Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-13-2008, 10:19 PM Reply   
I just got this letter from Scott Dickens at Glass and Powder. Very sad news. For those of you that have been doing this internet wake thing as long as I have, you probably remember 10 years ago when Scott and his wife moved across the country to start their board shop. Scott got a ton of advice and help with the name from the wakeboarders on the Wake List (now I'm really dating myself). I'll miss seeing him at Expo every year. Hopefully, this will work out for the best for him, his wife and their partner.

Dear Friends of GNP,

I’m sorry to say that after 10 years in business, Glass & Powder Boardshop, Inc. has permanently
closed its doors and ceased operations. This decision does not come easily. We as owners have
invested a decade of time, effort, and money, as well as foregone salaries to make Glass & Powder
something special. We have poured our lives into the shop since 1998, in some cases sacrificing our
own health for the good of the company. In the end, adverse economic conditions, an unfortunate
corporate expansion and subsequent restructuring, and countless legal bills have depleted any
resources we once had, leaving us no choice other than cease operations.

Our customers, employees, friends, and reps all hold a special place with us. Glass & Powder has
always been focused on community, culture, and our ever-expanding G&P family. Our riders and
customers are people that we could relate to – people we would invite on a snowboarding trip, a day
on the lake, or an evening long boarding around the city. Simply put, like-minded friends! We still feel
an enormous connection to each of you, and I assure you that we will for many years to come.

It’s an emotional time, and I find it hard to put into words my appreciation and gratitude for the best
job anyone will ever have. Despite my paralyzing accident, I wouldn’t change what we’ve
accomplished over the past ten years. This is our “baby” and we had some great experiences
watching it grow and develop. We did some things extremely well and other things catastrophically
badly. Regardless of outcome, we always gave 110% with the same passion that drove us to start the
business to begin with. It’s discouraging to see it fade away.

We are deeply sorry to close our doors, and very sad personally. We value the relationships that we’ve
developed over the years, and hope that everyone will understand the toll taken upon each of us to
make this work. We have, since day one, done our absolute best to make this business a success.

I’m extremely proud to know and work with all of our employees…I simply couldn’t ask for a better
group of people. You guys are (and will always be) family. Stop by any time. In the end, we have to
move on now. Our glassandpowder.com email addresses will be good for a while, so please let us
hear from you.

GNP RIP.

Your friends,
Scott Dickens - President
Cara Dickens - Vice President
Sanford Appelman - Treasurer