Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-28-2008, 7:22 PM Reply   
Do you do it? I always have as a safety precaution. Definitely will now even if it's just down the street a few miles.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-28-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
Would strapping the back really have prevented this? I am not saying it would or it wouldn't. At least part of me thinks that there would be too much momentum for two measley straps to stop my VLX from flying forward if I rammed into a light pole.
Old     (jesse1983)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-28-2008, 7:31 PM Reply   
rammed into a light pole.

Haha, I see what you did there. ;)

I've always used them even when only going about a mile from the hotel to the ramp.

Jesse
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-28-2008, 7:35 PM Reply   
Every time, 2 seconds of cheap insurance $.02
Old    walt            10-28-2008, 7:42 PM Reply   
You don't need them !
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-28-2008, 7:50 PM Reply   
i bet straps would have prevented this... not the bad driving, just the boat onto the bed of the truck
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-28-2008, 9:11 PM Reply   
It would be an interesting test for someone (myth busters) or these guys, once they get their rig fixed, to reenact the same accident but this time have transom straps.

there was a thread awhile back about transom straps. I always use them, but in an accident like this, your crap is probably going to get wrecked either way.
Old    alanp            10-28-2008, 9:24 PM Reply   
i remember that thread. i have never tied down the back of the boat
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-28-2008, 10:07 PM Reply   
I strap mine, not because I'm scared of hitting a pole and having my boat shoot up over truck. I do it becasue I have seen an x star bounce on a trailer.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-28-2008, 11:04 PM Reply   
I'm paranoid about what might happen... so I always use the tie-down straps. Every time these threads show-up, I'm always surprised at how many people say they tow without straps. In my eyes, the thought of going around a corner and hitting a bump/curb, having the boat bounce off... or getting in an accident with out the rear tied down... it's just not worth even risking it, especially when it takes all but 10 seconds per side.

I'd think that damage caused by a boat flying off its trailer because it wasn't tied down correctly would be an insurance nightmare....

Does anybody know if this can be or has been enforced -- as towing with an unsecured load?

(Message edited by phenom_1819 on October 28, 2008)
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-29-2008, 2:35 AM Reply   
I do it because when I went to test drive the boat I was following the guy to the ramp. He didn't have the back tied down and I could see the boat coming off the trailer at least 2 inches just bouncing around.
Old     (jujube)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-29-2008, 6:33 AM Reply   
As a safety precaution we always use the back straps.

Just don't forget to remove them before backing into the lake! :-)
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-29-2008, 7:03 AM Reply   
Haven't always done it, but my MB had built in ratchet (sp?) straps on the trailer so I always used them. Also had a slight "incident" when pulling the boat a few years ago and the boat shifted on the trailer without the straps. Had to find a place to put it in to get it back straight. Will always use them from now on.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-29-2008, 7:13 AM Reply   
don't know if this one was strapped downUpload
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-29-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
The straps will definitely help in some, but not all, situations. Obviously, if you hit something hard enough, you will be able to break the straps, trailer, hitch or any number of weak points in the chain. However, for lesser collisions they will provide some security.
Old     (cla10beck)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-29-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
I think in most cases they will not break. If enough force is applied they might snap, but in the process they would help to slow the boat down enough to prevent significant movement.

This is kind of the same idea of tethers on race car tires. Sometime they break, but in the process dissipate the energy and keep the tire close to the car.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-29-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
My main problem with strapping is the swim platform is right in the way. It seems the hooks would bind on the swim platform. Maybe if I used the swim platform brackets but that doesn't seem like a good idea either.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-29-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
Here in ontario Straps on a boat/trailer are mandatory.

Straps must be rated for the wieght of the boat.. aka two 2,500 lb straps. Also the trailer end of the snap needs to have a "snap" hook so in the event it gets loose it will not fall off.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-29-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
On my Prostar 205, the swimstep was mounted about 1/4" from the transom, and it was always a PITA to get the transom straps thru there. After I got all my weight dialed in, the swimstep was always several inches underwater. I went to Tap Plastics & bought some 4"x4"x15" plastic blocks, unbolted the swimstep from the brackets, got some longer bolts & put it all back together with the blocks in between........ and about 1/2" gap between the swimstep & the transom so I could use the straps easier, and the swimstep was up out of the water.

Prior to that I used motorcycle straps & went around the swimstep. It looked stupid. But after driving down West Lake Sammamish Pkwy behind numerous other guys towing their boats & seeing the boats bounce so high off the trailer I could see the truck under the boat, I thought it might be a good idea.

Years later we had an accident at the intersection at 40th. A guy pulling a boat up 40th, crossing traffic, & another car t-boned his Suburban. The boat was not strapped down & swung around & side slapped the car, landing on the pavement. Seems like if it had been strapped down, the bunks would have helped keep the boat in position.

The straps are supposed to be good for 5k lbs. So I imagine they would hold thru all but the worst accidents.

