Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       05-30-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
Are they compatable? Will they plate still have full movement? Deciding against selling my 2001 DD Launch and would like to "pimp" it out a little.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-30-2007, 4:02 PM Reply   
If they don't make one already. They will custom make one for you. They made one for my friend and he said the guy that makes them is easy to deal with.
Old     (raider_pro_v)      Join Date: May 2007       05-30-2007, 4:19 PM Reply   
Aaron is correct. Larry Mann at FAE (512-647-7321) is extremely pleasant to work with. He custom made one for my 05 Calabria Pro V with the electric wake plate. It did not compromise the the plate movement at all. Basically, he will send you some exhaust tip modifiers that send the exhaust up over the plate, so if you have the plate all the way up it still will clear by a couple inches. I have had mine on for over two years and I could not be happier. We are installing one at our shop this week, when I get a chance I will shot some photos so you can see what I mean.
Old     (riverdave)      Join Date: May 2007       05-30-2007, 4:20 PM Reply   
Fresh Air Exhaust?

RD

(Message edited by riverdave on May 30, 2007)
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-30-2007, 4:29 PM Reply   
Dave it send the exhaust down into the water so you get less fumes for surfing plus they are alot quieter.
Link to website...
http://www.freshairexhaust.com/
Old     (riverdave)      Join Date: May 2007       05-30-2007, 4:40 PM Reply   
That think is kinda neat!

Obviously from coming from the other side of the Spectrum, I can't hardly believe that you guys would consider any wakeboard boat or tourney boat loud.. LOL But I guess if you needed it to be quieter that's one way of doing it.

I'm baffled at how it reduces CO2 levels on the swim platform itself though. Typical exhaust on a wakeboard boat exits underneath the platform. This does the same thing, just redirects and puts it a little deeper in the water? I would think the exhaust gas (as evident by there video) would just bubble up and through the swim platform the same as it would normally?

Incidentally, it also looks like a pretty sizeable restriction on your exahaust? That's gotta have an effect on fuel economy and performance? Albeit I think most new boats have mufflers on them from the factory which probably isn't helping your cause much.

RD

(Message edited by riverdave on May 30, 2007)
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-30-2007, 6:01 PM Reply   
Do a search for FAE on WW. There were some pictures of one on a Supra over the winter.

Dave it's CO that it affects, not CO2. I don't know why it works either but it could just be longer contact with oxygenated water that fixes the CO into CO2. As an aside, I've watched dyno runs of a 650 Hp 350 cid Chevy race engine that had improvements in power each with three different exhaust setups. Originally built and tuned for headers and 5"straight pipes it picked up with a 5" Flowmaster and ran much quieter. (25dB) It picked up again with a 5" Ultraflow and ran a bit quiter yet. (3dB)
Old     (danimal)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-31-2007, 6:04 AM Reply   
Hey Ryan- Just did an install on an 02 DD Launch with the manual wakeplate. Great product. Great customer service. Larry was there on a Sunday afternoon to answer my questions which is unheard of these days. Kept me from pulling my hair out, honestly.

Now the not so good: Directions were pretty generic. With the number of boats out there and the number of variations within each model and model year it would be a huge task to come up with specific directions for each scenario. So be prepared to throw the directions out the window and ad lib. Which means, you better be pretty handy if your going to do this yourself.
If you do get it and have the manual wakeplate, request the straight exhaust flanges. The angled ones were designed for the hydraulic plate and ended causing all kinds of grief.

Shoot me an email when you get it and I'll walk you through the list of issues I ran into.

Dan
Old     (svguy)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-31-2007, 10:19 AM Reply   
Here is a link to the pictures with the wakeplate:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/366235.html

It doesn't impede the wakeplate at all.

In response to questions about CO reduction, If you are just idling, then it does nothing to reduce CO levels. The CO will bubble up through the swim platform. However, at any non-negligible speed (like surfing speed), the CO gets caught up in the prop wash and bubbles out over time (after the boat has passed).

I haven't noticed any loss of performance. Perhaps I lose 1/2 mph at the top end but I rarely run there anyway. The sound reduction is very noticable.
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-31-2007, 11:08 AM Reply   
There are a ton of Tiges out there with them. I F'n LOVE mine. The reduction in exhaust fumes is the chit. You don't even know untill you put one on. Worth every penny. I miss the sound of my finely tuned SBC, but I wouldn't ever own a wakeboat without one. It will absolutely work with the plate. Here's a pic of one of the new polished ones. Not mine.
Upload
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-31-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
Is there any affect on the handling?
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       05-31-2007, 11:44 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, the polished one looks sweet.
Old     (svguy)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-31-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
Bazel,

You won't even know it's there....except for the reduced sound.