Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (xtremebordgurl)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-05-2010, 7:23 AM Reply   
Seriously? My family sold our Malibu two years ago when I moved south, and not that I'm in the market to buy right now I just went to couple different wake boat sites and holy something are they ugly looking. Even the malibu's look waaaay to trendy. What ever happend to a classic clean looking boat?!? Or am I just nuts and behind the times?
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-05-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
Apparently that is what the target market wants. The wraps people put on them are even worse.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-05-2010, 8:21 AM Reply   
I like mine old school,
Old     (Sly_Park_Mark)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-05-2010, 9:13 AM Reply   
I like the traditional shapes as well. The pickle-forked bows don't do it for me, and the traditional wrap-around seating will always be my favorite.
Old     (azwakeYO)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-05-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
Nautique is still making a real clean looking boat.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-05-2010, 2:50 PM Reply   
come on Mike, not all the wraps are bad.
Attached Images

Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-05-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
I agree with Ahren. Nautiques have always looked good and what they're selling today will still look good 20 years from now. I was a fan of Malibus as well but they're looking flashier, chincier, and they've altogether lost their nice lines.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       06-05-2010, 5:11 PM Reply   
Target market likes this stuff, but you can always get a Mastercraft in the Maristar series and have a VERY classy looking boat or change up the color combinations to look better.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-05-2010, 5:36 PM Reply   
Ian, boat looks great this year!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-05-2010, 5:37 PM Reply   
...it might look better with Lew Perkins face on the back though!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-05-2010, 5:45 PM Reply   
See to me, the nautiques outter appearance has changed very little. I never liked that, but their interiors have WAY to much going on, moving seats and crap like that just seems like more to break...
I looked at 1 2010 that looked nice, not at all like the old narrow ones (really dont like those) and still lost me with the interior.

Picklefork is where its at, its not just about looks, they are trying to displace more water while moving. Its progression and its gonna happen.

as far as the malibu goes, what arent you liking? I agree that the new tower looks like garbage, but for the most part the hulls havent changed in the past few years and the interior shouldnt be much different.

Check out the new tiges at all?
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-05-2010, 6:22 PM Reply   
I agree with the previous posts, alot of these boats (besides the Nautiques) are too busy with styling.

In regards to your pickle fork statement, isn't the running surface of the hull on those boats not all that different from the usual bow design? I thought the pickle fork portion was mostly above the water line, meaning it has little to no effect on water displacement. I could be wrong, quite frankly I don't care how much more space they offer every time I see one I think of the ugly tri hull designs from the 70's. (no offence to any owners, it's just not my style)
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-05-2010, 6:39 PM Reply   
It pushes more water down rather than out to the sides. It really does work, other wise they wouldnt be doing it. Next time you see one, look at it from the front.
Im hoping to have one somewhere down the road.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-05-2010, 6:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
It pushes more water down rather than out to the sides. It really does work, other wise they wouldnt be doing it. Next time you see one, look at it from the front.
Im hoping to have one somewhere down the road.
Besides not understanding why pushing water down creates a bigger wake (especially considering the fact the wake lip is largely controlled by the chine design and how it distributes water), perhaps you should see Mastercrafts own description of the purpose of the pickle fork design:

"The X-35 touts the infamous MasterCraft pickle fork design, originally created to supply more bow room and to give your water dwellers another entry point with its convenient bow ladder"

Also, if the bow design was just pushing water down, that would for the most part create bow rise. (equal and opposite reaction, can't fight physics)

