Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-10-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
I have a 247 with the 383 Hammerhead motor. It seems to burn about a quart every 8 hours. Dealer says that is within normal range.

Does anyone else experience this?
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-10-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
I have just got a boring little 325 indmar assault with 90 some hours on it. It does not burn a drop. Sounds to me like your dealer is just not wanting to risk a warranty claim?
Old     (swoop)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-10-2007, 11:58 AM Reply   
They really do burn oil. Its a bullet proof motor but you have to pay attention to it.

1qt every 8 hrs does sound like a lot. I was thinking mine went through 1qt every 25 hrs.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-10-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
Is that a big block? My dad has an 8.1L chevy motor and it burns oil down to about 1.5 qts low and then nothing else. It was explained as the hot crank splashing in the oil and vaporizing it. Have you checked your plugs Hugh? Do they look extra black or oily in any way? This will help to try and find out where the oil is going...
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-10-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
HH burning oil seems common. t-bag it is a 350 with a 3.75 stroke crank vs 3.48
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-10-2007, 12:30 PM Reply   
Should be a great motor! How many hrs?
Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-10-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
it has 80 hours on it now....

When I had about 20 hours on it, the "low Oil Threshold" messabe was flashing when I would come down to idel from speed. I assumed the sending unit was bad, but dealer told me otherwise.... it was 2 quarts (or so) low. They asked "don't you check your oil?". My reply was "on a brand new boat ?!?!?"

I do now.

Scary stuff.

So now when I see the oil pressure go below 40psi under power / or if at idle it dips below 11 or 12, I know it's a little low on oil.

I would like to hear from someone that knows about these motors before I go crying to my dealer.
Old     (swoop)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-10-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
Hugh, my 247 has the HH. Mine does the same thing when I drop to idle. Especially when I get towards the end of the 50 hr segment before the next oil change. Malibu's love to beep! Mine has 250 hrs now. You just have to learn your boats own little idiosyncrasies.
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-10-2007, 1:10 PM Reply   
What oil are you guys running? Indmar told my dealer to use Valvoline VR1 Racing SAE 50. Maybe 40 in a cooler climate...

My HH used about a quart during break-in. After I refilled it didn't use any the next 10 hours. I changed it at 20 with VR1. We'll see how it does with this oil.

(Message edited by larrys on September 10, 2007)
Old     (zoah)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-10-2007, 1:23 PM Reply   
Hugh,
I'd be pissed also if I were you. If my NEW boat was burning oil I'd be taking hostages.

There is no excuse that any motor should be burning oil at the rates stated in this thread. When oil is burning like this there is an issue to be addressed.

Yes, stroker motors depending on how they're built , but HOW they are built is a giant factor on if a stroker motor is going to use oil.

These boats and motors are suppose to be top quality. That is why people are paying top dollar for them.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-10-2007, 2:02 PM Reply   
my dealer told me that most of them go through oil

mine doesn't

but I also notice that they overfill it

the explanation was......that when you surf....some boats don't even register oil on the stick....unless over filled
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-10-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
Not the same engine, but one with similar compression and cam specs. I have a Marine Power Vortec Sport Pac with a roller cam and it burns about a quart every 12-20 hours depending on how wide open I run. I use 40W oil. 50 would probably aid in the reduction of burning somewhat. I also noticed that my motor runs fairly hot (may even diesel after running wide open for periods), so I upped the jets on the carb and this next season I will be switching to a colder plug. Its the world of a high compression Chevy Small Block....it's gonna burn oil.

If you are really worried about it, you can do a compression and leak down test or have them done. That will let you know if you have any blow by or valve guide seal problems that need fixing. Last compression test I did I was over 162 on all cylinders with the highest at 174. Leakdown was within tolerable amounts. There was minimal carbon buildup on one of the valves and a tap of a hammer freed it back up and let it seal off. Also pulling your plugs will let you in on a world of whats going on in the combustion chamber. Best way to get a hot cold reading is to look for discoloration (really burnt ceramic) or warping; you can also see oil or carbon buildup on the tip. After warm up run the boat wide open across the lake and kill it. Pull a plug fairly quickly and see if it is white dry or wet.....will let you in on a lean/rich fuel issue.
Old     (dtr)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-10-2007, 2:51 PM Reply   
That's seems like a lot to me. I have the HH in my VLX and I have never had to add oil in between oil changes. Not sure if my boat being smaller is the difference or not.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-10-2007, 3:41 PM Reply   
Hugh
I just checked the oil again
at 70 hours
20 hours since the last service....
haven't used a drop

