Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (petew)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-07-2010, 3:16 AM Reply   
Sick....very sick......but where are the vests? Why does wakeworld condone this by featuring there video? Ironicaly almost straight after a wear your life vest article? ha.

Wakeworld take some responsability! your promoting unsafe practices on a very mainstream website.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-07-2010, 4:08 AM Reply   
peter, its a personal choice for a rider to wear a vest or not. I didn't think this would make it one post after seeing Dylan not wearing a vest. If you want to really address safety, how about helmets for those rail hits. The wakeboarding is in a pretty controlled environment in this video with the chase boat right next to the rider but that wouldn't stop them from being brain dead from a head injury.
Old     (txwakerider)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-07-2010, 8:12 AM Reply   
What trick does dylan do at 3:11 it is hurting y brain trying to figure it out its like ts front flip to blind?? I dunno Ive watched it too many time at work already though trying to figure it out.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-07-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
3:11 is a pete rose

This video was posted around Septemberish of this last year. It won a video contest. I wonder why its just now being posted as an article?

Riding is great. No helmet on rails, and half the video is no lifejacket... Thats sketchy and I would not recommend it to anyone
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-07-2010, 9:16 AM Reply   
Frankly i think Wakeworld should be VERY CAREFUL putting these videos up- it's essentially an endorsement for not wearing vests... I get the "personal choice" issue like wearing a helmet, etc, but there are so many situations were people - even pros - have been seriously injured or killed boarding. At some level there needs to be some sort of moral obligation - and say " we'd love to show this vid, but we can' doesn't promote safe riding." Bottom line- ask yourself if you'd let anyone ride behind your boat without a vest..
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-07-2010, 9:30 AM Reply   
No, I wouldn't let anyone ride behind my boat without a vest. And I would never ride without a CGA vest. However, my personal choices are just that, mine.

As far as WakeWorld goes, we have a responsibility to report on wakeboarding. If all the pros stop riding with vests, should we shut down? Should I insist that they all wear helmets while riding behind the boat? Should I insist that they send me a picture confirming that their boat has a CGA vest on board for each passenger? How about a picture proving their is a fire extinguisher on board? Maybe an alcohol/drug test on film prior to every rider hitting the water? I don't condone any of those things, but it's not my job tell professional riders how to do their job.

I believe we report on wakeboarding in a responsible manner with warnings telling people that it's important to wear a vest and/or helmet as well as other safety tips. However, our audience is here to find out what's happening in the world of wakeboarding and that's exactly what we're bringing to them. We report the good, the bad and the ugly.

That's exactly why we're the ONLY wake publication that did not put out some kind of statement after Corey Kraut's death saying that we will no longer display photos of riders without vests. We are not the vest police. We give you the information to make an informed decision and at some point the individual has to take some responsibility for their own actions.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-07-2010, 9:34 AM Reply   

quote:

Why does wakeworld condone this by featuring there video?

quote:

it's essentially an endorsement for not wearing vests

So if I put up a video of Travis Pastrana jumping out of a plane without a parachute (or a helmet or life vest), does that mean I'm condoning it and endorsing jumping out of a plane without a vest? Come on? Really?
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-07-2010, 10:12 AM Reply   
I agree with David on this one....Its their own personal choice if they wanna wear a comp vest, CGA vest or no vest....We can't stop ppl from choosing what they do and don't do....this website, like David said, is for bring us (fans and riders) news and highlights of wakeboarding....everytime you wakeboard you are taking a risk....its up to the person riding to make their own decision....just my $.02....Get em David!
Old     (petew)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-07-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
they were riding sick...but there was nothing amazingly epic to be seen in that video which just HAD to be shown and reported on.

also there was no reason for them not to be wearing vests in any part of the video.

if every wakeboard publication did refuse to show stuff that didnt feature the BARE ESSENTIALS in safety there would be a hell of a lot less pro's/imitators disregarding the bare essentials of safety.

Like it or not the stuff that is posted on this website will influence peoples own personal choices. especially young influencial kids.

To be fair I dont really care that much i just thought it was a funny feature to do after all the forum activity about chad sharp stuff.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-07-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   

quote:

if every wakeboard publication did refuse to show stuff that didnt feature the BARE ESSENTIALS in safety there would be a hell of a lot less pro's/imitators disregarding the bare essentials of safety.