Last edited by MattieK27; 06-05-2010 at 7:01 PM.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-05-2010, 7:38 PM Reply   
I was told by a couple different set of dealers at a boat show, that the pickle fork was designed to push more water down. it directs more under the bottom of the boat. Ill see if i can find something to back me up here! but im pretty sure im right.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-05-2010, 7:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
I was told by a couple different set of dealers at a boat show, that the pickle fork was designed to push more water down. it directs more under the bottom of the boat. Ill see if i can find something to back me up here! but im pretty sure im right.
You do understand that if it was just pushing water down, it would be lifting the bow at the same time right? Wouldn't be the first set of dealers I have talked to that were a bit off base with their claims. Do the pickle forks have an issue with bow rise, and are their wakes that much bigger than a more typical design?
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-05-2010, 8:04 PM Reply   
I think the dealer was likely just blowing smoke up your butt to sell the boat. The pickle fork doesn't ever touch the water, and has no bearing on making the wake any different. The pickle fork does not affect the wake. It only increases bow space.
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-06-2010, 12:24 AM Reply   
Im with Joey on this one and whoever believes that the wake is effected....wake boats are primarily built for performance and putting out the best wake and tailoring toward the boat owners who know what they're doing when it comes to puttin out a good wake. Of course they are gonna try and make a boat "aesthetically inclined" but the wake is the biggest concern id have to say when it comes to priority in production. The pickle-nose does effect the wake and all of you who say the bow doesnt sit in the water whatsoever, well the back of the boat also isnt the only thing that sits in the water either. Manufacturers also know that they pretty much have to produce a boat meant for a lot of weight (fatsacs) to be loaded for us riders cause thats typically what we do; weight the whole boat as much as we can. So putting weight in the bow, which a lot of people do including every single one of my friends, means that the bow is getting loaded and pushed into the water which ultimately makes the wake bigger. Since the general census is weight in the front makes the wake bigger, weight in the back makes the wakes shape better. I've driven a few people boats, one of which has an xstar that we slam, and i def notice a HUGE difference when driving the pickle-nose compared to the standard bows. The pickle-nose is much harder to turn in tight areas and if you turn too hard, it wants to "roll" on its side, its very awkwards to drive but also very nice because driving straight is a dream due to the pickle-nose and the wider boat, which im sure the pickle-nose compliments. Of course some of you are gonna disagree with my theory but not everytime a salesman is preaching about a boat, doesnt mean its just a pitch to sell you on the product. Cause if your talking to a salesman about a boat period, then its a good chance he knows more about that boat than you do and when your making a $50,000 to $80,000 purchase, blowing smoke up your a$$ probably isnt something he's trying to do. So yes, more water does get pushed under the boat with the pickle, especially if you slam the thing. Also, their are "stringers/beams" or whatever you wanna call them the run inside the hull of the boat which determines the soft and hard areas of the hull. This durastically affects the wake, so maybe there is also a "structural" entity between the hull and the pickle-bow that helps the wake that the boat is putting out. Just some thoughts. Overall i completely believe the pickle-nose is more than just a front access and more seating.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-06-2010, 1:14 AM Reply   
Codi, I've talked to plenty of boat dealers, the majority of whom couldn't really answer my questions that I already knew the answers to. I just wanted to hear it from them, and they couldn't deliver. They just continued to feed me lines of BS about things about the boat.

While I agree that the wider boat (the entirety of the x-star is very wide) affects the weight a lot, the pickle fork design stays out of the water for the majority of the time, even when fairly well sacked out. I've chaseboated an X-Star quite a few times and watching the footage shows me that the parts of the pickle fork that people are claiming would effect the wake tend to be out of the water. If you need evidence, just look at the picture.

When even Mastercraft itself states that the bow was intended for the purpose of more seating, I think it should be listened to.

This is Brian Benjamin doing a backroll off the double up at the 2007 SML Wake'N'Skate Wakefest.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-06-2010, 5:34 AM Reply   
There it is, a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks Nick!
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-06-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
It's for width in the bow, If they did not picklefork the nose then the boat would be at least 5 foot longer than it is for the same width.. Slide that whole section forward & you have a conventional hull design only longer...

Last edited by otown_dave; 06-06-2010 at 8:16 AM.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-06-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
Codi, thanks, I think you and me are the only ones on the same page. That picture proves it, look at the sides of the pickle-fork, that is directing more water under the boat. Its got a shallower V. Ill still be searching for an article somewhere to prove this, but its sole purpose cannot just be for bow space, thats just an added benefit.

Last edited by ilikebeaverandboats; 06-06-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-06-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
Help only in the first 5 seconds of the run, After that it's not even the water
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-06-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Codi, thanks, I think you and me are the only ones on the same page. That picture proves it, look at the sides of the pickle-fork, that is directing more water under the boat. Its got a shallower V. Ill still be searching for an article somewhere to prove this, but its sole purpose cannot just be for bow space, thats just an added benefit.
That might be, but it's the wrong page. This pickle fork does nothing for the wake. The funny part is you keep holding on to this "pushing more water under the boat" theory. Even if that was true, how does that make a bigger wake? Pushing water down would push the bow up, causing unwanted bow rise. If the pickle fork boats don't suffer from extreme bow rise, it clearly is not pushing any more water down than a regular design, regardless if pushing it down creates a better wake or not. (I still struggle with how this is making a bigger wake, if anything it would make for a greater disturbance in the central area of the wake, not the edge shape/height)

