Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (vince_trac)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-21-2007, 3:46 AM Reply   
Hello. I broke an insert on my 136 Premier. If you know how to repair it and where i can buy a new Insert,wich type of resin i have to buy and where, please tell me because the warranty period is finished. And i don't have the $ to buy a new one. Thanx a lot....
(Enjoy your Air-Time)
Old     (boarder33)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-21-2007, 6:01 AM Reply   
How old is the board? Those inserts shouldn't be coming out. Hyperlite should replace your board if it's not too old. Give your local shop a call.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-21-2007, 6:42 AM Reply   
The best repair method would be to use a very handy tool: WARRANTY. lol i've busted out numerous inserts trying to drift out roast beefs and catching and edge coming down. Hyperlite is good with warranties. Send er' in and you'll be taken care of.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-21-2007, 6:52 AM Reply   
He has mentioned that the warranty is out. According to his profile, he is also in France, which makes it expensive to get boards I presume.

I have tried fixing inserts with 2-part epoxy with zero success. It just doesn't want to bond to the foam. So while I don't have an answer for what works, I have an answer for one thing that doesn't work.
Old     (boarder33)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-21-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
Ya, everything has a warranty but some things are different. A company like Hyperlite doesn't want to see their boards out there with the slugs ripped out. They may make an exception. Worth asking.

For a fix, I wouldn't try any type of glue/epoxy on this one. That will rip out too easily given the minimal amount of surface area left for the glue/epoxy to grab onto. If this was my last board and I couldn't get another one for some reason... I would drill a hole through the board and put a domed head lag bolt through from the bottom. Wouldn't be perfect but if you countersunk the bolt head I'm sure you wouldn't feel a riding difference at all. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-21-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
You might be able to use a rivnut but would need alot of fiberglass across the top to distribute the load to the board. Definitely would not look good afterward with all the build-up but should hold if done properly as this is very similar to how they are built. Epoxy would definitely not be enough to distribute the load the binding would place on the insert. Something like the one on the top here
http://www.rivet-nut.com/Rivnut.asp
Old     (boarder33)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-21-2007, 9:18 AM Reply   
One of these from the bottom. Nut on top.

Upload
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       08-21-2007, 9:37 AM Reply   
Fill the hole with 2 part epoxy and then move your bindings to the next insert. It will change your stance a little but should not make that big of a difference in the ride.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-21-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
Never seen a successful repair of this problem.
I agree in punching up from the bottom of the board, as in Bert's example. Since you know your stance, my strategy for distributing the load would be to use multiple bolts.
In any case, start working odd jobs and saving for a new board, because this type of repair might last for a season or maybe only for one ride, you never know.

If the other inserts are OK, I might agree with moving the stance. I've solved the problem before by moving my stance, but on some boards if one insert goes bad then they all do.

(Message edited by dococ on August 21, 2007)
Old     (prestone)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-21-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
I actually this summer ripped out the inserts on my roam. i did the drill through the board thing and just used a big washer on bottom with a nut and it worked great. It doesnt affect the way the board rides at all even though there are 2 bolts sticking out the bottom of the board.
Old     (vince_trac)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-22-2007, 1:04 AM Reply   
I thank you all a lot for these advices.Hyperlite in france said that they can replace my board with a new one if i pay a portion of the price of a new board. I m not yet sure what to do because repairing seems to be quite hazardous and buying a new board costs a lot...However here it's been raining for the whole month so wakeboarding is impossible...Maybe i will wait a few month and then buy a new one. Thanx again...(What a great community i'm in)
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-22-2007, 6:40 AM Reply   
Ryan, I wouldnt want a board with bolts sticking out the bottom in my boat, but that's just me...
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-22-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
I used to use a T-Nut to remount snowboards, would work the same on a wakeboard. On a snowboard you can countersink the nut with a large drill but on a wakeboard I would just let it sit on the base of the board for additional holding power as they have a foam core and not wood like most snowboards. Upload