Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    oldschool            06-30-2004, 7:52 AM Reply   
There is a 99% chance I am moving to Seattle in the August/September time frame. I won't miss much of Florida except for warm water. I am going to be selling my boat (Supra Launch), but was wondering where every rides out there and if there is a group that needs 2 more to add some weight. My wife and I can give up 300 pounds for ballast. We don't think we'll buy another boat, we'll just help pay for maintenance and gas.

So does everyone just ride in Lake Washington? What is the water temp. out there? How long is the riding season?
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-30-2004, 8:52 AM Reply   
In Seattle there is Lake Washington and Lake Sammamish.

Water Temp Site
http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/waterres/lakedata/

Lake Samm Site
http://www.lksamm.com

If you take a 60 minute drive north you can get to Lake Steven's. If you go like 60-90 minutes south there are a couple of smaller lakes.

Riding season is more like how hard core are you, with a drysuit you can go year round, but mostly I would say March to October is a good average riding time. Sometimes you can shed the drysuit in May. This year, I know some shed it in April, but this is an abnormally hot year for Seattle.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-30-2004, 4:42 PM Reply   
NWHC. We ride year round, usually on Sammamish. Shoot me an e-mail when you get up here and I will try to hook you up with a pull. I am only a professional 3rd, so no promises
Old     (tshmitty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-30-2004, 6:30 PM Reply   
Lake Stevens has a water temp of 73 degrees. We also ride year round, but be ready for the shock of your life from Florida to Seattle.

Laci,

When are you going to shoot me some pics of the new boat?
Old    oldschool            07-01-2004, 6:33 AM Reply   
No way, I am blown away. I didn't think the water temp would break 65, and here it's already in the 70's. This is promising.

Thanks for all the offers, I'll be looking you up when we get there. It's pretty much a done deal. My HR Rep, and Managing Partner have signed off on the job transfer. Now I just wait for a date. I am hoping late August to early Septemeber so I have time to sell off the truck, boat, and house. We are going to have a fresh start out there. I'll miss my boat

Jaeger, what is NWHC?
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       07-01-2004, 7:17 AM Reply   
Craig,
If you are moving to Seattle you have to make a trip to the "desert" on the eastern side of the state...
Flat water. Warm temps. Gorgeous scenery.

Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       07-01-2004, 7:25 AM Reply   
Oh ya...
NWHC is Northwest Hardcore.
Don't let a little cold weather EVER stop you...

Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       07-01-2004, 7:26 AM Reply   

Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-01-2004, 7:28 AM Reply   
North West Hard Core.

Some people go by the the 100 degree rule: water temp+air temp=100 degrees.

We go by the 80 degree rule: 45 degree water+35 degree air= the lake all to yourself in the winter.

You will deffinatly want to look into a drysuit if you want to ride more than a few months a year. Just ask Joe j/k. I can get you a hook up when you get here.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-01-2004, 7:52 AM Reply   
Kirk - Were you out on Southwest Lake Washington (south of seward park) Wednesday evning? I saw a Tige' with that tower out there.

We were in an Evergreen Calabria with the same tower.
Old    wawakechic            07-01-2004, 4:51 PM Reply   
Kirk, Bbbbbbrrrrrrrrrr. That water looks rough too. Definately NWHC. I picked up a drysuit earlier this year so that might be me this winter.

Anyone know the temp at Roosevelt? I'm heading there in a couple of weeks.
Old    wawakechic            07-01-2004, 4:51 PM Reply   
Kirk, Bbbbbbrrrrrrrrrr. That water looks rough too. Definately NWHC. I picked up a drysuit earlier this year so that might be me this winter.

Anyone know the temp at Roosevelt? I'm heading there in a couple of weeks.
Old     (tshmitty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-01-2004, 9:09 PM Reply   
That's just down right crazy right there. . .
Old    oldschool            07-02-2004, 5:46 AM Reply   
I'll have to pass on riding in that! I cherish my nuts too much, I don't want them freezing off.