True, but a huge 'if' that is nowhere near reality in our sport or any other.
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-07-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
I've been trying to find this video forever it was my favorite short vid then it was removed from vimeo and I haven't seen it since. Those first kicker rail hits were so sick and both of those guys have awesome style.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-07-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
yea, wasn't that video posted 6-9 months ago?
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-07-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
Didn't Alliance or Wakeboard magazine try not publishing anyone not wearing a vest...? That vid was pretty popular BEFORE it came onto wakeworld (Negating the whole "publishing without wearing a vest rule).

I think threads like these are why you dont see more pros posting on here. Everyone wants the pro's to push the sport but on their own terms... with a vest...with a helmet. Its THEIR CHOICE!

Haters!
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       01-07-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
ya i mean you see pro snowboarders all the time in the backcountry without thier avy gear....

oh thats right you dont because the sport regulates itself. People wont go into the BC with you if you dont have it. They clown your arse for being a tool.

Its a personal choice until it involes someone else. Like someone jumping out of a boat to find you underwater. And something goes wrong for them. Its all good if they know they are being dipshlits and they arent going to be rescued by someone jumping in.

s far as reality in our sport, it always starts with one person or company starting a trend, be part of the solution not the problem

darwin at its best, ride without a vest and drown im not worried about what you do just dont ask me for help

(Message edited by nsolis220 on January 07, 2010)
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-07-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
I think the irony is pretty thick on this topic. The timing of the article, right after an article discussing why a pro has changed his tune about wearing a vest, couldn't be worse. IMO, WW could choose to show only riders with vests without a drop off in web hits or promo $$, because in the end, the guys who click on WW 100x a day would never know WW is refusing to show video or pics of riders w/o jackets... right?

This is Dave's baby, and I agree he has the rigth to do what he wants. IMO, hoewever, showing video content of riders w/o vests is pointless when there are huundreds of great riding content created daily that all show riders with vests.

I like Dave, and I think he is stand up guy, but I disagree with him strongly on this point. I think this is an opportunity for someone rooted in the indsutry to take a stand. I just don't see how the content, or the image, or the number of web hits, advertising dollars, etc would be affected if Dave changed his opiionin. Maybe I am 100% wrong...could be... just my 2 cents.

-Uj
Old     (txwakerider)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-07-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
That is a weird looking pete rose.....maybe its the angle
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-07-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   

quote:

it always starts with one person or company starting a trend, be part of the solution not the problem

Awesome advice if I was running WakeWorld with the goal of getting kids to wear life jackets. Unfortunately, since I'm running WakeWorld to report on the sport of wakeboarding, it doesn't really apply to me.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-07-2010, 12:44 PM Reply   
Though they have the option to put on a vest, I will point out that in most places it is illegal to not wear a vest while riding. I got a $205 Ticket for riding with a Non-CGA vest at a tournament this summer, and I at least had something on.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       01-07-2010, 12:51 PM Reply   
it does apply to you Dave,

Do you care about Wakeboarding?
Do you care if a young kid loses his life? Reality is this site does have a impact on people and choices. The best part of it is WW because of the followship can do more good than anything or one else.

then it does apply to you if you say yes.

If saving one life by doing the right thing occurs its all worth it.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-07-2010, 12:52 PM Reply   
Dave,

Respectively... how does not showing a video of somebody w/o a vest detract from your goal of reporting on the Sport of Wakeboarding? What is it that you are reporting on this peice... the fact this kid chose to ride w/o a vest, or the fact that this kid a sick rider? I think it is the latter, so i am not sure how him w/o a vest is critical to the point of the article?

Or maybe the goal is to get people to click on WW... Since he did not have a vest on, and this video is creating new posts and making people click on WW (which is good for business) the article is achieving its goal?

IMO, your goal is both, but as I said before, I don't see how WW articles (not threads) showing only riders w/vests, would change your bottom line.

-Uj
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-07-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
THIS IS WAKEWORLD. NOT PARENT-WORLD.

