Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (ride_cwb)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-06-2006, 6:59 PM Reply   
so i own the boat its nothing nice but it works you know i own both the boards sweet ones at that. a cwb prodigy and a hyperlite belmont. the rope the homemade pole. basicly i sponser everything on the boat if the prop busts i buy a new one the stereo paid by me and now im getting jipped out of gas last year i paid for a full engine rebuild at least my bros could toss me a few bucks for gas i mean am i wrong theyre cool guys and chicks but seriously im going broke before college not to mention they broke my 04 parks bindings something thats gonna cost me another what 3 to 400 bucks wtf man does anyone else have this problem or am i the only one. i dont know that to do i wanna board but my crew is killing me.
Old    walt            08-06-2006, 7:07 PM Reply   
State Your case to your crew and if don't want to help out with gas find some other people to ride with.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-06-2006, 7:34 PM Reply   
Ask for gas money before they even come out, if they wont pay dont pull them.

You could simply put a post on wakeworld (or your regions) website and find a crew that knows about the ethics of being a third and you will likely have no more problems.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-06-2006, 7:37 PM Reply   
Since they're you're friends, I would just be straight up with them and tell them (nicely) that you can't keep paying for everything without them pitching in for gas. It's possible they're just not even thinking about it because they're so used to it.
Old     (kempogoju_ross)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-06-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
I had the same problem!!!! you will go broke!!! cut them off and find people who know what its like....lol

We should get together I'm not too far and I plan to meet other cool people also as I would like to ride more as I suck, but damn I'll go broke......lol

It helps if you can switch, your boat sometimes then another boat.....

ross81974@yahoo.com
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-06-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
sponge riders! they soke up all the water and dont give anything back unless they are sqweezed.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-06-2006, 9:19 PM Reply   
Just ask the crew if they blow you off no pull for them. If there your friends they will help out.
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-06-2006, 9:35 PM Reply   
I hit everyone up if they dont like it dont ride ;)... ive got a 60 k$ boat, fuel, boards, ropes, jackets, towing, camp fees, gas, ins.... havent had anyone compain yet ... had a couple yrs where I sold my boat and didnt have one ... the guys I rode with ...gave em$$ and went over to help wash thier boats.... if they dont kick in find new " friends " anyway gl w/ your decision
Old     (kempogoju_ross)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-06-2006, 9:36 PM Reply   
I can relate I finally scraped to buy a used 94 Malibu last season I was doing well with income last year so I was out every weekend but two the whole summer at 100.00 per day!!!!

Well this year I had to take a 25k pay cut!!!!!
I went through 4 props last year as the water levels were low and being new to the lakes.....lol

I bought two wake boards $$$
A bad ass kneeboard$$$
but in fat sacs$$$$
sound system $$$$
re uphostered the spotters seat as every would jump down into that seat!!!!!$$$$

I have one decent freind who loves the lake and he kicks in alot, so between me and him we must have spent 1000.00 in gas alone....lol

All my other buddies....I use this term sarcatically.......I asked if they could even bring some water or soda and they would bitch........they make more money than I do......lol

needless to say they all got cut off.....so hang in there and hook up with some local folks who know how expensive this sport is.......but its fun!!!!!

check out midwestwakeboarders.com
Old     (kempogoju_ross)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-06-2006, 9:39 PM Reply   
I would like to hear from people what an appropriate amount to kick in would be per time...

????
Old    walt            08-06-2006, 9:48 PM Reply   
Before gas went nuts I would say 10.00 a set is fair.

