Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-09-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
Last night 3:15am my truck alarm - nothing fancy, just the stock factory alarm - went off. Turns out someone got in my truck and my boat.

The cover on my boat was pulled back from the stern (backed into my side pad next to driveway) and there were muddy footprints on the seat. The drivers door of my truck was ajar but in both cases I cannot note anything missing.

Maybe I was lucky that the alarm scared them away. Just hope it was not a scouting missing and that they will be back.

Not many options in my mind for my boat but are there any thoughts for deterrents?

thanks in advance.

T
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-09-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
This happened to my partner a couple years back, they came by to scout, then returned a couple days later for the kill. Hope this doesn't happen, I would suggest lighting up the area with outdoor flood lights, that will keep most thieves away.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-09-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
Get a dog
Old     (fastrd400)      Join Date: May 2009       07-09-2009, 9:24 AM Reply   
Install outdoor flood lights on a motion detector.

Had a buddy install razor blades in his outside door handles once, came out to find blood all down the side of his truck one morning.
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-09-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
When I was younger I installed a motion detector outside. But I wired the light to turn on my radio in my room...I caught a few cats. Then one night scared the crap out of some punks looking through windows Ha Ha!!!
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-09-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
Good ideas.

Mikeski - I've got two staffy bulls but they slept right through it. worthless lol. Maybe I should kick them outside at night.

I am going to install motion lights when I get home tonight. Hoping that works for now.

T
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-09-2009, 10:25 AM Reply   
Forget the motion lights and install dusk to dawn lights. A constantly lit vehicle is a no-no for thieves especially in a rural neighborhood. I have one on either side of garage and two down the side not to mention a street light right in front and i've left the boat covered in the driveway few times without incident.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-09-2009, 10:59 AM Reply   
I'm so lucky I haven't had to deal with thieves in my past, knock on wood. Motion lights ftw, and a dog. My dog is 2 feet tall but he can growl and bark like a Pitbull.

Razor blades under the door handles is a very very good idea, just remember to take them out before you grab them.

I'd also pull an all-nighter a couple of times that weekend with a shotgun next to me.

I'm overzealous on security, and it'd be worth them doing it if I could catch them doing it with a gun in hand.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-09-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
Call the police and tell them what happened and more than likely they will run a couple of extra night patrols.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-09-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
One more idea. Get one of these and it should work as a deterrent, but if they do jack your stuff you have some evidence! Almost nothing better than busting thieves.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_95971____SearchResults
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-09-2009, 1:51 PM Reply   
After someone came up my driveway and stole my F250, this is the best $50 I ever spent. Mounted high enough to not detect animals and have caught a few folks coming up my driveway at night. You can stick the sending unit anywhere (battery operated) - even inside your boat.

http://www.smarthome.com/7317/Reporter-Wireless-Driveway-Alert-System/p.aspx

I think you can also purchase these at Radio Shack.

You can spend a little more $$ and have these things turn on a carport light or lights in your house.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-09-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
Flood lights are better than continuous lights. They do two things. #1, they illuminate the area when someone gets too close. #2, they person who tripped them doesn't know for sure if it was a motion light or someone inside just turned the light on, and is about to come out. Additionally, a motion light changes the scenery around your house to the neighbors, and causes people to look at your house.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-09-2009, 4:13 PM Reply   
sit on your roof in a lawn chair with a shotgun:-)
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-09-2009, 5:26 PM Reply   
Strategically placed a few blade under my dash and bam some jack ars was cut good Sometimes it help to leave your truck unlocked so they don't break any window
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-09-2009, 8:17 PM Reply   
I had a buddy weld some fishhooks around the housing of his stereo on his landcruiser. He'd find flesh and laugh
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-09-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
AtTheLake - I bought one of those cameras. It will be her tomorrow.

Wade Longbrake - Motion flood lights installed.

Here to hoping...

I'll sleep light tonight I am sure but what are the odds right?

T
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-09-2009, 9:24 PM Reply   
Trevor,

Go get a gun and pull an all-nighter.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-09-2009, 9:38 PM Reply   
trevor,

lets get some beer and wait for robbers on your roof.lol
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-09-2009, 9:58 PM Reply   
Cody and Michael - sounds like fun! It is like hunting right?

Funny story that just happened. I recall last night around midnight hearing some motorized scooters going through the area. Sure enough, 15 minutes ago I hear the same scooters come through. I ran out side and see three teens cruising by. They slow two houses down, look at me and go around the corner. I go inside, get my key, hop in the truck and head out. They were stopped around the block and as I drove by slow they looked and me. I turned around and while doing so they head out the other direction. I follow. They bolt; running stop signs and traveling fast for scooters; 30mph. I follow them for a couple of miles, 10 mins or so, and note that one is wearing old school vans. Funny I think as the muddy foot print on on my seat in the boat is a classic waffle print of the van. Similar to the ones one of the kids is wearing.

Coincidence? Maybe but I am thinking I know who was messing with my stuff.

T
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-09-2009, 10:03 PM Reply   
Trevor, AWESOME recon work! I would have called the police the minute I realized they were even marginally evading me. You have a legitimate concern, and the police can atleast ask what they're doing in the area. I'm with you all, shotguns to the roof. Kind of ironic, as I'm sitting in my sun-room outside my backporch waiting to see what critter has been using my lifevests that are drying on the railing as a bed.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2009, 11:19 PM Reply   
Our 140lb. Rotty does the trick for us...even though he's the biggest teddy bear once he gets to know you. until then though...he has pretty mean look, bark and scowl...and I swear that kid can hear things a mile away...it actually gets annoying sometimes

Also, before DOG DUDE get's all crazy on me about why my Rotty is 140lbs is WAY out of standard/ideal weight for a Rotty, he's just a big massive kid and is a 'lean' 140lbs and not fat by any means, just got the genes to be HUGE...i guess???

I like Cody's 'all-nighter' and Michael's 'sniper' approach...