I wonder if Donny is on to something...the VLX being smaller
also
we run the acme 1235 and never run it wide open

have never been over 5000 rpm, even with the stock prop
and we were very meticulous following the break in recommendations
Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-10-2007, 6:59 PM Reply   
We run it WOT maybe once a weekend, for about 10 seconds... but that's it. I put in 15-40 like the oil cap says to. I run the boat in extreme heat(lake Mead) so maybe a thicker oil would help.

Thanks alot for your input!
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-11-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
I kind of like what Larry S has done with his boats and if mine burned oil that is what I would do.
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-13-2007, 8:29 AM Reply   
Like everyone else has said your motor should not be burning that much oil and if it continues to do so you should put more pressure on your dealer to figure out what's going on. I know the 8.1's are renowned for it but I'd not heard of that problem with any of the others at least not that much on a regular basis. The heavier oil will help especially if you're in a really warm climate but at that rate you'll be needing to add oil between runs by the end of next summer. Glad I didn't get a BU...
Old     (swoop)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-13-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
Nice post, Mike B. Not sure if you know this, but Indmar motors are standard in many brands. Do you pick your boats by engine manufacturer? Or maybe by information found in online posts? It could be just me but I make my own informed decision.
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-13-2007, 8:45 AM Reply   
Yes I'm aware they are very widely used in the marine industry and should have realized that by saying that on this board even in jest would divert this topic so let me reword and say that it sounds like his dealer is giving him the run around and I'm glad I didn't buy from that dealer regardless of manufacturer.
Old     (swoop)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-13-2007, 9:14 AM Reply   
So, mine engine burns oil. (they all do, but I digress)

And I have the #1 dealer in the world.

Would you steer clear of them too?
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-13-2007, 10:04 AM Reply   
Only if they said a quart every 8 hours was normal and left it at that (granted I don't know the whole situation but that's my impression from the post) I'm sorry but that doesn't sound even close to reasonable to me but hey if you're willing to accept that kind of burn rate as normal great continue to dump oil in there to keep it at operating levels, to me it sounds like a problem. If it goes away after breakin like it sounds it has for others great but at that point others with the same motor or really anyone with a new motor should take that under advisement and check it very frequently. My only other point is that if the dealer knew it to be normal they should have said something up front so the owner would have known he or she needed to keep an eye on it.

You say your's burn oil as well, how much, how many hours on the motor, and what weight oil do you run. I'd expect a motor with higher hours or if you run it WOT on a regular basis to burn a little but wouldn't expect a newer motor under light to moderate load to burn nearly that much.
Old     (wakeskate1980)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-13-2007, 10:50 AM Reply   
PROPER BREAK_IN WOULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS! YOUR ENGINE IS RUINED! SORRY,SELL IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Only engine that should burn some oil is a 8.1 litre
Old     (swoop)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-13-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
Thanks for the pep talk, Jeremy
Old     (zoah)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-13-2007, 11:18 AM Reply   
My guess on why this 383HH is burning so much oil is the fact that is using a longer stroke. They probably have the piston pin intersecting with the oil ring groves.

Or it could be something as simple as someone skipped ring gap day. Or has all the rings lined up down the piston. Not sure if boats use a PCV system, but that can also help burn oil if it's not functioning properly.

If you want to start building a case against the manufacturer that will stand up you should start documenting now. Keep track of the oil consumption. Make sure it's not leaking out of the motor anywhere. Get a certified reputable mechanic to do a leak down and compression test on all cylinders. Put in a new set of plugs and document any color changes.

Really that should be stuff your dealer should be doing for you, but let's not get into that battle.
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-13-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
Your dealers should have received this Indmar Service Advisory concerning the 383 (HammerHead) Oil Recommendation...

application/pdfUpload
SV2006-1 383 Oil Recommendation.pdf (17.4 k)
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-13-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
Dembinski you are off your rocker man. I have been around performance engines nearly my whole life and they burn oil, no matter what the displacement.
Old     (swoop)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-13-2007, 12:09 PM Reply   
Larry, thank you for the pertinent information.