Now 15.00 a set unless your taking short sets.
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-06-2006, 9:51 PM Reply   
last trip i went on ( 6 days ) each familly (4)kicked in 120 $ ... which covered fuel +
Old    jolly_roger_wake            08-06-2006, 9:52 PM Reply   
when i'm not ridin behind my own boat, i pay from 5-15 dependin on how much i rode. if i take 3 good length runs, i don't hesitate to give the owner a $10.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-06-2006, 9:53 PM Reply   
i dont think realize what A PRIVLIDGE (ie $$$) IT IS TO RIDE BEHIND A SACKED OUT WAKEBAORDING BOAT...

unless it is someone i know or another boat owner (take turns on each other boat) at least $20-$30...
Old    walt            08-06-2006, 10:02 PM Reply   

quote:

i don't hesitate to give the owner a $10.

That might get you a pull after I drain the ballest.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-06-2006, 10:11 PM Reply   
Policy: we split gas costs on my boat.

Gas for the day $80; 4 people on the boat; $20 per person.

Exceptions are family and invited non-regular friends.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-06-2006, 10:14 PM Reply   
I typically assume 15 per set for a sacked boat; 10 for a non weighted boat.

Also try and use some punctuation Kevin. Its hard to read a post without periods or commas.
Old     (agfan12)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-06-2006, 10:26 PM Reply   
I typically try to figure in other costs and try to overpay if I can afford to at that point in time. Some people live right next to the lake, so I don't worry about the cost to tow, others live 30 min to an hour away, so I try to typically take that into consideration. Plus I always give at LEAST $20 (even if I take one set). Then I try to be the most courtious person on the boat, I drive, back the trailer, will be flag bitch, rope bitch, coach, whatever is asked or not asked. I think that even though I always give money, sometimes being a big help on the boat is more valuable to the owner, especially if you are with people who don't know what they are doing.

With that said, I'll be back in SoCal next week
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-06-2006, 10:40 PM Reply   
I just tell the guys that they aren't getting on the boat until I get some money. I had one friend bitch but as we about to pull the boat of the trailer he caved as he realized I wasn't playing about not letting him on the boat.
Old     (ride_cwb)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-06-2006, 11:32 PM Reply   
yeah all i ask is 5 bucks a person plus they all have jobs so i know they have money. Summers almost over though i'll see if i can make the change these last few weeks before college.
Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-07-2006, 3:02 AM Reply   
gas for truck to tow boat= $20
launch fee= $16
gas for boat per day= $60-$80
$$$$ for owning a boat= ridiculous

I get anywhere between $0-$50(if I'm lucky) from my riders. I end up paying a least 50% of the cost. Plus I'm making over half of what I use to be making. I love to ride but it's driving me to the poor house. I don't have a problem getting riders just getting enough money to cover the trip. I would be happy if each person gave me $20.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-07-2006, 3:45 AM Reply   
With today's gas prices, I usually contribute about $15 per set, which is a killer deal as far as I'm concerned. I'll get my taste of B.O.A.T. once I pick one up, but I've been around enough to know that boats are expensive to buy and maintain, so paying for gas is the least a rider can do.

Get some new friends, Kevin!
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-07-2006, 6:14 AM Reply   
$20. Plus willing to bring food, beverages, and always help clean the boat afterward. I can also back they trailer down if the need it (and if the ramp is fairly straight). And I'm taking little attempts at learning to drive the boat ... don't wanna kill anyone, but I want to be able to help out where I can!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-07-2006, 6:45 AM Reply   
In my younger years, I would just ask. If they did not help, no invite for the future. Get a shirt that says "My Boat Does Not Run On Thanks" and wear it next time everyone goes out. That should get the hint across. If not you need smarter friends.

Now I feel I'm in a position that I can afford it and I invite people that I enjoy being around without having to worry if anyone offers. Now I prefer someone help clean the boat after a day out than pay money.

