Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-24-2003, 8:59 AM Reply   
got this from jetgofish...
Be careful out there.... Here's an article from Monday morning's San Francisco Chronicle:

In what authorities are calling a night of chaos in the Delta, new details have emerged regarding one of a string of Delta boating accidents Sunday evening, according to Contra Costa County Sheriff's Office spokesman Jimmy Lee.
Lee said the accident, which he originally reported to have occurred just before 9 p.m. this evening, actually happened just before 8 p.m. in the area of Old River and Fay Island near the Cruiser Haven Resort in unincorporated Contra Costa County.

Lee said the accident was a collision between two boats with a total of seven people on them.

According to Lee, a 13-year-old girl was ejected from one of the boats and sent flying into some rocks. She received facial injuries and was airlifted to Children's Hospital in Oakland.

Lee said an adult male was also ejected from one of the boats and was airlifted to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek. The extent of his injuries is unknown.

Lee said the cause of the accident is under investigation and that it is still too early to tell if alcohol was involved.

Three other boating accidents -- one of them confirmed as alcohol-related -- occurred about 7:15 p.m. Sunday night near the Orwood Resort in unincorporated Contra Costa County, said Lee.

The first accident caused minor injuries, but the driver of the boat allegedly tried to flee. Lee said he was subsequently booked for boating under the influence.

The second accident may have been related to the first, according to Lee. Lee said information on the accident is scarce but that one person was sent to a local hospital.

The third accident may have been a collision between two boats, said Lee. No injuries were reported in that accident and it is not believed to have been alcohol-related, according to Lee.
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-24-2003, 10:39 AM Reply   
We were eating at orwood when a boat rolled in with the windsheild and bimini caved in sunday around 5. About 15 minutes after that another boat rolled in with a guy with a huge gash in his ankle. BE CAREFUL!!
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-24-2003, 11:05 AM Reply   
ouch!!!! I wonder If they all came from ski beach after hard day of drinking.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-24-2003, 2:44 PM Reply   
Both saturday and sunday were nuts. Ihad people without skiiers in tow going 25 feet off my bow or stern when we were picking up riders or getting ready to ski. One boat in particular was a twin engine Cigarette looking white Centurion that was like 30 feet long with a big round mirror on the side. Not one of the new Centurions, this thing looked old. If I'd had a wrist rocket or better yet rock salt in a 410 I would have sent a loud and clear message. When peeps arent towing someone they should just throttle off and wait until its safe to pass/proceed. Stupid people. Also saw at Orwood on saturday a guy come in with a new seadoo or yamaha jet drive boat with a collapsed tower.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-24-2003, 2:58 PM Reply   
its amazing! Thats one of thing thats pisses me off the most... when towing or getting ready to board someone gets right on your ass... Scares me most when I got a beginner that i'm towing... They could fall at any time and lets hope that boat is paying attention...
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-24-2003, 3:27 PM Reply   
I'll second that....Sat. was pretty crazy...I even had the privilege of someone in a Red Centurion (i think) send a nice roller over the bow of my boat. I'm sitting in the midst of about 4 boats and I have a down boarder waiting to go and some bright driver decides that they have to squeeze through at around 15 mph about 20 feet in front of me...i was helpless and just had to take in the chin. Oh well...at least they didn't do it on purpose i guess.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-24-2003, 3:36 PM Reply   
it all comes down to boating ediquette... driving right behind a boarder, speeding through conjested areas or very close to boats/boarders, or slowing down sending the bigest wake possible thinking your being safer for not speeding (no wake would be safest & best) Speeding around blind corners, or cutting blind corners (seen that f'n crazy) all these little things would make it things safer and more respectable.
Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       06-24-2003, 6:02 PM Reply   
There should be a boating licenses, just like an automobile drivers license. The license would also aply to jet skiers. An age minimum would also apply.
A safe boating class would have to be taken and a test passed in order for the license to be issued.

(Message edited by supersport on June 24, 2003)
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-24-2003, 8:40 PM Reply   
I have to agree about the crazy drivers this weekend. I can't tell you how many boats pulled up a boarder right as I came around behind them (I'm talking 50 yards or less) or even when I was right along side them. With the narrow delta channels, it is a deathwish to pull up a rider directly in front of an overweight, unmanageable comp boat. If you pull up along side me, nobody gets a good ride.

From my soapbox I say:
PEOPLE! JUST 'CAUSE THE RIDER SAYS "HIT IT" DOESN'T MEAN YOU TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF AND THROTTLE UP. The driver must make the ultimate decision of when to go, not the rider!

For those who do it intentionally 'cause they want to score the smooth water, I say this...it is not worth risking the lives of your pals...'cause it may be someone dumberer (and meanerer) than you in that boat you just cut off.
Old    wakelvr            06-24-2003, 9:00 PM Reply   
like me... I'm mean. Stay the heck out of my way!!!

especially if you are a black and blue Malibu!!!
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-24-2003, 9:16 PM Reply   
Stef,
You forgot the line about "it's MY water".
Or, "I just paid 50 thousand for a boat and I'll drive it however the he11 I want."

(funny enough, my boss subscribes to the second opinion about his x-30 [especially when it comes to power turns and one way channels]...but his double standard becomes quite evident when you blast your 5 thousand dollar stereo in front of his million dollar disco bay home)
Old    absolutofft            06-24-2003, 10:24 PM Reply   
This reminds me of the time that there was a woman following behind me in a skiboat more concerned with keeping her path straight for her husband than mowing me down in the water. Geeze what can be done about these negligent waterskiers :P
Old    snowdog            06-25-2003, 2:53 PM Reply   
Nice comments,
there is a good discussion on this topic on GW:

http://www.gowakin.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=7116#7116
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       06-25-2003, 8:41 PM Reply   
Deleted some messages to get this thread back on track...