Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old    ernie_mckn            07-30-2003, 4:17 PM Reply   
i was wondering who else has done this. its when you have two boats and one drives in front of and to the side of another boat, letting their two wakes collide to make a consant double up type of wake mixed with what looks like a spine right where the rider rides, tried it in shasta but just got sent sraight up into the air, another one from our group was doing huge tantrums off it, looked like he was floating in the air almost, wondering why i was having so much trouble with it?
Old    deltahoosier            07-30-2003, 4:23 PM Reply   
Yes and it is called a spine. It is done a bit around here, but, mostly with riding get togethers during the off season when it is less busy. Someone would be crazy to throw a tantrum off the spines I have seen. They are usually 3 to 4 feet tall if I had to estimate.
Old    ernie_mckn            07-30-2003, 4:56 PM Reply   
yeah this guy is really crazy, but he can do a tantrum way easier then just a plain wake to wake jump, ours was around there as well three to four feet and it looks like it explodes or spits out at the top is this normal as well, or is it that one boats wake was bigger then the others? ill try to attach pictures when i get off work, but im not sure if it will work for me it never has before, i agree compleatly there is no way i would ever do this type of activity at my lake it gets way to busy just with one boat and rider much less two, we were fortunate enough to be out at shasta during the sunset hours, and there was only a two other boats the entire time just passing by, is this type of activity even leagal, i know you have to be twice the rope length away when passing another boat but one boat stays in front, any experince with rangers on this one?
Old    hlboatsnboards            07-30-2003, 9:20 PM Reply   
The size of the spine also has a lot to do with the position of the boats. If you have two good drivers, place the boats literally right beside each other, one slightly in front of the other. So close infact that you can almost get the spray of one boat onto the other. This will make a spine like no other. We have had them over peoples head before. Usually 5 foot plus is no problem. A bit intimidating is a better way to put it.

B
Old    neal_b            07-31-2003, 11:55 AM Reply   
At Sea World they do that and send a PWC towards them and between the two boats to get some monster air. Neal
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-31-2003, 12:55 PM Reply   
When driving, make sure the person without the rider does all the positioning. The driver pulling the rider should just point it straight and let the other boat come in close. When you are pulling someone you have enough to worry about.

Also, some of the water cops may not like to see you driving so close together. We got a pretty good look at from the sheriff at Shasta.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       08-01-2003, 4:52 AM Reply   
We tried it this spring and the "spine" has some hardcore boot to it! Your second driver needs to be ON his game, but it's pretty cool to try.

I second that the water patrol probably won't be too cool with folks doing this.

Note this was a springtime run and boats were both running stock ballast, so I'm sure weighted rigs would throw some SCARY action!
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       08-02-2003, 6:37 AM Reply   
whups.. had problem getting pic uploaded.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-04-2003, 3:19 PM Reply   
Make sure the pictures are less than 100 kb. On this website they have to be small. I've thought about doing these before but never attempted it.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome Industries
Old     (boardinbeast)      Join Date: May 2003       08-09-2003, 5:58 PM Reply   
I've done it without anyone in tow, and the "spine" does look incredible, I can't even imagine hitting it with a wakeboard =/
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-11-2003, 6:41 AM Reply   
Rode the spine this weekend. What a trip!!! Tried it on the skate first, but got sick of swiming after the board all the time. Then went to the board...very crazy fun. Hopefully the pics turn out.