Now stringer design has a large effect on the wake? Oh jeez, I think we need some boat designers to speak up in this thread. The small difference in rigidity from an area directly braced by a stringer to one that isn't is not that much. It's not like an umbraced portion can be pushed in during typical driving. Let's say the umbraced sections can alter the wake, this would be a small difference compared to the overall shape of the hull. (chine, keel, transom, spray pocket, step, and rocker design)
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-06-2010, 3:00 PM Reply   
There has to be some advantage to the pickle fork design to the wake. I would love to here from designers, I just cant see them designing an entirely new hull to have it allow for 2 more people in the bow.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-06-2010, 3:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by otown_dave View Post
It's for width in the bow, If they did not picklefork the nose then the boat would be at least 5 foot longer than it is for the same width.. Slide that whole section forward & you have a conventional hull design only longer...
Exactly. You are basically getting a 26-27ish foot boat at 23.7 feet. Lets you add more weight, allows for a deeper hull, and the ability to add more weight and plane off in a reasonable distance. It definitely is not gimmicky and mastercraft to me has held pretty conservative on their standard design options. Sure some of these wraps are WILD and when they goto resell the boat in 5 years, it might be a lot more difficult, but I guess since they are wraps, they can just be removed but this makes the purchasing of a used boat more of a hassle where in reality, you just want to pick the thing off the lot ready to ride. When we got our Super Air in 2004, we got one of the boats that they already had on the floor at Southeast Correct Craft. Their were two super airs with some WILD color schemes that seemed cool then but didn't make any sense for the future. We ended up with a Navy on grey and it will look clean for years to come.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-06-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
Attached Images

Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-06-2010, 4:03 PM Reply   
I think David hit it on the head. They can make the hull they want and keep the total boat length down. I didn't care much for the picklefork until I spent some time up front in one. The bow is wider in with the filler cushion in you can stretch out sideways and be comfortable watching the boarder. The MB and the M/C X2 are short boats because the bow looses the extra few feet due to the picklefork. Yet the seating area in the stern is very spacious. Its a good tradeoff in my book. I'm biased now owning an X2 but the look of the picklefork sitting on the water has grown on me.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-06-2010, 5:06 PM Reply   
Like Dave said, purely for being able to carry the boats full beam further forward while keeping the boat at a set length.

In one of the MC 300 press releases online, they stated their reasoning behing using a pickle fork was to allow the beam to be more forward. Which is why is has the same interior space of a standard hulled 34'-35' yet its only 30'
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-06-2010, 6:37 PM Reply   
Ian, I was thinking more of the skull, graffetti, and neon versions when I made that statement. I like that wrap, little bit of design but still very clean.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-06-2010, 7:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremebordgurl View Post
Seriously? My family sold our Malibu two years ago when I moved south, and not that I'm in the market to buy right now I just went to couple different wake boat sites and holy something are they ugly looking. Even the malibu's look waaaay to trendy. What ever happend to a classic clean looking boat?!? Or am I just nuts and behind the times?
You are not nuts... you just aren't looking at the right boats. The MB TWB is the boat for you. It is exactly as you describe... a classic clean looking boat. The interiors are well laid out and use THICK vinly and carpet. All the important stuff is there: Zero Off, quick fill ballast, solid tower w/ swivel racks, dual batts w/ Perko switch, Sub, amps, iPod plug, loads of cup holders, big storage lockers, giant bimini, tasteful use of billet aluminum, etc, etc. MB has wisely skipped stuff like fancy TV screens in the dash, dvd players, onboard hard drives and video cameras.

Another thing you'll appreciate about MB... the boats are missing the $80K price tags of today's Malibus.
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       06-07-2010, 10:55 AM Reply   
I used to hate on the pickle forks at first but have spent a good bit of time in and behind an 09 x2 last summer and this season so far...

i gotta say that it is pretty awesome as far as adding more space and a more comfy ride up front, other than that i think i have to side with the majority of you guys saying it isn't really designed to pump out more wake. the wake is really nice and shaped beautifully, but i think that has to do more with how wide the boat is, which goes back to the whole theory of the pickle fork allowing a wider hull in a shorter boat.

and codi, how you said that the boat doesn't drive as well? I think it handles extremely well, but what you are talking about has to do with the width of the short boat, not the pickle fork. as everyone else here has mentioned the nose of the boat sits out of the water, thus not really effecting the ride or the handling.

just my 2 cents
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-07-2010, 6:17 PM Reply   
Matt - As a matter of fact the stringers inside the hull make a very big difference in the wake being put out. It was either moomba or supra (yes i know supra makes moomba) that a couple years ago they didnt change the actual shape of the hull, just the beam inside and it made the wake MUCH better. A boats hull does flex more than you realize and if 50 lbs to one side of the boat can clean up a wake then how come a little bit of flex wouldnt affect the flow of the water which in turn affects the wake???

