Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-04-2007, 9:50 PM Reply   
I am narrowed my selection of a new tower speaker setup to either a pair of the Wetsounds 485s or the HSE Box. What are peoples thoughts.

This is going on a 2002 MC X-30 with the 2005 tower. I plan on powering the tower speakers with a Kicker KX850.4.

I need to keep the tower speakers as flush to the underside of the tower because I do not want to hit my head on them. Both of these seem to hang down the least when compared to the Pro80s or NVS versions. Also, I do not want to mount them on top of the tower.

Let me know your thoughts.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-04-2007, 11:36 PM Reply   
I have the Pro-485's, I have also heard the HSE boxes a few times. Both are great options. I think the mid-bass is a tad stronger in the Pro-485's. Kicker would be on the lower end for my amp choices. I have heard of a few issues with the Kicker amps clipping badly.
Old    alanp            09-05-2007, 12:24 AM Reply   
i have not heard the wetsounds but they sound like a good product. i do have an hse box and am very happy with it. i power my hse with a ppi 4125. if you can find one(on ebay or elsewhere) it will be more than adequate to pound the snot out of those speakers and they can be had pretty cheaply too.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-05-2007, 5:51 AM Reply   
My take on the two had the HSE brand sounding a little less bright, and a little fuller mids than the 485's.

As for the Kicker, I used one on my last boat to drive six audio speakers, and another now to power the Tyrants on my current boat. I've never had issues with clipping. The amp has plenty power to run the setups your looking at.
Old     (sigmodes)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-05-2007, 11:15 AM Reply   
I would go with the Wet Sounds 485. I used two sets for the first time on the Hyperlite team boat an was blown away by the volume and midbass that they created. I used a US Amps md-43 at 4ohms mono it match up perfect. The 485 dont come alive till they have 300-500w a piece.
Old     (357)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-05-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
Wetsounds all the way. Kicker only clips out if it is below a 2 ohm load. I use these all the time for the wetsounds. Make sure to power the amp to the speakers or they will stop playing at certain points to not blow. Specail something tim and wetsounds designed to not blow speakers.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-05-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
if your setting the gains correctly even @ 2ohms the amps should not and won't clip.