Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old                01-23-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
I'm looking to get a nice digital camera (20d or XT). Unfortunately I don't know squat about photography. After reading posts on ww I see there is a lot to learn.
Do you have any suggestions on where to start? Should I try to find a class or are there any good books?
Thanks for your help. You guys have posted some amazing pictures on here.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-23-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
I would read some of the tutorials and definitions on www.dpreview.com. Browse the forums as well and you will learn a lot through other people's questions. Also, read "Understanding Exposure". It is a great book for any kind of photography, and it's very easy to follow.
Old     (wakeboarder27)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-23-2006, 11:47 AM Reply   
i have 20d, its great
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-23-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
I bought a camera and read the instruction manual. Anytime I didn't understand something, I would go online, do a google search, and read all I could about the subject in question. The internet is a great way to learn the nuts and bolts.

You also need to take the camera out and USE IT. Remember, you are not going to have National Geographic material with every shutter click. Take as many photos as you can afford to.

I have a 20D and a DRebel. Both are great cameras, but the 20D is much better for what I use it for. Sorry, no experience with the XT

Daniel
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-23-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
Jarret ~ That is a great book. I've read it and now I'm reading it again. Also check out some websites like www.fredmiranda.com . Great info all over the web.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-23-2006, 4:03 PM Reply   
if you dont know squat about photography then get the rebel xt. getting the 20D would be a waste of your money since you probably wont see a difference in image quality. no offense- just tryin to save you some money.

the 20D is only a better camera if you can make use of its more advanced features.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-23-2006, 5:26 PM Reply   
Antbug,

Another book of his "Learning to See Creatively" is excellent too.

I didn't care much for his latest: "Learning Digital Photography". He just went totally digital and he has some pretty crazy notions like shooting everything outdoors at 6500 WB and "don't waste your time with the histogram" type stuff. I didn't get much useful stuff from that one.

As far as the OP I'm not sure now is the best time to get a 20D unless you're getting a smoking deal on it, it's replacement will be out soon. The Nikon D200 really raised the bar in that price range and assuming Canon saw that coming they will undoubtedly pull their normal "800 lb gorilla" act in one-upping Nikon. The hot rumor is the "30D" (or whatever they will call it) will have 10.1 mp, 21 AF points (with AF using the 5D algorithms) and 7 fps. Better high ISO performance is considered a given since the D200 apparently isn't even anywhere near as good as the current 20D. Bigger LCD should be a given since the 2.5" is now std on the 5D and new 1 series, spot metering and a better VF would just be icing on the cake.
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-23-2006, 6:04 PM Reply   
Jarret or Ant Bug who is the author. I want to check out that Learning Digital Photography to see what this "shooting everything outdoors at 6500 WB and "don't waste your time with the histogram" type stuff." is all about

Just doesn't sound right or practical.
Old                01-24-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
Any recommendations on where to buy? I'm planning to wait till the 30d comes out in hopes the 20d prices get lower.
Just wanted to do some comparison shopping now.

Will the 20d be too much for a beginner? Besides lenses, anything else I should be looking for (software, memory cards...)?
Thanks for all the help.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-24-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
Bryan Peterson is the author od those 3 books.

As fas as where to buy onlune I always start with B&H and go with them unless there's a better deal elsewhere. Dell has these crazy sales with coupon discounts etc I've heard about but with them it sounds like you have to move fast. Occasionaly Dell will sell something at a ridiculously low price and then quickly pull it. They honor the prices though while it's there usually. Anyhow word hits the internet and everyone goes on their site looking for the killer deal which is usually gone by then. Yeh they're dumb alright "dumb like a fox".
Old                01-24-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
Anyone ever order from tcs camera? They have the 20d, body only, listed for $689 + $50shipping.

Seems really low? Most online places, including B&H, are around $1200.
What's the catch?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-24-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
I'm not sure what the catch would be but sometimes it can truly be "too good to be true". Be careful!
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-24-2006, 2:28 PM Reply   
Tcs is a scam company.

They may "sell" you the camera for 689. but no instruction manual, power cord, battery, neck strap, basically anything that is supposed to come in the box with the camera. Do a web search for them. Stick to the reputable ones on pricegrabber.com. Better yet, wait a bit and see what happens if/when the replacement is released. It may kill 20d inventory prices or might be something you'd like instead of the 20d. That's what I'm doint.
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-24-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
Thanks Rich.

I have had good luck with KEH.com. Usualy they have low prices after rebates. I say spend the extra $$ and pick up the 2gb card instead of the 1gb. It sucks the day you run out of memory but not photo ops.

Forgot adorama.com I think I got my 20D there.

(Message edited by mattyboyr6 on January 24, 2006)
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-25-2006, 1:45 PM Reply   
Ben,

I see you're in Indianapolis. Go support Roberts Imaging. They are a FANTASTIC pro-level camera shop... one of the best in the country, and right in your backyard. http://www.robertsimaging.com/ is their website. Support your local business..you'll pay a little bit more there, but can actually sit down with the cameras, and have someone explain WHY one or the other is better for what you want to do.

As far as online stores, always check www.resellerratings.com before making an online purchase. Check http://www.resellerratings.com/seller9193.html for information about TCS Camera. I personally buy everything at my local shop as building a relationship with them will be important should anything go wrong.

Mike Isler
www.islerphoto.com
Old     (whitewookie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2006, 3:38 PM Reply   
The 20D from TCS probably doesn't have the firmware software installed on the body. Canon and Nikon sell the software for like $1000.00.