Either way, if I dont like what my company is doing or not doing, they dont get invited back.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-07-2006, 6:54 AM Reply   
daniel touched upon some other really important points...knowing what, when and how to do something & treats the boat like it was their own, camera, food, drinks, help with the stereo etc..(also a good sense of humor ie fun)

having a another experienced driver is nice when the driver takes their turn to ride.

daniel is always welcomed on my boat (he took my profile pic)...when are mary & you coming down to san diego for riding and surfing ?
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-07-2006, 7:02 AM Reply   
Been there-done that. I cut the "team" and just posted here on WW in the "thirds" forum. The Team is much better today, and I am not sponsoring other adults anymore. Paying for complete setups, gas, launch fees, ropes, handles, insurance, pain and suffering for each and every mark that gets placed on my boat-because they will, nagging from the wife, chips on the trailer, is worth at least a something...
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-07-2006, 7:32 AM Reply   
Yo Daniel, with that attitude you sound like the ultimate 3rd.
Old    jolly_roger_wake            08-07-2006, 7:44 AM Reply   
boat size and ballast figure in big on the gas bill when i pay for my riding. if its a smaller boat with no ballast, i know its not chuggin as much as a slammed boat, and i adjust my payment accordingly. plus i'm more admant about getting invited back out with people who slam their boat and toss in a bit extra to let them know
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-07-2006, 8:00 AM Reply   
First few times out on the boat if I have invited them, its on me. But if you ask to come out, or become a regular, start payingup. I ussually collect 20$ per day per person. When im dad is paying for gas Im buying all the food and drink. It helps having 1 person give you gas money, then everyone else seems to get the idea.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       08-07-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
$20 and help with cleaning up the boat and sometimes providing snacks/beverages is what I kick down. Probably why I was frustrated to find that my own Dad left the Grandpa's boat without gas this past weekend.

I can't believe my own Dad broke the one lake cabin boat rule...if you use the boat, you must fill it up with gas before you leave the lake cabin. When we went out to the cabin to use it and it wouldn't start...we figured out that he left it without gas. Had to go in town to buy a gas can and gas to be able to have barely enough to get us to the marina to fill up. That's one b*@%h arse move Dad...not cool. And on top of it I had to pay for the gas he used and didn't have enough money to pay for us to go out that day. Besides, with all of that BS...ran out of time and had to get back into town. Better luck next time I guess.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       08-07-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
Easy on your dad, I am sure he has spent more money on you than you could ever dream about.
With my crew I dont have to ask usually they just offer. Sometimes I dont get anymoney and then the next time they will fill the boat up for me. It seems to work. There are always a few moochers but just make sure that they go with you to the gas station and know how much you are spending. If they see you drop $$$ on gas and dont offer to chip in 10 bucs then let them stay home.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-07-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
It is a pain that boat owners even have to ask isn't it? I believe if you are a first timer or a one-timer and i invite you the gas money is my responsibility. However, If you are part of the regular crew and enjoy going to the lake/riding then you should contribute to the gas fund (at the very least). You should also bring your own beverages (no red wine) and food (no cheetos).

Maybe you should pull up to the pump with an empty tank in the boat and wait for someone else to start pumping gas. It may get a little uncomfortable for a minute or two... when they have to reach for their wallet/Credit Card and the pump gets to the $100 mark and it is still going maybe they will get the idea. Do you think that person will ask others in your crew to chip in at that $100 point? From the picture you painted I doubt that one person in your crew will take the $100+ hit on fuel, why should you? If you want to make a nonverbal statement someone elses pocketbook is sometimes the best way!

Thanks for posting this, it reminds me i have to pay my boat storage fee today ($760)! And my insurance is due next week along with the boat payment ($400) I might as well send that payment. I should add that the trailer could use some new tires ($230) now that i fixed the trailer fenders ($50). The stereo upgrade/battery/isolator/relays sounds really good also ($600) i just have to finish installing the other remote and the preamp ($150)). The ballast upgrade (used sacs and new pumps $600) should be done next week if i get the parts in via UPS by Friday. I almost forgot i need to get new tags for the boat and trailer ($130) since they expire at the end of September.

I hope i have enough left over for gas money...