Well, I'll be in Seattle all next week! Fo' free. Looks like I will be moving up in September and looking for a boat to ride in. I will wash, wax, change oil, pay for gas, etc.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-02-2004, 7:15 AM Reply   
Craig, what dates are you going to be in Seattle? Most of the Seattle crew will be at Shasta the 5-9. I'll be back after that. If you have time while you are up here shoot me an e-mail and I might be able to hook you up with a pull.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       07-02-2004, 7:33 AM Reply   
Laci.
Wasn't my boat. We pretty much stick to this side of the state. .
Old    oldschool            07-02-2004, 7:57 AM Reply   
Jaeger, I'll be there the 6th and leaving on the 9th. I will probably spend most of the time looking at apartments. I think we are going to get something downtown for 6 months. This will help save cash on parking. I hope to be able to walk to work.

Looks like I'll have to get on the professional 3rd circuit myself!
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-02-2004, 9:51 AM Reply   
If I still have a boat next week, I am 15 minutes from downtown, you guys can come out for a cruise on Lk. Wa and I can show you from the water about the area.

Not that you are asking, but just in case you have gotten some advice on where to live. Here is some advice about where to live in the area. Just my opinion. Living downtown, somewhat convenient, but expensive. (Belltown to Queen Anne Hill aren't bad options for downtown)

West Seattle, Mercer Island (Mercerwood Apartments), Bellevue, Northgate, Sammamish, Greenlake (not a lake to board on unfortunately) and sections of Wallingford are all good, close, and less expensive options. All have quick direct bus routes into downtown if you want to save on parking downtown.

I work downtown when I am in the Seattle Office and we have the least expensive parking at $180 a month.

Drive around the different areas while you are here. Seattle area is a great place.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-02-2004, 1:17 PM Reply   
Where did all these people come from? I leave for a few months and people are coming out of the wood work. Jaeger, have you been riding at all? How's Jeff? Headed to Kelowna BC next week for wakefest. Should be a blast. Have fun in Shasta!
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-02-2004, 4:50 PM Reply   
Craig,

Just e-mail me. As everyone here knows, the Moby is out every weekend year round.

Hahn,

As soon as you left, it was like a dark cloud had lifted...
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-03-2004, 1:57 AM Reply   
Sure, that's why you've been calling and whinning that you don't have anyone to ride with mid-week.....

I'll remember that Cliffy.
Old    oldschool            07-06-2004, 3:50 PM Reply   
I just got into town today. I haven't looked at WW the entire weekend.

Laci, thanks for the advice. I am going to comb over Belltown right now to see what the costs are. It's walking distance from the office. It's the Microsoft building, check out this great view I will have when I move here...

Looks like I'll be putting the boat up for sale tomorrow.

Does anyone snowboard after work here?
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-06-2004, 6:51 PM Reply   
Snowboarding you have two great after work options...plus one more if you want to drive further or get off early someday.

1) Snoqualmie Pass about 45 minutes straight east on I-90.

http://www.summit-at-snoqualmie.com/

2. Steven's Pass

North to Monroe, then head east on Hwy 2 for an hour (so all in all around 2 hours).

http://www.stevenspass.com/html/index.shtml

3) Crystal Mountain.....south of Seattle, east of Enumclaw.

http://www.crystalmt.com/index.asp

But the best news for you...is you are within hours of so many great ski areas, in Canada (Whistler, Kicking Horse...tons more) and Oregon ain't bad either for driving to the mountains. Plus a quick cheap airfare to Reno, takes you to Tahoe...my favorite place to snowboard. Or even Idaho or Montana. You will find Horizon and Alaska Airlines provide great ski escapes.

Do you know how to ski or snowboard?

I am not NWHC like those above. So I do snowboard a couple of times a year to get my fix till February comes around and I am ready to pull out the drysuit again.

Old    elentz5            07-06-2004, 7:30 PM Reply   
If I lived up there and saw rough ass cold lookin water like that, I would follow both the 100 degree rule and the 80 degree rule. 180 degree rule: turn yourself around and head back to where you just came from.
Old    rweldo            07-06-2004, 9:52 PM Reply   
sup guys, im new to the forum, but have been wakeboarding for about a year and living in washington all my life. once you get use to the whether out here it isnt that bad. it is seattle and it is going to rain. we went to lake washington today and there was almost no one there. we boarded on the north side of i90 and then came back down by boeing in renton. over by boeing we had glass, it was the first time i have ever seen glass on washington. if you can put up with a little rain or clouds you can usually find some good water.
Old    foobysmacker            07-06-2004, 10:35 PM Reply   
craig-- sorry just re-read your post and saw that it IS the MS building like I thought.

i just finished a project in seattle and glad to be back boarding in socal. Stayed in a nice apt over in lower queen anne after I got tired of the hotels in downtown. Got a bunch of snowboarding in at snoqualmie but I left before the water ever warmed up. Good luck with the boarding up there-- hope you get some good boarding in before the season winds down.

