using a shaping machine. I used a fairly fast epoxy in this build and was able to complete the blank, save for trimming the deck skin overhang using 3 hours of labor. The bottom contours took the most time. The total elasped time was closer to 8 hours as I had to let 3 batches of epoxy cure (rails, bottom skin and top skin).

Prefabricating parts makes the job go faster and is what I did during the first cure cycle.

Upload
Old    surfdad            12-07-2008, 6:52 AM Reply   
I finally used up all of my old formula d-cell and had the opportunity to use the new formula in a thicker sheet. Much finer cell structure and seemed to limit resin uptake compared with the older formula. Hard to see but the holes in the surface are much smaller in the new formula (underneath) than the old (top).

Upload
Upload
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-07-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
Where do you get all that stuff?
Old    surfdad            12-07-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
The d-cell I have two sources. Fibergalss Supply in WA. There website:

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/

Noah's Marine is another good source, but they are flaky...I've ordered one type of foam and they would substitute something else and not tell me. When I would call them on it, they would apologize, but that was the end of it, I never got what I ordered. :-)

http://www.noahsmarine.com/html

I also have access to a marine repair facility in the SF Bay Area that has the stuff.

One last place that I have used is Fiberglass Hawaii, in Santa Cruz:

http://www.fiberglasshawaii.com/
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       12-07-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
Can't wait to see this one!