Its not just the surface area thats flowing through the water either. Pretty much all of you are saying that the nose doesnt sit in the water when on plane, which was shown in the picture, but like I said, the pickle-nose could possibly be adding rigidity to the outer areas of the hull which means the the hull doesnt flex as much and the water will flow like its suppose to. Those of you who dont understand how more water being pushed under makes the wake bigger. Well the more water your pushing, the bigger the wake. Someone said some thin along the lines of, "if you're pushing water under then wouldnt that raise the bow or boat higher out of the water?".....yes, which is why you load the thing with weight so you are "pushing" the water and creating a bigger wake!
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-07-2010, 6:44 PM Reply   
& that all translates into hull design , not a pickle-fork bow........................................
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-07-2010, 7:04 PM Reply   
David, at this point, you can't argue with him. Just smile and nod and stay comforted in the fact that you know what you're talking about. That's about all you can do when someone is that passionate about believing what they believe.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-07-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
The pickle fork bow is part of the hull design....
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-07-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
Codi and Joey, I found some experts to back you guys up:

http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-07-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogartsomeday View Post
Matt - As a matter of fact the stringers inside the hull make a very big difference in the wake being put out. It was either moomba or supra (yes i know supra makes moomba) that a couple years ago they didnt change the actual shape of the hull, just the beam inside and it made the wake MUCH better. A boats hull does flex more than you realize and if 50 lbs to one side of the boat can clean up a wake then how come a little bit of flex wouldnt affect the flow of the water which in turn affects the wake???

Its not just the surface area thats flowing through the water either. Pretty much all of you are saying that the nose doesnt sit in the water when on plane, which was shown in the picture, but like I said, the pickle-nose could possibly be adding rigidity to the outer areas of the hull which means the the hull doesnt flex as much and the water will flow like its suppose to. Those of you who dont understand how more water being pushed under makes the wake bigger. Well the more water your pushing, the bigger the wake. Someone said some thin along the lines of, "if you're pushing water under then wouldnt that raise the bow or boat higher out of the water?".....yes, which is why you load the thing with weight so you are "pushing" the water and creating a bigger wake!
Wow. I don't even know where to begin, so I won't. I'm glad your not designing boats...

I'll finish with one last thought, and I'll leave all concepts of boat design out of it. If the pickle fork design did ANYTHING besides provide more room, don't you think Mastercraft and others would advertise the crap out of that? Either your holding onto invalid facts, or Mastercraft has the dumbest marketing team in the boating industry.

Last edited by MattieK27; 06-07-2010 at 8:20 PM.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-07-2010, 9:03 PM Reply   
So ill buy into what you guys are saying. I wouldnt consider myself completely hard headed haha. Just imagine what that wide of a boat would look like without a pickle fork. So I guess the pickle fork would be an aesthetic necessity or a short wide hulled boat?? Just not a performance necessity. Can we agree on that??
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-07-2010, 9:07 PM Reply   
Cody, the idea, I thought, was to displace the water not push it under the boat. If you create a big depression in the water then when it comes back together( behind the boat) you will get a big wake. Hence adding weight. The hull pushes through the water displacing it around the boat, not under. If it went under the boat wouldn't that just force the boat up? And by adding more weight to push it down wouldn't this force more water under the boat pushing it up even more? Flat bottom fan boats force water under them and they can travel across puddles. So how do you explain this with your pushing the water under the boat making a bigger wake theory?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-07-2010, 9:41 PM Reply   
I think you took the idea of pushing water down too literally. A small fraction of water pushed down rather than out, changing some of the direction of the displacement, could impact wake shape. As well as directing more of the displacement to the rear (not making it plan more, im talking about angle of weight distribution and how it sits in the water) So much goes into this, I dont think any of us can really give a %100 accurate explanation.

Hell maybe the reason is so you dont dunk the nose. I just cant see them introducing the picklefork just for more bow room.

Guys I really think we are all way outta our league in this department. there is an infinite number of possibilities and know way to give accurate descriptions of what we are trying to say.
Any of you guys marine engineers or taken any classes in hydro dynamics?