You can tell your kids/friends/crew/whoever to wear a foam infused fruit-of-the-looms if you want. Stop telling everyone else about. It's a personal choice.
Old     (eyedvride)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-07-2010, 1:00 PM Reply   
txwakerider, the first one Hollick does or the next? The second isn't a Pete, I think it's a fruit loop.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       01-07-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
It looks like it is a front flip with a back side three. I think fruit loop too.
Old     (timmo)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-07-2010, 1:16 PM Reply   
Prefer the individual vid they did last year- wasn't sure if this was a promo (or even a sponsor me) vid, but it's cool none theless- although if you've watched the front page vid you've already seen it!!
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       01-07-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
nacho its not a personal choice, they impact and risk other people with not wearing one. since wakeboarding requires others and since most people have friends and family it affects others}
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       01-07-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
Upload

read the bottom part. people dont realize its NOT just a personal choice
Old     (txwakerider)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-07-2010, 1:25 PM Reply   
See that is what I thought I knew that wasn't a pete rose at 3:11 he does a front flip not a back roll I was thinking a weird crowmobe maybe but didnt think so since it seemed more of a front flip than front roll??? but it just looked weird......and I cant believe this post has gotten this long and no one has talked at all about how killer some of the riding was in there.... Let them live their lives they let you live yours.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-07-2010, 1:27 PM Reply   

quote:

If saving one life by doing the right thing occurs its all worth it.

I believe I am "doing the right thing" by providing a service to wakeboarders. That service is reporting on the good, bad and ugly of the sport of wakeboarding. You are asking me to censor portions that, in your judgment, are in some way detrimental. I respect that if you were running a wakeboarding magazine you'd do it with the goal of preserving the life of kids. However, my goal differs from yours. Although I certainly don't want any kids drowning, my goal is to report on whatever I feel is newsworthy in relation to wakeboarding.

quote:

how does not showing a video of somebody w/o a vest detract from your goal of reporting on the Sport of Wakeboarding?

Nobody is claiming that his lack of a vest is the story or "critical to the article." I think it would be an even better video if he was wearing a vest. However, even without the vest, this video shows two relative unknowns seriously throwing down, and that's news that I'm here to report.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-07-2010, 1:27 PM Reply   
The kicker hits into different jibs were nasty... A+ Respect.

Don't sweat the hate Dave! People getting thier panties in a wad seems to be so common during the cold months :-)

Safety police continue...

(Message edited by xbones on January 07, 2010)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-07-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
I agree that's it's not a totally personal choice. I think riding without a vest is one of the most selfish things you can do. I could give a rat's ass about you making a bad decision and hurting yourself, but if you're so incredibly selfish that you don't care about your family or friends in the boat having to watch you drown or have to pull your broken body out of the water without the assistance of a life vest, then you've got your priorities whacked. The only time I can see it as being acceptable is if you're going for a certain look for a photo/video shoot and you've got the gear and crew that are equipped to handle things if something goes wrong.

That being said, pros do it all the time and if they're doing something impressive behind the boat that I think our readers will want to see, then I'll bring it to you.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-07-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
The people impacted and at risk were there with the moron with no vest. If they weren't comfortable with those risks, then they shouldn't be there. Simple as that.

And for someone setting the trend, I thought Sharpe did a pretty good job of it this past week or two. I know its winter and all we have to discuss is this damn worn out vest issue. People do stupid shat! You can't control them! We might as well have a wakeboarding site that doesn't CENSOR our vids!!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-07-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
BTW I never ride without a vest. And I never pull anyone without a vest.
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-07-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
Its a personal choice. If its your boats, you set the rules. If its your kids, you set the rules. If its your wake park, you set the rules. OTHERWISE its the riders choice. I choose to wear a vest because i know how hard i can crash and frankly i look better in a vest than i do bare chested haha.
Old     (funkyhomosapien)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-07-2010, 2:17 PM Reply   
I saw this video at the end of this past summer and and was super impressed. Nice to see it get more recognition. Awesome riding and cinemetography.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-07-2010, 2:24 PM Reply   
it would be really hard to draw a line on the vest censorship. most people winching dont wear vests. its usually really shallow and it seems weird wearing a vest when it wont do anything to help if you were to get hurt. so if there was a vest rule it would have to apply to this and you would not see any new winch vids or pics. even if those guys' stuff wasnt getting published they would probably still continue to go vestless and just put it out there on their own.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-07-2010, 2:38 PM Reply   
sick sick video!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-07-2010, 2:49 PM Reply   
Dave, thanks for simply reporting the news and not doing the whole censorship thing...we all know how many heated topics get started on the non-wake threads based on different news organizations who censor the content.

