Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-13-2012, 12:27 PM Reply   
I am thinking about buying my wife some nice knives for our anniversary. She likes to cook and I think she would appreciate them. I have gone online to Williams Sonoma, Victorinox, and a couple of other discount sites and am a little overwhelmed. I was thinking a pairing knife, 8inch chef's knife, and sankotu. Does anyone have any experience with a particular brand I should be looking at? I was hoping to spend less than $250 for all of it, but for something much better, I'd consider going over a little. Any help would be great.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-13-2012, 12:49 PM Reply   
I have a set of cutco knives and an old set of ginsu knives. i will say both of them have lasted forever! but not only that, suprisingly, the ginsu are still some of the sharpest i have had, even sharper than my cutco, and i cook everyday and when i use them the majority of the time its on deermeat or briskets or something of that nature where you need a sharp knife. couldn't have a bad thing to say about either one. I think the ginsu were cheaper IIRC but i like the build of them better. the handles are metal and not the plastic that is on cutco.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-13-2012, 3:13 PM Reply   
I like the Kyocera Revolution Series for regular cooking. If I am butchering rabbits or other small game I use my old butcher knives which are just high carbon steel.
Old     (bdew)      Join Date: May 2009       04-13-2012, 3:30 PM Reply   
I know you said you only want to spend around 250$, but these are at a pretty good price for the set

http://www.wayfair.com/Shun-Premier-...0-SUH1189.html

I have the shun classics and really like them. These knives make cutting much more enjoyable and the first time she use them she will be blown away(assuming she is coming from run of the mill knives). There are some much nicer (professional) knives out there but for the at home chef these are a pretty good option.

Also if you get a set of good knives you will also want to get a nice cutting board, try to stay away from all plastic cutting boards, also with an 8" she will want a cutting board that is a little larger.

If you want to go German these would be a good option

http://www.wayfair.com/Wusthof-Class...1-WFH1116.html

or cheaper

http://www.wayfair.com/Wusthof-Class...8-WFH1118.html

* ive only ordered a few things off this website, been happy with all purchases so far
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-13-2012, 3:43 PM Reply   
A good set of knives is great to have. Something else to consider would be a sharpener. Any knife will get dull over time. I bought a small grinding unit that was something like $ 50.00. Every couple months I give all my knives a good run through to bring them back to how they were when first purchased.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-13-2012, 4:04 PM Reply   
bdew,
I was actually considering the Classics that you posted last. They have them at William Sonoma near my house for the same price. I would consider the Shun, but I have this thing lately about buying Japanese because of the radiation from the tsunami last year. I am sure its all in my head, and that I already buy a ton of Japanese stuff without realizing it, but I'm going to try to avoid it when I can. Do you have any experience with the Wusthof? She is coming from run of the mill knives, so I am sure anything is going to be a huge step up. We do already have a huge wood cutting board we use all the time.

bcrider...good idea...thanks

Thanks for the suggestions so far....keep them coming.
Old     (bdew)      Join Date: May 2009       04-15-2012, 8:25 PM Reply   
dbdb,

Im pretty sure the Shuns are made here in the US, i thought i had heard this before and i guess the website below somewhat confirms it.

http://www.kershawknives.com/

i do have some experience with the Wusthof's, my gilrfriend' s old roommate had them, i dont remember what model but i really enjoyed using them. No real complaints other than they felt weird in my hand, only because i was so used to my shuns. i personally like the look of the shuns over the wusthofs she had, but again just personal preference. once you get into the class of knives you are already looking at i dont think you can make a terrible purchase. good luck on your search!
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-16-2012, 2:48 AM Reply   
This is so funny that this thread is here I was just about to post one about this.

We went registry shopping for our wedding today, I'm stuck Zwilling J.A. Henckels. I added a 15 pc full set and an 8 pc steak knife set. These knives are of unmatched quality. I looked at some Wusthof's as well and they didn't do it for me. You can get them at Macy's, they have some really really high end stuff online as well. To each their own but if we don't get the knives on the registry then you better believe I will be using some cash from the money dance and ordering my knives!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-16-2012, 8:09 AM Reply   
I ordered the wustoff knives for my parents and in laws last year for christmas...they all love them. but I have no perosnal use with them. I orderd mine online. if you order from williams sonnoma, you can usually buy 10% off coupons online ( ebay) and order second hand gifts cards ( another 14% off) cardpool.com...save yourself almost 25%.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-16-2012, 8:22 AM Reply   
I ended up going to Williams Sonoma and buy a few of the Wusthof Classic Ikons. Our anniversary is this week and I wanted to make sure I got them in time.

Funny story. I took my two year old with me to buy them. He is pretty smart, but he is a two year old. I dragged him all throught the mall going to Williams Sonoma last. I distracted him with a sucker so he wouldn't pay attention to what I was doing. I held a few knives and decided on the Ikons and then quickly paid. I quized him all the way home "Do you know what we bought today?" and he kep saying "I don't know." We must have done it 15 times on the way home. He walked through the door, immediately went to my wife and said "We bought cutting for you mommy." She looked at me and said with a smile "you bought me knives?"