So who is gonna email tige/mastercraft/MB and get in touch with someone other than a salesman to see what the low down really is??
Cause I wanna know haha.

Last edited by ilikebeaverandboats; 06-07-2010 at 9:47 PM.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-07-2010, 10:20 PM Reply   
Why contact someone who knows? This is way more fun. A bunch of guys( me obviously included) not really knowing what were talking about spewing out a bunch of cr@p like its based in anything but a hunch and maybe a little common sense. Nope I'm not for contacting anyone who could actually put this to bed. The funniest thing about this is the thread started about crazy colors and schemes and has morphed into this engineering and design debate. Good call Joey.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-07-2010, 11:12 PM Reply   
I like pickles...
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-08-2010, 12:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Just imagine what that wide of a boat would look like without a pickle fork. So I guess the pickle fork would be an aesthetic necessity or a short wide hulled boat?? Just not a performance necessity. Can we agree on that??
No... can't agree with that statement. There are plenty of wide, short boats with traditional bows.... like mine! 21'0" long with 100" beam and no pickle front bow. Nothing weird looking about it.

Try this one on for size... the X-2 is a 20' long with 96" beam and pickle fork bow. By your logic MC had no choice but to employ the picklefork bow or those dimensions would not be aesthetic (your words). I wonder how Malibu was able to defy this new law of aesthetics... their 20' boat is 2" wider than the X-2 yet they can use a traditional bow. But I see what you mean. The VTX sure looks weird (tongue firmly planted in cheak).

Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       06-08-2010, 6:13 AM Reply   
Tissues
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-08-2010, 7:54 AM Reply   
Our boat, a 1999 Tige 21V Riders, is 21' with a 100" beam. Nothing funny looking about it eiter. Wish I had a picture of it on me, but I have to agree with DBC - you don't need the pickelfork to make a wide boat - they were doing it 11 years ago without a problem!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-08-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
Taste wise, I know it just my opinion, I dont like the way the real wide MB's look. It can be done, but doesnt appeal to all people. I really dont wanna argue when non of us really know what the real deal is.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-08-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Guys I really think we are all way outta our league in this department. there is an infinite number of possibilities and know way to give accurate descriptions of what we are trying to say.
Any of you guys marine engineers or taken any classes in hydro dynamics?

So who is gonna email tige/mastercraft/MB and get in touch with someone other than a salesman to see what the low down really is??
Cause I wanna know haha.
Mechanical engineer, work experience with fluid dynamics; mentored a company that does development work for one of Brunswicks biggest boat brands...

I still think its funny that some are trying to reason the pickle fork front does anything more than offer more space. Once again, completely putting aside design and engineering, dont you think if the pickle fork front offered any sort of advantage besides room (bigger wake, more stabe ride, or the newest thought about keeping the nose from "dunking"), at least one of these companies would advertise that fact? The boating industry, especially the wakeboarding market, is full of great designs. Every company out there spends lots of money on marketing trying to push their sales and claim their boats are best. If there was an advantage, we would have heard about it from Mastercraft, MB, Tige, etc because they would use it in advertising campaigns. Unless like I said above, the marketing groups at these boat companies are morons. I do not think thats the case...

Last edited by MattieK27; 06-08-2010 at 8:11 AM.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-08-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
Damn haha, we should all start listening to you
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-08-2010, 8:46 AM Reply   
Pickle forks are ugly? Mastercraft fooled me.....
Attached Images

Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-08-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
My clunky old Century Coronado has a 96" beam,
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-08-2010, 10:02 AM Reply   
I think pickle forks are ugly too.... *another tongue in cheek comment*

I got the pickle fork because the Flux Capacitor option was not available for 2009. So I had to settle for a bigger bow.

Mario-
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-08-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
I don't follow the "ugly" logic.

While I don't dig every feature of every boat, to me they are all pretty sweet...with Sanger topping my list of excellence.
Attached Images

Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-08-2010, 10:59 AM Reply   
Its prersonal preference regarding the pickle fork, to me a traditional bow just looks clean. I definately see how some people might like the style, and its hard to argue with the added space.