Big up to Chad for his activity, posts on WW and the vest issues. I believe he had a vid a year or two ago with TS double back w an indy grab W/O a vest. That thread turned into another heated discussion about the topic as well.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-07-2010, 2:53 PM Reply   
Agreed, very impressive riding. I like Hollick's spin breakdown to start, all four frontside OA 7's, damn fine.

txwakerider, at 3:07 he does a Pete shot from the tube, at 3:11 he does another Pete shot from the shore.
Old     (eyedvride)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-07-2010, 5:27 PM Reply   
watched it again, yep pete from shore. was hard to tell if he was hs or ts until i played it back in slow mo.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-07-2010, 5:52 PM Reply   
Ooooh! There's a Snack Shack!
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-07-2010, 5:53 PM Reply   
switch pete... if you notice he has a nice roll to blind... all he does is basically throw that roll to blind but on his switch toes... it does look a little funky though.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       01-07-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
There is no way that is a Pete Rose. The rotation is end over end and forwards not backwards. I believe this is the trick:

Flavor Flip: A toeside front flip with a backside 360 - Invented by Mike Weddington.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       01-07-2010, 7:41 PM Reply   
There is no way that is a Pete Rose. The rotation is end over end and forwards not backwards. I believe this is the trick:

Flavor Flip: A toeside front flip with a backside 360 - Invented by Mike Weddington.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-07-2010, 8:05 PM Reply   
so by posting this your saying that if he posted a video with them wearing a non CGA vest that that would be bad to, those are illegal, at least here in cali, so posting hat is telling people that non cga is what you need to do this thread is a total joke IMO
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-07-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
if he normally rides right foot forward, it's a pete rose. if he normally rides left foot forward, it's an x-mobe.

(Message edited by dakid on January 07, 2010)
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-07-2010, 8:50 PM Reply   
Exactly. It's a pete. You don't (can't) land blind on a backside 3.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-07-2010, 11:23 PM Reply   
i think it would be awesome if wakeworld took a positive stand on this issue rather than negative.

david people come to this site for everything wakeboarding related.... more so than monthly magazines. young and new riders seek out your site to enhance their careers, get exposure for their sponsors, etc. you DO have the power to limit the content on your site.

do you really think anthony and dylan would not send in their footage????? hell no... they want to get exposure..... they will do what it takes and do it well.

it sucks the vid posted was one of anthony and dylan as they are sasky kids and much respected..... riding without a life vest is lame.... no different than drinking and driving or not wearing a seatbelt. 20 years ago the public thought both of those were kinda stupid....

it would be nice to see someone in the wakeboard industry have some balls and stand up to some of the riders and brands. this industry is so small and everyone pussyfoots around, not wanting to be ousted.

anyways this debate will rage on until someone in the media or wake industry sets the new standard.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-07-2010, 11:25 PM Reply   
on a positive note.... amazing edit adam, dylan and anthony.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-07-2010, 11:33 PM Reply   
Adam, wow! Did you read anything I wrote?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-07-2010, 11:58 PM Reply   
i think adam read the first post, scrolled down, and responded.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-08-2010, 4:59 AM Reply   
Riding without a vest IS LAME BUT the situation with a chase boat no less than 20 feet from the rider is a VERY CONTROLLED environment. If he went down, they would be right there with a minimum of two people to grab him. There is a big difference between riding without a vest in a video/photo shoot where there is a chase boat and riding without a vest with your friends with no chase boat and more of a relaxed environment. If you go down hard, your friends aren't necessarily going to know to speed over to you and also know exactly where you fell, but when the boat is right next to you, they know where you are at.

