Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-22-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
Ok so I had shoulder surgery last friday. The weird part is i've heard it really hurts but it has been a week and I can say it has never hurt, not the first day, not now. And I dont take the pain medication or even tylenol. I thought surgery hurt?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-22-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
I wouldn't go and jinx yourself. Ha, ha, ha....

I had a root canal after I knocked out a tooth last year. I was totally dreading it because of how horrible everyone said it was. He gave me a bunch of motrin, but I never took any of it because it just didn't bother me. So, for what it's worth, I think things hurt more for some than others
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-22-2006, 4:06 PM Reply   
It wouldnt be a bad thing though would it, like maybe they didn't tighten the tendons enough or something?
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-22-2006, 4:09 PM Reply   
it usually does hurt, but i've had two surgeries that i needed no meds at all even though i figured they'd be extremely painful (jaw and splenectomy) and even with my broken foot and repair surgery (having a plate installed) last year i only went thru 2 pills the entire time - taking about 1/4 of a pill at a time. the day after the surgery felt like someone was holding a hot iron on my foot all day, but pain meds pretty much make me sick so i sucked it up and just got thru it. i think sometimes people expect the pain soooo much that when it actually occurs it's like nothing to them.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-22-2006, 4:18 PM Reply   
manny - tendons would more affect movement and nerves would affect sensation, i.e., lack of feeling or pain. if you still have feeling in the portion of your arm around and below the surgical area, you should be okay. make sure you can move your fingers (wiggle them), have someone else touch your fingers while you identify which fingers they're touching, and have someone check cap refill - meaning pinch the tip of your finger then let go - initially it's blanched (white) and it should turn pink again within 2 seconds to constitute good capillary refill. cap refill means that blood is getting all the way down to the smallest vessels at the point farthest away. also check the temperature of the hand on the surgical side vs the other, uninjured side to make sure there are no drastic temperature differences. but fyi, i still have spots on my knee from surgeries there that are fairly numb even though the surgeries came out fine. all that having been said, keep in mind i'm not a doctor and if you are concerned about it AT ALL, the best thing to do is to call your doctor's office and talk to someone about your concern. their job doesn't stop with the stitches and there's nothing wrong with checking back however many times you need to til you feel comfortable with things! best of luck with your recovery. kylie
Old     (mi_moomba)      Join Date: May 2005       09-22-2006, 6:02 PM Reply   
Give it some time. The hardest part of shoulder surgery is the rehab. The initial period surrounding the surgery may feel fine, especially if they gave you a nerve block or you have a pain pump in. In about a week or so it may begin to ache some, this is when it is healing. Be sure to move your shoulder SOME, but not much. Like a 3-4" (INCH) circle when hanging down. This will help prevent any adhesions from forming which are the one of the worst things that can happen in this type of surgery. GOOD LUCK WITH IT!