It is funny, however, that someone questions why some think the pickle fork is ugly, and then shows the side profile of a MC Pickle Fork. LOL, it looks like a regular boat from that angle Adam...
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-08-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
I like both, but I'm partial to the traditional bow right now...
Attached Images

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-08-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
^^^ that looks like a very wide boat w/ a traditional bow. sure don't look ugly to me.
Old     (nautiqueone)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-08-2010, 9:14 PM Reply   
sometimes you have to clean the boat up yourself.
Attached Images

Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-08-2010, 9:21 PM Reply   
oh man bill that is probably the best looking boat I've ever seen, including the brand new ones. Absolutely gorgeous unit you have there, you're blessed.
Old     (hdchapman)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-08-2010, 9:53 PM Reply   
I agree; nicest Nautique I have seen. Please forgive me Nautique fans but what year is it? And what has been to it after market.
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-08-2010, 10:37 PM Reply   
Looks like an 06 to me with new SAN graphics......

Last edited by stxr_racer; 06-08-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-09-2010, 7:55 AM Reply   
Best SAN EVER!!
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       06-09-2010, 9:27 AM Reply   
that ghost is sick
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-09-2010, 9:55 AM Reply   
Agreed. Bill beautiful boat. Like a 65 Mustang, that thing will never be out of style.
Old     (chasenm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-09-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
So the person who started this whole thread about how newer boats are "ugly" has never come back in added anything since...
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-09-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
chattwakes boat is by far one of my favorite boats ive seen on the web of newer boats... has some new edgy styling but still looks clean
Old     (mimafour)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-09-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
Classic style.
Attached Images

Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-09-2010, 3:33 PM Reply   
Im not so sure the tribal graphics qualifies as "classic style"

Another angle of my pickle fork since the previous angle was unacceptable:
Attached Images

Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-09-2010, 5:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakecumberland View Post
Im not so sure the tribal graphics qualifies as "classic style"

Another angle of my pickle fork since the previous angle was unacceptable:
Relax, I was just joking around. Nice boat. (and come on, showing the side profile in a pickle fork discussion is pretty amusing)

And yes, tribal graphics will definately never fall into the classic style catagory.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-09-2010, 5:14 PM Reply   
That all white looks classic to me, even though its a pickle fork.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-09-2010, 6:18 PM Reply   
I wasn't taking it personal, no worries! Most of the pictures above show the boats at either a side profile or an angled shot. How often do you take a picture or look at a boat straight on at the bow?

End attempt to convince all that pickle fork is awesome!

Last edited by wakecumberland; 06-09-2010 at 6:21 PM. Reason: mistype
Old     (adam4x4)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-09-2010, 9:15 PM Reply   
heres a front on for you
Attached Images

Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       06-09-2010, 9:34 PM Reply   
Bill Rhodes' Nautique is my favorite in this thread so far. Chattwake's looks cool but I'll never get used to that funnytower.
I'm 100% with the topicstarter. 2 of my all time favorites are the 82'-'86 Nautiques 2001 (cleanest lines ever) and the original Super Airs (up to 2003, with the FCT2). All white, if possible.
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-09-2010, 9:55 PM Reply   
How bout All Mocha..lol!
Attached Images

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-09-2010, 10:37 PM Reply   
Of the nautiques I like that mocha the best. They just dont do it for me...regardless of the year, that style just looks old to me... Maybe its the old school factor you guys like? Ive only been in one, and wasnt a fan of the interior, mesh over speakers? and you sit real high in the boat. Maybe it was just that year (donno what it was) but im just not a fan.
Old     (1niceharley)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-10-2010, 6:59 PM Reply   
I like the dipped style bow (for lack of a better discription). Supra's and Centurions have them.
Here is our's.

Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-11-2010, 12:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
So ill buy into what you guys are saying. I wouldnt consider myself completely hard headed haha.
Just imagine what that wide of a boat would look like without a pickle fork. So I guess the pickle fork would be an aesthetic necessity or a
short wide hulled boat?? Just not a performance necessity. Can we agree on that??
20' long 8' beam. Looks fine to me.

Last edited by ajholt7; 06-11-2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-11-2010, 9:17 AM Reply   
I bought the traditional style centurion falcon 21'8" long 102" beam but love the look of the F21 Mario and Adam those are beautiful boats here are a couple pics of mine
Attached Images

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-11-2010, 10:07 AM Reply   
ajholt7, your boat isnt that wide, Im talking about, for example, some of the older MB's that have a very steep angle bringing the bow together. It looks goofy IMO.

Go look at my profile, I have an 02 tige 20V, the hulls arent much different between 02 and 08.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-11-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
This thread is kinda funny.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-11-2010, 12:06 PM Reply   
Cal is right, it is pretty funny. At least we get to look at alot of good looking boats. Not bad for a thread about "ugly" boats!