Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-08-2005, 1:22 PM Reply   
Alright I'm now getting ready to move at the end of the year and I have narrowed it down to 2 choices NAS Whidbey Island or NAS Lemoore.. I am looking at everything but need help with the pros and cons for wakeboarding, I know there are lakes by each (no rivers by Lemoore). I need peoples opinion from each area if possible. I love the fact WA is cheaper to live, but seems CA has better WB weather? Also WA gas prices??

(Message edited by ghostrider_2 on April 08, 2005)
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-08-2005, 2:54 PM Reply   
One word about WA - RAIN
Let me say it one more time... RAIN
Don't get me wrong, WA is a beautiful state, however, after moving to CA, I could never go back.
No offense... just 2 cents
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-08-2005, 4:00 PM Reply   
did the research and it rains 20-21 inches a year there by whidbey and the same here in sac...
seattle on the other hand RAIN! 44+ a year

(Message edited by ghostrider_2 on April 08, 2005)
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       04-08-2005, 4:30 PM Reply   
That's a tough call, I think they both equally suck. Yeah, it's going to rain in WA, but there's nothing to do in Lemoore. Tough call, why don't you try to get something in San Diego, there's still some left?

-Blake
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-08-2005, 6:27 PM Reply   
Yes,

Fatsac is correct. It rains every day here, stay away. The lakes are horrible, and the people smell funny.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-08-2005, 6:33 PM Reply   
SD is way to expensive for me to buy the house I want (3000sqft) plus a little property to build on (custom garage for the boat)..
To crowded and way 2 much traffic. plus my brother in law said good water is hard to find..

I've done 5 years in Lemoore so ya I know there is nothing to do, but the lakes shouldnt be 2 crowded and its not as expensive as sac.. but I have never used any lakes done there. I hate this decision, bigger house in WA (but less riding season?) smaller house but better weather in Lemoore and better water?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-08-2005, 6:34 PM Reply   
what are the gas prices in WA?
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-08-2005, 10:02 PM Reply   
well, I'm in Longview, WA and it's now 2.40 somethin around everywhere for regular, but I did even see 2.55 at one place. I would like to add though that eventhough there is the rain in the winter, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. SoCal is way too crowded, all of Cali is way too expensive, there is no dense forest greenery like there is here. I mean, yeah there are places in California that are really pretty, but nothing compared to some of the places in Washington. Plus, even with the rain, we still have great water from late March until the end of October, just like everywhere else. All it takes is a dry suit, or a wetsuit and some guts to ride year round.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-09-2005, 4:47 AM Reply   
do you need a suit in the summer riding months?
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-09-2005, 10:13 AM Reply   
Tough call, I grew up in Central Calif and moved up here to Wash,I missed the sunshine and the extreme heat 100+ degrees. And I really hated the rain here and not seeing sunshine for 90 days in a row. If there was a sun break for 10 minutes I would look up and stare at it till my eyes watered and I said to myself well I got my sunfill for the week... But now when I go to Calif I hate the heat,I hate how ugly central Cal is (not the coast) and would never move back. But the water is really cold here.Also forget about your yearly tan. Good luck. My 03 cents.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-09-2005, 11:29 AM Reply   
I dont know bout giving up my tan cause I am really white otherwise

(Message edited by ghostrider 2 on April 09, 2005)
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-10-2005, 12:27 AM Reply   
During the summer no you do not need a suit. during the spring and late fall, yes I would advise a suit, at least a shorty. But during the summer, the water is cool and refreshing, but not frigid cold or bathwater hot like Shasta or Powell. Getting a tan is not hard in the summer either. I tan pretty easily though. I like the more temperate summer season too. yeah, you'll get 3 or 5 days that are 100 degrees plus, but most of the time it's only upper 80s or low 90s, which I find to be perfect.
Old     (chvywkbrdrmc205)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-10-2005, 12:56 AM Reply   
I love the warmer weather, and CA more than WA, but, no offense in anyone in Lemoore, but that place sucks. I've had soccer tournaments there every year for a couple days and i cant wait to leave.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       04-10-2005, 10:06 AM Reply   
Kenny,

What do you do? I'm in the process of looking for orders, and it seems coincidental that I'll probably be making the same choice you are... Lemoore or Whidbey.

-Blake
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-10-2005, 10:36 AM Reply   
I am a AME1(AW) currently finshing a 5 year tour as a recruiter/recruiter-in charge here in my home town of sacramento. I've been offered norfolk - NO THANKS! .. Whidbey Island, Lemoore (I've done 5years there already) or Japan - NO THANKS I dopnt want to have to sell everything.. What do you do?

I didnt know it got that warm in Whidbey (around big lake etc.) I wouldnt mind losing the extreme heat for 80-90's up there..

(Message edited by ghostrider_2 on April 10, 2005)
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       04-10-2005, 1:05 PM Reply   
Oh, you're an AMEasy, huh? That's cool, I'm an AM, working on the nastiest looking bird in the military, the S-3. My rotation to sea duty rolls around in November, so I too am currently looking for orders... But, as I'm sure you've noticed... There isn't anything worth going for. I'm hoping that something shows up here pretty quick, or I'll be joing you in either, Whidbey or Lemoore... Keep your fingers crossed, and those head knockers down!

-Blake

(Message edited by blake_hughes on April 10, 2005)
Old    260searay            04-10-2005, 2:16 PM Reply   
Here in ohio we have 70's in the summer with rain and wind..........lots of wind
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-10-2005, 3:49 PM Reply   
I used to live in Ohio I remember the hot/humid A$$ summers!, I was just visiting family 2 years ago in August and couldn't wait to get back to the CA weather, its 2 freakin humid in the summer!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-10-2005, 3:52 PM Reply   
S-3 blah! NOT for me, F/A 18's are easy and cool to work on, Lemoore is not for a single person though! Great for family - NO crime,cheap coat of living, easy winters, HOT A$$ summers, nothing to do around but everyhing is just a short trip away! AM what?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-10-2005, 8:24 PM Reply   
does it rain alot (everyday) during the summer months?
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-10-2005, 8:51 PM Reply   
no, rarely at all during the summer. maybe 5 to 8 days the entire summer season. but the winter is a totally different story.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-10-2005, 9:17 PM Reply   
sweet winter I want ot be on the mountain boarding! When would you say the rain seaon slows and starts? How shallow is Big Lake? any other lakes close and /or good river?
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-10-2005, 9:24 PM Reply   
I'd say crappy weather starts to show up in mid-late october, but once november hits, you better have a jacket. Snowboarding here is better than anywhere else I think. As far as nice lakes around that area, I'm not too sure. Maps do show there are quite a few lakes around there.

(Message edited by nlitworld on April 10, 2005)
Old    wake_northwest            04-13-2005, 11:25 PM Reply   
Just letting everyone know about the new Northwest specific wakeboarding and wakeskating site at www.WakeboardNorthwest.com. Check it out and help us to make it grow. We are focused on the Northwest wake scene. Join our forums to meet riders and enthusiests close to you today.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       04-14-2005, 5:48 AM Reply   
I'm a 3rd class right now, I just took the 2nd class exam for the 1st time... Hopefully that works out.

-Blake
Old    h60swimmer            04-17-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
Hey Kenny I'm in the Navy too but I'm in Maryland I was in San Dog for 5 years...If you are into wakeboarding I'd go to Lemoore...I grew up in Coalinga which is 30 mins from there...The area is not that great but you are a close drive to everything...you got the coast about an hour away the mt.s about an hour away...and for wakeboarding you have mendota slew, pine flat and plenty of others if you don't mind alittle drive...