(Message edited by BIZ on August 07, 2006)
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       08-07-2006, 11:11 AM Reply   
Great post TR, It all adds up.
Old     (kempogoju_ross)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-07-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
I'll go on record to say as a boat owner I thought 20.00 is the number. Granted first timers don't count..etc

regulars and crew, at least 20.00 per person no matter what your doing......lol

I have got to the point so many ladies want to come I charge them also.......lol even if they just want to do nothing but make me look like a pimp.....LOL

Of course they get a pass if they show some love to me or my crew.
Old     (bdaddy)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-07-2006, 12:47 PM Reply   
I had a first timer insist on filling my tank this last weekend before we went out. I couldn't believe it! But I agree with TR...gas is just the tip of the iceberg.
Old    redneckonaboard06            08-07-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
Man I know exactly how you feel. Folks just don't realize how expensive it is to operate a boat, even just for a day on the lake. I just love how they show up expecting to ride or if they find out I'm heading up to the lake, they assume they can go and show up and bring other folks with them. If I invite someone to come with me, I don't expect anything but a thanks for letting me hang out. I love how they want to go ride around the lake instead of just chilling in the cove, but yet they don't throw a dime my way for gas either for the boat or the tow rig, and that's the most expensive part of my weekends (gas for the tow rig). You know who the only one to ever ask to help clean the boat, my old room mate and my girl friend. Hell just make an offer! Man it just irks me thinking about it. Just yesterday some friends showed up and didn't bring a lick of food or drink and damn sure didn't open their pockets, all they did was bitch about wanting to leave after only being out for about 5 hours. Hell they could have offered to buy my lunch that they just had to have at this one resturant. When I go up for the weekends, I don't ask for gas money, I tell my crew to supply the food and drinks. My old room mate that I mentioned earlier, hell he pitched in and gave a nice amp that he had for the system I'm putting together and another has helped me with my light bar and a couple speaker boxes. I told two "supposed friends" that yesterday was the last time they'll be on my boat. Drink our drinks, leave their trash in the boat and then use the shower at our trailer house and leave w/ a measely thank you and they bounced quickly.

Hell I'll throw this in here and this was just basically a day trip and the boat didn't need gas. This was between my g/f and I. The friend that I invited brough beer and snacks, plus bought two cheapie orange life jackets that he told me to keep!!

Truck gas $60 (didn't even fill it up and it was empty by the time I got home)
Beer and other misc. drinks $76
Dinner that night $25
Lunch $20
Snacks $20.
Day use fee for two days $6

Damn I'm broke again, but I had a blast!

(Message edited by redneckonaboard06 on August 07, 2006)
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-07-2006, 2:48 PM Reply   
I try to throw down at least $30, just to factor in the extra expenses because my parents own a boat and I have been able to see firsthand how expensive it all is. That being said, I am a college student and I fit perfectly into the whole "broke college kid" stereotype, so today my buddy asked me if I wanted to head out and I told him all I have is $20, but since he knows I have always been a good third, and sometimes the only one throwing down on gas and launch fees, etc. he said that would be chill. Karma goes a long way... Oh and I always bring drinks/food etc.
Old     (tarkus70)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-07-2006, 4:14 PM Reply   
I was a boat whore for many years. I paid for gas would help pay spring expences,run for parts,clean after each trip. I was a good whore,now that I have owned my own boat for a few years I see how tough it is to get people to pay for anything I even had one guy complain the the "boat board" was not good enough for him??? so he no longer gets an invite. I have riders who I only see during boating season and all they want to do is board they chip in for everything and sometimes buy dinner at the end of the day. I have had people buy their own boards one guy moved away and told me to keep the board. Just my $0.02
Old    bigrich            08-07-2006, 4:33 PM Reply   
Guest board not good enough?? Pull out the skurfer and see what kind of reaction you get. LOL
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-07-2006, 7:48 PM Reply   
This subject comes up from time to time and after owning a boat\boats for a few years this is my take on it.