People on here get so obsessed with wearing life vests when the majority of the deaths in recent years have been do to traumatic brain injury. Look at surfing. These guys are paddling into a wave like pipeline which takes 1-2 lives per year from getting knocked unconscious and drowning, but do guys wear helmets out there? No. There are a small few but the majority do not, and the guys that get killed surfing out there are not kooks. Aside from that, guys are going out and towing into 40-50 foot waves and are praised for it. Is this safe? Absolutely not. Is it much more dangerous than wakeboarding without a vest? Not even in the same league. Do 1000's of kids see these videos? Yes. Do they decide to take daddy's brand new supercharged ski and tow into Ghost Trees because the pros made it look easy? No. The fact of the matter is everyone knows that they are supposed to wear a vest and knows that if they can drown if something goes wrong whether they are 13 or 30. Just because a pro posts a video not wearing a vest does not mean they are just going to all of a sudden stop wearing their vests. If they are that dumb and everyone in the boat is that dumb and their parents are that dumb for letting them go out and ride without vests and they know that wakeboarders have drowned because they didn't wear a vest, then there are simply two words: natural selection.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-08-2010, 5:42 AM Reply   
Kyle... from experience, the natural selection argument doesn't play well on this board homie :-) haha... get your flame retardant gear on!
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-08-2010, 6:56 AM Reply   
Dave, I think you see this is a polarizing issue and a prety hot topic. My only reason for suggesting WW be careful with these is the fact that we live in a VERY litigious society and it would be a terrible thing for someone to draw conclusions to you and your site in the event of a death. Personally, I DON'T agree this is a personal choice- it should absolutely be a requirement to wear a vest of some sort when you get behind a boat. Many of us have taken massive crashes and ended up under water head down- disoriented. With the number of kids and frankly, uniformed boaters or people new to the sport on this site- i'd hate to think anyone would come to the conclusion this represents an endorsement for this behavior.
As many state, this video doesn't frankly, present anything game-changing or new and being this community is relatively small, and WW is a big player in it, I think there is a higher standard to which WW should be held. This is a great site- and just like any great journalistic source, employing disclaimers and/or making STRONG statements about not endorsing this behavior should be considered- like sending the vid back and saying "we can't show it". my .02
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-08-2010, 7:45 AM Reply   
I think that WakeWorld has grown to a point where the pro riders want to be active on here and want to show their new videos. With that power comes some responsibility and if someone like Chad Sharpe, who is unquestionably one of the hardest charging pros out there, wants to report on here about how he almost drowned because of not wearing a vest, then I think it is just bad timing to post a video directly above his story with guys riding without a vest. And because that video came out 6 months ago, it's not really "news" any more, is it?

Whether it's smart or not, people look to and mimic what the pros do and Chad's important post shouldn't have been marginalized by a video so soon after his scary incident. It all comes down to the pros for taking their own responsibility and wearing vests, and hopefully Chad can get more of his pro friends to wear one, but WakeWorld has the following and ability to report on wakeboarding news and also to encourage people to wear vests because the pros know this is the biggest online forum in the industry. My $.02.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-08-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
I've never been a big fan of thinking that the chase boat next to the rider makes it a controlled environment for the rider not wearing a vest.

Think of it this way... have you ever seen a crash that didn't look bad but ended up being much worse than it appeared? How many people are truly ready to jump out of the boat at a moments nottice, and ready to jump out on crashes that don't look bad, but could possibly be bad for evertime the rider crashes? Chase boat may be next to the rider, but at 20-29mph and a sudden stop (crash by the rider)... it still takes time for the driver to realize what happened, stop, and turn around.
Old     (okcwakebrdr)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-08-2010, 7:52 AM Reply   
I drive down the road in my truck and dont wear a seatbelt....ooops! Is there much difference there!!! Let it GO, people have been doing that forever! My $.02
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-08-2010, 8:02 AM Reply   
Well said Kyle, maybe parents should do more parenting these days. I remember taking my parents boat out on my own with friends at 17 yrs old and NEVER ONCE rode without a vest because I thought it was cool. This was back during the WSR time with Byerly, Vandall, Horell, Ricky G, etc... and those cats were never wearing vests (and I idolized them, favorite movie is still Westside). In fact I rode with the DU crew less than 2 weeks after Kordell's passing (RIP). Regardless I KNEW what good safety was on and off the water. I knew the risks, dangers and possible repercussions...quite frankly I am sick of everyone who wants to watch ground breaking footage from pro riders and then B!tch and complain about the terms at which that riding occurred. Are we going to start pushing for winchers to wear helmets and vests...because its only a matter of time there.

With that said I still ride with a USCG and think no differently when watching someone rip in either a: Just a T-shirt, T-shirt over Non-USCG vest or a USCG vest....its all the same to me.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-08-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
We do encourage people to wear vests. Search the threads and see how many times I've argued against the use of even non-CGA vests. I'm sorry that some of you believe it's a crusade to which I should dedicate more time and resources, but I'll have to respectfully disagree.

That being said, those of you that do believe more resources should be put toward this issue are welcome to do so. In fact, I encourage you to make a donation toward the new "Safety" section we're working on for the new version of WakeWorld. However, I find it hard to believe that many will put their money where their mouth is.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-08-2010, 8:21 AM Reply   
^ bingo. It's one thing to sit on a forum and bitch about it. Help Dave create the safety section with a donation.