(Message edited by foobysmacker on July 06, 2004)
Old    mr_mutt            07-07-2004, 12:45 PM Reply   
It's all about Seafair...be sure to be on the lake for that...Hydroplane races, Blue Angels, it's a blast!

Living, I've been to Seattle a LOT. West is nice, close, and kinda mellow. Bellevue is nice, Mercer Island is REALLY nice, especially on the water. Though the bridges can be hell to cross during rush hour.
Old    oldschool            07-07-2004, 10:50 PM Reply   
I just finished a grueling day of apartment hunting. I found 3 really great deals. One in Belltown, one in Queen Anne, and one in Fremont. If things work out we'll be in Queen Anne off of Galer.

Laci, thanks for the snowboarding links. My wife and I both know how to ride. I grew up in Ohio, so I rode for about 8 years in PA and NY. We're looking forward to doing that. We actually prefer it over wakeboarding. It's much cheaper and nice to be out on your own and not holding up a boat load of people when you fall on every trick :-).

Cliff, yes, that's the MS building, although not much of them there anymore. Mostly Accenture and Avanade from what I gathered.

Ryan, I saw a flag for Seafair, when is it?

Man I love it here!
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-07-2004, 11:01 PM Reply   
Seafair Parade is July 31st, there will be activities that whole next week, qualifying of Hydros is August 5th-7th and race day is the 8th.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       07-08-2004, 11:00 AM Reply   
Craig,

I guess I should chime in here. I am moving up to Seattle myself. I actually just found an apartment on Galer St. in Queen Anne. I am bringing my boat up there in two weeks (maybe next week) I will definately be looking for a second and third until I meet some people up there. I'll probably be riding evenings during the week and early if I go out on a weekend. I'll mostly be on Lake Washington which is a little cool compared to Sammamish.
Old    oldschool            07-08-2004, 4:18 PM Reply   
NO WAY! I spent all day yesterday and my main choice is one on Galer St. It's called Cascade Terrace, 605 Galer St. Took me about 30 minutes to find the damn place because Galer has like 5 dead ends on it coming from Queen Anne Ave. I hope to be getting a 2/1 there in September. So my tentative move date is Sept 15. It could change depending on the sale of my boat and house. But I'd be down for being a third for sure.

(Message edited by oldschool on July 08, 2004)
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       07-08-2004, 5:39 PM Reply   
Yeah, I spent a long time lost in Queen Anne the first time up. I don't really want to give up my address online, but If I have a BBQ, you could walk there in about 10 seconds from the place you mentioned. I'll be up there all next week and I will be bringing the boat up the week after.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-08-2004, 8:48 PM Reply   
holy shizz! look how gray it is!! hahahaha!

jk fellas! i actually miss seattle a bit.
Old    supraboarder            07-09-2004, 1:58 AM Reply   
CRAIG!!! you're leavin us in st pete?? man, that sucks. What happened to the move to SC? I guess I'm going to have to get down to FL sometime soon to get together before you move. Hope that boat gets you all the cash you deserve(for those who haven't seen it, it's immaculate)
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       07-09-2004, 8:06 AM Reply   
Hey Seattle folks,

I've got a potential opportunity for you: I'll be in Seattle next week for a photo shoot for a new boat model and I need a wakeboarder! It's scheduled for Tuesday, July 13, weather permitting. If not, it'll be moved to Wednesday, then Thursday.

For part of the shoot, I need a photogenic wakeboarder. Ideally this person would be capable of inverts off a decent wake. Age is not particularly important, though under 35 or 40 would be best. Male or female is fine.

The shoot is with a world-class photographer. One of the pics from the shoot may very well end up on the cover of a major boating magazine. (See his tear sheets for proof.)