Although, its a bit confusing. The last paragraph tells the dealer to remove the 15w40 sticker from the oil cap to prevent a mixture of the oils.

But the paragraph that recommends the SAE40 only permits this during a break in period of the first 10-20 hours.

Do you think it means to run SAE 40 for the life of the motor?
Old     (swoop)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-13-2007, 12:12 PM Reply   
Steve, dont mind him. Most of these jokers have nothing substantive to add. Theyre just having fun. Besides, who would listen to a Nauti owner??
Old     (zoah)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-13-2007, 12:18 PM Reply   
So you guys are saying that a quart every 8hrs is acceptable? What does that come out to be? A quart every tank of gas?

And let's question how pertinent that service advisory is to this issue. The issue addressed in the Service advisory is for oil pressure, not oil level.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-13-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
247 lol

Also, the way I read is that if you normally operate in over 90 degree temps, you should run a straight weight 50. Under that but still hot go with a 40. The time frame being mentioned is just to let dealers know when to change. The first scheduled service is probably the 20 hour, so they mention it.

Zoah, oil pressure, oil level, operating temp, and oil vaporization are all related. It is directly related to the issue he is having with burning oil. If he is running a multi-vis 15w40, it may be burning due to getting to thin and lowering the pressure at idle. You are correct that the bulletin doesn't mention levels as a cause for the pressure drop. If I were him, I would try the change, and see if it improved, especially in a hotter climate.

(Message edited by olskooltige on September 13, 2007)
Old     (swoop)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-13-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
After reading it a second time, it sounds like Indmar is advising the dealer to change the oil from 15w40 to SAE40 AT the break in service. By removing the sticker from the oil cap, that forever changes the "recommended" oil.

Judging by the 107 degree temps displayed on my gauges, I should switch to the SAE50 and the beeping thingy will go away.
Old     (swoop)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-13-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
Zoah, at the rate you speak of, 1 quart every 8 hours, you are burning exactly an ounce of oil every 15 minutes.

No, this is not normal. You should open your engine compartment while running and locate the fire. If there is no fire, check your filter and make sure its not spewing out the side of the gasket.

If you still cant find it, start taking hostages. Good luck.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-13-2007, 12:29 PM Reply   
Maybe.....it could be something else, but hope that the oil is burning off due to being too light.
Old     (zoah)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-13-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
there is always the possibility that it didn't ship with the oil full. Ya know, the ever favorite "it takes 5 quarts" and they forget to add in for the oil filter. However, if he is breaking in a stroker motor it will burn oil from the get go, but should ease up on the consumption as time goes along.

I'd change it to the suggested oil in the service advisory and see if the consumption problem goes away. It will also eliminate that warning light from coming on. Which sounds like the original concern anyways.
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-13-2007, 1:36 PM Reply   
swoop,

I think someone else already clarified... But, they want you to change to the 40 or 50 at the first service usually at 10-20 hours. They don't say this in the advisory but did suggest to my dealer to use a very high grade oil like Valvoline VR1 Racing oil.

My HH came full with 10w40 and used 1 1/2 quarts during the first 10 hours. It used almost nothing the next 10. But, I did get the low oil pressure warning. At 20 hours I changed to 50w and have not used any oil yet. And, the warnings have gone away.

Last year I had the 8.1. Indmar had a similar advisory for oil consumption issues. They wanted you to change to 40w and a Lucas? additive. I don't recall the exact name. 8 quarts of oil and 2 quarts of Lucas. My 8.1 never used a drop of oil after break-in.
Old     (swoop)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-13-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
Thanks, Larry. I'm going to corroborate this with my service department and make the change.
Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-13-2007, 10:28 PM Reply   
Thanks guys! This is way more helpful than I thought it would be!

Last time I was out I had the oil pressure warning come on and I checked the oil and it was NOT low. But I put in a quart anyway (staying within the operating range)and it made the pressure go back into a normal range.

Looks like I should just switch to straight 50.....

THANKS!
Old     (jwharan)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-14-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
Had the same problem, switched to SAE 50, no problems since.
Old    bocephus            09-14-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
Switch to Amsoil, it won't vaporize near as fast as the other stuff. It's proven and it works!!

(Message edited by bocephus on September 14, 2007)