I'm sure WakeMikey, peterward, et al. will lead the charge against irresponsible wakeboarding.
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-08-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
y'all are fruitcakes. it's a ts backroll with a fs 3, often called a pete rose, and the video was sick. can't we just appreciate it? i love how it reminds me of a snowboard video like they had to work to get a shot.
Old     (txwakerider)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-08-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
I dont see how its a pete if he is doing a front flip not a back-roll? I think I agree with the fruit loop theory, TS Frontflip with a fs 360.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-08-2010, 8:46 AM Reply   
I think the last posts by Dave and Nacho are missing the original point Peter was making. WW articles (on the front page of WW website) pull far more weight than some poster with a screen name of "Uncle Jessie" posting in some "safety section"... seriously... who, or what kid, is going to click on that section?

IMO, I think the reason it was posted is to create WW chatter about a hot topic... Success!
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-08-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
I know each rider makes it their personal choice to ride with or without a vest, and some even say they only will ride with a CGA which I totally understand. What I have against this is posting the video on the website when we clearly as a majority are all against riding without a vest. If you read all of the posts from Chad's topic, and with all of the other topics that relate, I don't remember ever seeing someone say that they ride with no vest or even allow someone to ride behind their boat w/ no vest. The WW community is all pretty much on the same page from what I can see. And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it a few years ago that all of the producing companies for new wakeboarding videos agreed to not put riding in the video unless the rider was wearing a vest? That was sick riding in the video, but it was overshadowed by their lack of sense IMO.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-08-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
And I just rewatched the trick at 3:11 and paused it a few times. Its hard to tell whether or not he is TS or HS when he hits the wake because the video speeds up at that point. When I paused it I could tell he hit it TS and I'm pretty positive its a Method TS backroll to revert with a BS 1. The blind 1 is thrown much later than a standard Pete Rose.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-08-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
So if the majority is that we are against riding without a vest and we peons never do it, what is the problem? Do we need Dave to hold our hands and make sure we are censored enough to never witness someone riding without a vest?! Holy hell people, if it bugs you that much, stop watching!!

txwakerider, sorry son, it's a Pete Rose (perhaps switch as that guy doesn't have an off side).
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-08-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   

quote:

What I have against this is posting the video on the website when we clearly as a majority are all against riding without a vest.

That's great and very safe. I'm glad that most people wear vests. That's a good thing. However, as a majority our readers clearly are NOT against watching video of riding without a vest.

I'm also pretty sure that the majority of our audience is against doing a double back flip on a dirt bike. Also great and very safe. However, I'm pretty sure 98% of our audience has watched the video of Travis Pastrana doing a double back flip on a dirt bike. Using your logic, you would find hipocricy in that.

Seems like some of you are confusing our reporting on somebody doing something with our condoning and or encouraging our readers to do that same thing. As you can surmise from the example above, that's a ridiculous leap.
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-08-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
tx, you realize it's almost impossible to do the trick you're talking about without it just turning into a crow mobe? and you contradicted yourself a fruitloop is a ts front w bs 180. he takes off ts and lands ts.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-08-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
Is anyone having trouble viewing this video at http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=2659 ? Somebody using Safari told me that it's telling them it's a private video.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-08-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
hypocrisy would be saying people should not do double backflips on a dirt bike, and here is why, and then posting a video of a double backflip 2 days later.

video viewed fine on Firefox
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-08-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
^^^Interesting logic. So I'm in the clear as long as I get rid of all our articles that advise people to wear a life vest, right?

Can you post up a copy of the letter you sent to ESPN after you watched the double back flip video? Obviously, you must have done so since they didn't give a warning telling you not to try it at home. They obviously condone and encourage all their readers to try double back flips.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-08-2010, 11:59 AM Reply   
Where was that logic in my post? Why do you keep bringing up logic regarding everyone's post? I commented on this;

"I'm also pretty sure that the majority of our audience is against doing a double back flip on a dirt bike. Also great and very safe. However, I'm pretty sure 98% of our audience has watched the video of Travis Pastrana doing a double back flip on a dirt bike. Using your logic, you would find hipocricy in that. "

ESPN never ran a special on a pro that nearly died almost doing a double backflip before the X games( other than Pastrana himself). Now if they began showing every aspiring pro trying them afterwards, it would be a related argument.

