Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (kolaios)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-22-2007, 9:39 PM Reply   
Hello,
I might be moving to miami next year... I have see a lot of people wakeboarding on salt water and I hate salt water for wakeboarding... I will like to know if someone here can give me advise on the soft water wake spots in and arround miami... do not mind driving an hour or so... but I prefer soft water....

Thanks guys for any info!!!!

sss
Old     (nowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-23-2007, 3:30 AM Reply   
Have a good lock and hiding place for your boat, much of Miami is like a 3rd world country. There's lots of lakes around but I prefer salt because the water seems much cleaner. Sorry I don't have a specific lake name for you..
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       10-23-2007, 12:29 PM Reply   
Matt, that is truly one of the most ignorant statments I have ever heard. "Much" of Miami is also made up of waterfront mansions. Every city has bad and good areas.

Much of the riding done in and immediately around Miami is salt water, however within an hour there are too many fresh water riding spots to list here.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-23-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
Mills Pond Park off of Oakland Bvd in Ft. Lauderdale is the best riding spot in South Florida. It would be about a 45 minute drive
Old     (nowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-23-2007, 6:20 PM Reply   
Brian, I'm assuming you must not live near miami? I'm a 1.5 hour drive from miami and the criminals from miami affect my lifestyle directly. I know there are some nice areas, but the criminals in the bad areas right next door do travel. Just google for boat thefts in miami, or talk to any of the locals and you'll get an idea for what I'm referring to.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-23-2007, 6:21 PM Reply   
I've lived in South Florida for 5 years now and have not been robbed. I've had boards stolen in Tampa however
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-23-2007, 6:46 PM Reply   
Mills Pond is owned by Ft. Lauderdale Parks, and is leased by the Gold coast Ski Club, Private. Your best bet is to contact Marcos Moran at Gatorbait Wake Camp, he can hook you up.
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       10-24-2007, 5:23 AM Reply   
Mills Pond is a good area, he might be better off going to Markham Park though...he would need to check the distances.

I live closer to Miami then you do Matt, but whatever, let's not hijack the thread (although it was my fault in the first place)
Old     (wakedude83)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-24-2007, 5:57 AM Reply   
Mills Pond is sweet if you can get on it.
Old     (ollieshuvitz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-25-2007, 4:41 PM Reply   
i had my amp/sub stolen out of my boat in miami. (we keep it on the water though).

there is a lake in doral, FL that was built during WWII-ish for waterskiing. to get on it you have to become a member of the ski club that operates on it.

there are also a few fresh-water lakes that are scattered throughout miami.

palm springs north was built for water skiing, but you either have to live on it or know someone that does in order to be able to ride on those lakes.

there are a few lakes off 826-ish in the north miami area that motor boats are allowed on. again there is no public launch that i know of.

also, there are a few canals south of miami that some people ride on.

hope this helps!
Old     (jgrunow)      Join Date: May 2004       10-25-2007, 5:41 PM Reply   
I'm a member of the ski club (yes I ski and wakeboard, don't bash me). There not overly friendly to wakeboarders but there are a few in the club and since I left I heard more have joined. There is I think 7 canals with industrial buildings on each side for protection. Some of the best water you will ever get. Its a little pricy to join the 1st year ($1700), but after that its only $500. It was worth the investment for me.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-26-2007, 5:36 AM Reply   
Learn something new about you everyday Jeff.
Old     (jgrunow)      Join Date: May 2004       10-29-2007, 7:05 PM Reply   
Uuummmm Ted, I think I said "yes I ski and wakeboard, don't bash me"....I guess you guys are still learning how to read up there in Ocala.
Old     (danielle_crawford)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-30-2007, 9:30 PM Reply   
There's the LTS wakeboard school on Crystal Lake in Pompano Beach which also offers paid pulls (about 45 min to an hour from Miami)
http://www.wakeboard-school.com/

and the Ski Rixen Cable Wake Park in Deerfield Beach. It's located in Quiet Waters Park. http://www.skirixenusa.com/