Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-07-2003, 8:29 AM Reply   
I have an '87 Tristar with a 351. Floats are adjusted correctly. Idle screw is set to idle at 1000. Air mixture screws are correct. When I first start the boat, it idles at 1000. If I run it for a bit at 35+ mph, then stop, it idles at 1800 in neutral. If I turn it off and re-start it, it drops to about 1400.
If I start it up and run it at wakeboarding speed, it isn't as pronounced. The idle goes up to about 12 or 13 hundred.
I was thinking air leak, so I replaced the base gaskets on the carb and spacer. No difference.
Anybody have any idea's????
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-07-2003, 11:28 AM Reply   
cable not adjusted properly?
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-07-2003, 12:27 PM Reply   
No, the cable is fine..... in fact, once it's idling at 1800, I can unscrew the throttle adjust screw all the way out and it stays at 1800. If I do that, though, I would have to adjust it back down the next time I start it, otherwise the motor won't stay running. So then I adjust it to 1000 again, run it, and it goes up. Weird.
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-07-2003, 1:55 PM Reply   
I have a the same problem to a lesser degree. If I rev up to 3k or so mine will idle up to 1100. It normally idles about 600. When it is that high it goes into gear very hard. When I turn it off for a few seconds it will return to normal. It is a very strange thing. Any help would be appreciated.
Old    skihardkore            07-07-2003, 2:13 PM Reply   
hmm, i dont know alot about your motor, but a thought just occured to me. If it has a butterfly valve to control the air intake amount, it could possibly be stuck, allowing the motor to bring in as much air as it wants on idle and spinning it up.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-08-2003, 5:33 AM Reply   
When I look down into the carb, the valves seem the same either way.
Old    leggester            07-08-2003, 6:02 AM Reply   
Perhaps timing needs adjustment? Maybe the chain has stretched a bit.

I'd gie it a regular tune up. You may have a bad vacuum advance. Also, I'd guess' with that year you have a distributer? If so, make sure the spindle is tight.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-08-2003, 6:26 AM Reply   
How would I check the vacuum advance? I'm not sure what that is. Is there a test that would prove/disprove that?
Old    leggester            07-08-2003, 7:46 AM Reply   
IIRC, on a Ford there's a vacuum tube connected to the distributer. Take it out and plug it with a golf tee. Run your engine around and it should get more ragged the faster you run it.

If you do it in the drive way, you should feel some suction in the tube. ( placing your thumb over it ).

Do you have the Chilton's manual for the motor/boat? They usually describe most of the tune up tests/specs.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-08-2003, 9:05 AM Reply   
First off all adjustments other than choke are done with the engine hot. Now when it is acting up grab the throttle plates and push them against the stop, did the idle go down? You can spray the linkage with a lubricant to help it move smoothly. Timing can cause this problem also, but it is going to be harder to check, as you will need a timing light. After checking the vacuum advance, check the base idle timing and make a note of it. Then with the engine acting up check it again. If the weights inside stick it can cause a high idle, that will go away if you shut the motor down, hence resetting the weights.

New points and condenser can never hurt that motor if you do need to go in and clean the distributor weights. Be careful not to stretch the springs on the weights. Usually there is a screw right on top of the distributer or a C-clip.

If you still need help let us know which carb it has and what kind of distributer (points or?). Good luck!
Old    jmccallum            07-08-2003, 10:15 AM Reply   
what's best place for manuals online?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-08-2003, 10:32 AM Reply   
http://www.skidim.com
They should have one for your boat.
Old    leggester            07-08-2003, 11:10 AM Reply   
Chilton's also has some online manuals.

I'd suggesta google search like: 1987 Tristar manuals, online.

Also, for just the motor: www.cybrrpartspro.com

Good luck.

(Message edited by leggester on July 08, 2003)
Old    neal_b            07-08-2003, 7:00 PM Reply   
If you have a 4 barrell carb. be sure to make sure the rear secondary butterflys are shut completly. I have seen them stuck open just a little bit and cause increased idle. Neal
Old    6more            07-09-2003, 6:47 AM Reply   
This isn't going to help solve your problem, but when you do get it fixed, you idle should only be 600-700 out of gear, not 1000. You are tearing your transmission apart slowly if you are dropping into gear at 1000 RPMs.