Any crash test dummies willing to test the theory?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-29-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
These threads are like a car crash. You cant help but look. People that want to defend NOT strapping down the boat should start their own Darwin Wakeboard club. I cant believe their are people still out there that think it's Bad to strap down your boat. I have to think they are seriously stupid or are trying to start a argument. IMO the only reason Not to strap down is because your #1 Lazy #2 Forgot. LOL
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-29-2008, 9:43 AM Reply   
The rear straps are mainly used to keep the boat from bouncing around on the trailer and from sliding backward, they are not designed to prevent the boat from flying forward. The main steel cable (not the winch strap), the steel cable that's either bolted or welded to the trailer, is the one that's specifically designed to prevent the boat from flying forward and out of the trailer. That steel cable should be connected to the bow eye each and every single time the boat is moved.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-29-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
^^^ and #3 TRIPPIN.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-29-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
Or #4 like I stated. It doesn't really seem feasible unless I did what Billy K said.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-29-2008, 12:12 PM Reply   
I have a PS205 and can't get the straps between the swim deck and the boat. I just put them around the swim deck and put a towel between the boat and the hook to keep the marks down. Works well. Especially when towing home one time last year the front bow strap broke and the only thing holding the boat on the trailer was my rear straps. Sure glad I ALWAYS strap the rear end down!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-29-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
If we're just pulling the boat 3 minutes to the ramp we don't use them, but for the long hauls on the highway we do.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-29-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
^^^I do the same.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-29-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
The straps are a really good idea.

They may have kept the boat in place in that first picture, but that is not the reason I would recommend transom straps.

Have you ever been behind a boat trailer where the boat was not strapped down when the rig hit a big pot hole in the road? Boat trailers don't have shocks so the boat gets bounced pretty hard. All it takes is to be in a slight turn when it bounces and the boat is moving sideways.

If you have the loading poles they may keep the boat in a good spot. Tell me, when you load the boat, do you make sure it is centered, or do you just load it anywhere between the poles and take off?

If the boat shifts and isn't sitting right on the trailer then it will travel the rest of the way loaded improperly.

If you don't have the guide poles, you could end up with the boat sitting on top of a fender. That could be very bad.

How often does the boat move?

Well, when I load my boat, I tie the transom straps in a cross pattern, right side of boat tied to left of trailer and vice-versa. If I loaded the boat a tiny bit off center I will tighten one strap and leave the opposite a little loose. When I get home, the boat is always sitting center, bot straps tight.

Even if your road is smooth the transom straps can make all the difference if you ever have to take evasive action. One time some idiot coming the other way on a two lane road drifted into my lane and I had to swerve onto the dirt shoulder. I almost lost the entire rig! The trailer was skidding sideways for a while, the side loads had to be intense.

Put the straps on. Cheap insurance.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-29-2008, 5:46 PM Reply   
I always do it, my dad always did it, once I was driving down the freeway in my commuter car next to a Malibu on a trailer and they hit a bump on the west side going down the Sunol Grade near milpitas and I saw all four trailer tires come off the ground next to me at 70mph, if there were no tie downs on there it may have been ugly, my brothers old jet boat didn't have eyelets on the trailer or boat for them and it always made me nervous driving it without any,the boat was fairly wedged between the fenderwells but still a little scary
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-30-2008, 11:49 AM Reply   
Straps are a good idea.

I too have followed boats on multiple occasions that bounce on the trailer even on smaller bumps. Keeps the trailer tight to the boat.

I have also jammed on the brakes to bring the boat forward so I know it moves.

Finally, I noticed my boat had shifted on the bunks after a short 10 miles without straps. Bet yours does too.

On a longer trip yes, around the corner, I'll take the chance.
Old     (kolibri)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-05-2008, 6:24 AM Reply   
Securely strap a boat on the trailer is the law and the law of responsability! Even for a one mile ride. If you have money for the boat, the gas, the boards and the beers, you have money to install a simple but strong strapping device. we strapdown on each side on the back, in the front, the winch is blocked and two last straps go from the front eye of the boat back on the chassis of the trailer on both sides. If you do not hesitate to test a full breacking manoevre with your train, then your boat is not strapped correctly...
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-05-2008, 6:37 AM Reply   
Just want to bring up my point one more time. I would love to be able to easily strap the back of my boat but I can't. If the manufacturer intended me to do so every time. Don't you think he would have made it possible to do without having to pull off the swim platform every time?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-05-2008, 6:56 AM Reply   
J,

Add a couple of u-bolts below the platform, I did on my first boat because it was tied down with a long strap going over the platform from side to side. It had a slight concave to it from years or this. Took about an hour, and the bolts should be readily available at most any marine store.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-05-2008, 7:03 AM Reply   
It'd be an easy ticket for a cop to write "failure to secure a load". I know a lot of people drink while on the river, so it'd be easy probable cause to see if you've been drinking.

secondly, I'm wondering about the insurance company saying "well, you didn't strap it down, so that means you were negligent, if you look to paragraph 11 of your policy, you'll find that we don't cover negligence...etc...etc...."
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-05-2008, 7:26 AM Reply   
Tigemike, good idea. I still don't see why the boat company wouldn't have done that in the first place if they intended for me to tie down the boat every time. I might try to do that or either what someone suggested above. When I raise the platform a little I will space it out just enough to make room for the hooks.