As a boat owner you are going to pick up 50% of the tab for gas every time you take you boat out(not including maintance,storage,payments,etc) those things you agreed on when you bought the boat so it has nothing to do with "the moochers".Some pride goes into owning a boat and THAT'S IT!!
Suggestion:

Make sure your sh*t is clean,wipe-on wipe-off!!
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-07-2006, 7:54 PM Reply   
First of all it depends on the situation.People who never been on a boat dont know to chip in.I always tell everyone before they come out their going to have to chip in.I normally take 20$ from everyone.Its a little cheap but I do pretty well and dont mind only 20$ per person.If girls come out I just have them bring food and drinks because they dont really ride.The girls that do ride know to chip in.I tend to keep good company so Ive never really had a problem.Especially now people should chip in more because of gas prices.Also if they use your equipment.I normally dont let people ride w/me if they dont have their own stuff.Lets face it the equipment is expensive.It just depends on your situation but it should be made clear to every person on the boat that they need to chip in.
Old     (agfan12)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-07-2006, 8:06 PM Reply   
Why don't you try sending a link to this out to your "crew"/"moochers"?

Mike, Thanks I appreciate it. Labor Day weekend is realistically the first chance we'll have to ride/surf... and neither of us have class on Fridays

S Dub, thanks...I will admit that I do have the advantage of growing up around the water and boats. I'm lucky enough that in Dallas (where I'm from) all the lakes are close, and ride with a great crew so I can ride alot. I'm not so lucky that I go to school in Los Angeles and Drive an SUV. I wouldn't be surprised if I spend as much as the boat owner when I finally save up enough to go ride somewhere in SoCal. When I ride it takes me a full tank of gas to get to any decent lakes, Plus money to ride, plus money to get on the lake and/or park, plus drinks, plus food for me for the day..., but it's worth it for good company and to meet new good people.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-07-2006, 9:01 PM Reply   
I have a Gas contribution zippered wallet on the dash. Everyone is aware they are expected to contribute or they will not ride. Gas is the least guests can do, we as owners as stated handle everything else. Also I tell people to bring their own beverages and food, I never offer my own stuff even if they forget theirs as that is the only way to teach them.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-07-2006, 10:45 PM Reply   
Keep them as your clubbin, drinking, and party buddies and find new WakeWorld friends for riding!
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-08-2006, 12:36 AM Reply   
daniel,

i would prefer not to send this out to "moochers" since i dont invite them or i will find a excuse if they should ask...those people i want to go out with - i will repeatedly ask (like now) and really try to impress on them they are always welcome to go out, have fun and treat it like it is their own boat.

let me know when it is good for mary and to ride wether it is a day or weekend. in the meantime, we are going to be checking out vail lake if you can make it...
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-08-2006, 6:09 AM Reply   
Kevin...I had the same issue with my crew, and one is family and the others are really good friends, all younger that don't make a ton of money, so I spotted them some pulls for a while, because I invited them all, taught them to ride and got them hooked. The Book DVD set sort of bailed me out of getting to the point to where I had to start asking them to kick out. They wanted to borrow it and learn more about riding, and driving the boat for me, so as soon as they watched the boat portion...they all came to me and apologized, saying they had so much fun, it didn't even dawn on them to chip in some $. Since then it's never really been a problem. I had a cousin who lost his job and had no cash to spare for a while, but I still took him every week and gave him pulls, and he helped me out a ton at home....mowing the lawn, feeding horses, etc. I would hope in that situation, everyone would hook their bros up so they can at least keep the stoke of riding while they're on hard times....and hope they'd do the same for me.

A real moocher to me is the guy who shows up at the lake calling your cell to come to the dock and pick him up, drinks your beer, eats your food, rides, and never contributes a dime. If one of my crew told me they wanted to come but didn't have a lot of extra money....an 18 pack for me and the rest of the boys will work fine that weekend!