The wakeboard shots would happen between about 12 and 3 p.m. on Lake Washington. If you're interested, use the e-mail address in my profile or call me at 865.582.2200.

Thanks,

Matt Guilford
Communications Manager
Brunswick Boat Group
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2004, 8:51 AM Reply   
kirk those are some classic pics
Old    oldschool            07-11-2004, 8:45 PM Reply   
Troy, I understand not wanting to give the address. I'll send you a private message. It looks like the wife made some good points on living in Queen Anne and we are now shooting for the apartment in Belltown. This way we can both walk to work and what not.

Shawn, yes, it is very sad that I will be parting with my boat. I just spent the good portion of the day detailing the crap out of it. It's as good as it's gonna get now. Let me know when you are around. We've been riding with Jerrod lately and he rips. He used to coach over in Lake Placid and has actually gotten me to land one scare crow.
Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       07-15-2004, 3:10 PM Reply   
Craig, kinda chiming in here a little late (I never really surf this section of the board, stick to the boat accessories section mostly) but my boat should be back on the water (Sammamish) next week and you're welcome to come out if you want. Any chance you ever get off early from work? I get of between 2:30 and 3:00 so I'm to my condo (north end of the lake) and my boat by 3:00 or 3:30. Anyone who can be there that early regularly should let me know cause I either ride then to beat the after work crowd or I wait until the dinner and after dinner crowd go in.
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       07-19-2004, 6:11 AM Reply   
I just wanted to post a quick public thanks to Laci, David and Aubrey (all regular WakeWorld users) for a great time wakeboarding in Seattle. Thanks so much for the warm reception and cool riding!

The temps in Lake Washington weren't nearly as bad as I'd imagined. It was my first time wakeboarding anywhere other than my home lake, and I appreciated the chance to ride behind a Calabria for the first time, be a flag guy for the first time and wakeboard with Ranier in the background!

Laci is a GREAT hostess and I really enjoyed talking to David about his pimped out SSV (can't wait to see it, David). There are some great wakeboarders in the Seattle area, and I was really lucky to get hooked up with a few of them.
Old    oldschool            07-19-2004, 7:36 AM Reply   
Looks like I will be taking my Launch out there after all, but I do want to gets pulls from you guys so I can get into a solid group.

David, I won't be out there permanently until September. WIll it be to cold to ride then?
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-19-2004, 11:59 AM Reply   
Matt: Anytime you are in town and want a pull look me up. It was great to meet you. I actually moved into the lake house yesterday, so now I can be full service hostess....dinner and drinks while the water flattens out.

Craig - Good to hear you get to keep the boat. If you need a place to put it for awhile, let me know. I have room in my driveway or in a slip (or possibly on a lift, if I can get it to work right) on Lk. Wa until October.
Old    oldschool            07-20-2004, 7:19 AM Reply   
Thanks Laci! I will definitely keep that in mind. The boat may not be out there until September, but things are changing quite often here. Moving sucks!

I really appreciate the offer to hold it for me. If I need the spot I'll let you know.

How's the weather right now? It's been like Seattle here...non-stop rain for 4 days. It's interesting because Tampa got 46" last year and Seattle 32", but every says I am stupid for moving out there with all the rain it gets.

Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-20-2004, 8:11 AM Reply   
Weather has been fantastic. This weekend is suppose to be HOT!!! like mid 90s I heard. Although I think it has been a little humid.

We must of swapped weather with Florida or something. Water temps are still hanging around 70.
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-20-2004, 9:29 AM Reply   
For all you Seattle folks,
the NWSessions event for this weekend is going to held somewhere in Everett instead of Hood River, so you should make the short drive and check it out. You can check their website (www.nwsessions.com) for more info. I'll post again with more info when everything is finalized.
Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       07-20-2004, 11:17 AM Reply   
Matt, good to have a fellow Supra SSV owner out here, definately let me know when you're coming back out again and we'll go out in my boat on Sammamish (more lake, less ocean!).
Craig, too cold to ride is all relative. Last season I was riding into the beginning of November so to answer your question, no. You'll want a wetsuit or drysuit starting middle end of October (of course coming from Florida you may want it earlier), and I know some people even ride through the winter in a drysuit. Personally, I take December and January off for skiing (snow) with a little overlap in November and February-April. Glad to hear you're going to have your boat out here.