Let's bring up snowboarding, skateboarding, chess and checkers, and a good game of skee-ball too. Relating peoples comments to other sports is starting to dodge the actual point of the post.

I can care less, actually I do care, and would like to see videos of riders vest or not. But the answers and reactions from both sides avoid the actual point started in the post. Article A shows you should wear a vest. Article C shows that if you send a video prominently showing boat sponsor "X", regardless of safety recently cited it will be posted. That is hypocritical in my opinion.

Has anyone seen the backlash from Kevin Pearce being injured? There are literally sports writers, that know nothing about snowboarding saying the IOC should get involved and stop double corks (double flips). Snowboarders are outraged because the media did not go to a reliable source. The media are also twisting him being injured and the support he is receiving into fuel for their fire. Now that has nothing to do with this really, but found it interesting and I'm outraged as well.

Good video... and much love to all. Best thing about this is it's getting wearing a vest attention as well as the vid.. Win/win?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-08-2010, 12:36 PM Reply   
Ahhh, the truth comes out. WakeWorld is chasing the almighty dollar from Malibu and throwing young riders under the bus to do it. You sniffed it out. I thought for sure that after 13 years of building trust with our readers I'd be able to pull it off and get the mother of all payoffs from Malibu. In hindsight, I probably should have waited 20 years. Patience is a tough one for me.

Unfortunately, you fail to understand the definition of "reporting." We did not run an article saying "you should wear a vest." We ran a report from a pro rider about his experience when he was not wearing a vest. Nor did we run a "video prominently showing boat sponsor X." We reported on two young riders that are very good at wakeboarding.

Now I must go write a letter to my local paper. First they ran a piece about a gun safety class being offered. Then, in the same issue, they had the audacity to report on an armed robbery. Apparently hypocrisy is not only found on the pages of WakeWorld. It's infecting our whole society!!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-08-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwnanPuuCwk
Old     (petew)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-08-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
If your local paper did a piece on gun saftey and there main points were always have the saftey catch on and always face the gun down when walking beacuse a top gunman got shot in the chest and almost died.
Then the very next day did a piece with respected gun men completley disregarding these rules. then im sure they would have some pissy letters being sent to the a the paper.

you can put what ever spin on it you want and relate it to travis pastranna dancing drunk if you want but at the end of the day people are going to be annoyed.

I dont consider myself mr safety but after all the forum activity with chad that video post was just stupid.
Old     (petew)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-08-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
nacho said somthing a few posts up.

I would happily do a safety feature or video or anything else. Again im not mr safety or honestly care that much about it but I for sure would do anything for the sport.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-08-2010, 1:21 PM Reply   
The paper, like Wakeworld, is just reporting the news. Good, bad or indifferent.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-08-2010, 1:25 PM Reply   
Give it up Peter. It was coincidental that the video came after Chad's article, but one had nothing to do with the other. You don't run this site, Dave does and it is awesome that he posts new videos up for us. If you are against this then you should be against all of the winching videos where the riders are riding in spots that are illegal. On top of that, they are hitting very dangerous rails in potentially very shallow water with no idea what is underneath them, and not wearing a helmet. Do you think its ok that they are winching in private property the majority of the time or in rivers with heavy currents and never wearing a vest? If anything, kids are going to try and winch spots that are way beyond their ability levels before they are going to try 720's without a vest on.
Old     (petew)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-08-2010, 1:26 PM Reply   
What news did wakeworld report??? I saw an old video with no new riding.

(But it was extremlly good riding and I fully like there style)
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-08-2010, 1:26 PM Reply   
I'm not here to b**** about who should do what. I know what they should do, they know what they should do. (Professionals,Organizations, Filmers, etc.)

If I heard that Aaron Rathy stuck a bs 1260 on video and wakeworld was not going post an article about it or show the video because he wasn't wearing a lifejacket. I would be pissed about the fact that I wasn't going to be able see such an amazing move... but I would be even happier about the fact that wakeworld is not broadcasting unnecessary dangerous activity.

Not throwing either Aaron Rathy or wakeworld under a bus, I'm just using this as an an example.

You can refuse to be a role model... but when people look up to you, you're forced into that responsibility whether you like it or not.

just my 2 cents take it or leave it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-08-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
(But it was extremlly good riding and I fully like there style)

answered your own question.