Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-22-2013, 5:13 PM Reply   
Can anyone tell me how many inches can be safely gained by letting air out of the trailer tires? I'm about 2.5-3 inches away from getting the boat into winter storage. I don't think I can gain very much from a drop hitch because the high point is not very far in front of the dual axles. Anyone know how to tell when you need to stop deflating the tires to keep them from coming off the rims?
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-22-2013, 5:25 PM Reply   
Buy some old dirty rims without tires, swap them and back it in. Might want to protect your floor if it's something fancy.

3 inches seems like a lot to flatten a tire
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-22-2013, 5:30 PM Reply   
If you have a dual axle trailer, pull the tires off one axle (make sure you keep it connected to the tow vehicle). The extra weight on one axle might compress the springs and tire enough.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-22-2013, 5:34 PM Reply   
I let mine down to 10 psi.. just the back axle.. once the led tower anchor light cleared... the front axle was ok.. But once in, you need to jack the trailer and put jackstands under the back axle.. you don't want the weight sitting on the under inflated tires.. Did this once a week for a while..
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-22-2013, 8:20 PM Reply   
Three inches and you run some risk of a bead coming loose on a rim That will make getting air back in tough.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-22-2013, 8:28 PM Reply   
I usually just fill all my ballast bags, makes the trailer squat down enough to get it in.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-22-2013, 10:35 PM Reply   
I have to deflate and inflate every time I get in and out of my garage. 3 inches is easy if you have the right tires. You didn't mention what size you have or if you have to make a turn once in. If you have low profile tires, not going to work. I have 14 inch tires and I can't remember the size tires. I make sure once I clear the door that I inflate the tires again. I wait until I get in or out before making my turn.
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       09-23-2013, 12:46 PM Reply   
If you have 18's.. maybe an 1 to 1.5 inches. Otherwise I would be very careful not to damage the tires.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-23-2013, 1:01 PM Reply   
3 inches seems like a lot to be without worrying about damaging the tire or breaking the bead.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       09-25-2013, 8:05 AM Reply   
Yeah, what size are your tires? if they're the typical 14's or 15's then you could certainly go down to 10psi without throwing a bead. Also the idea of getting some smaller diameter wheels is an idea.

A cool implementation would be to swap in airbag suspension to your trailer!!! (yeah, not practical price wise though)
Old     (broncofan)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-26-2013, 2:39 PM Reply   
I did the one tire an axle thing and it worked great to get my boat in the garage. Worked great
Old     (scott)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-01-2013, 9:37 PM Reply   
I had the same problem! If there is a handle on the roll up door! Take it off. My tower barely scrapes the rubber now. I did let air out of the tire, but it takes way to much to get any change in height.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-03-2013, 1:26 PM Reply   
there is no way that letting the air out of your tires on a 14-15 inch rim will give you 3 inches of clearance without seriously jeopardizing the integrity of your tires, their sidewalls and the bead on the rim. they make a tongue jack that is electric and you can walk the trailer in- it would allow you to let the bow down almost to the ground- that still may not get you 3 inches- but it's a lot safer for your trailer than letting the air out. if it's a long-term problem, you may want to look at a lower profile trailer.