Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-25-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
This SUCKS!

From an e-mail I received....

Weekday Closure to Begin October 1

Starting October 1, 2007 through April 30, 2008, San Vicente Reservoir will be closed on weekdays due to Emergency Storage Project construction activities.

For the month of October, only water contact activities will be allowed on the reservoir on Saturdays and Sundays.

The city of San Diego's winter schedule will begin November 1, 2007, which allows fishing activities only on Saturdays and Sundays.

The reservoir will be closed for construction based on the following schedule:

The reservoir will reopen to recreation sometime between 2014 and 2017, as soon as the water level reaches the new boat launch.

For more information about the construction projects at San Vicente, go to www.sdcwa.org. If you have any questions about the projects, please call the toll-free project information line at (877) 426-2010 or email us at espinfo@sdcwa.org.

Can't get the schedule graph to paste, but it basically says the lake will be open weekends ONLY, starting Oct 1st. Water contact only - no fishing Oct 1 through Oct 31. After that,Nov 1st through April 2008, it will be open weekends only, for FISHING ONLY - no water contact!. Aaahhhhh!

In April, it *may* go back to another schedule where it will be available on some weekdays, but I really don't see this happening. Last time I spoke to the water authority, they said that in 2008, as long as the water is up to the ramp, we should have the normal schedule. They said tentatively that they will begin to drain the water possibly sometime in May 2008. Once the water gets below the ramp, they will close the lake completely.

This all means that everyone in the county will have only 1 lake (El Capitan) to use for water contact activities. San Vicente has a limit of 100 boats, El Cap's limit is 35 boats. Now all the people that have used San V will be heading to El Cap for one of the 35 spots. I can see that working real good!

Time to move the hell out of this water activity-unfriendly county!

Sorry for venting. Just sucks a$$!

I can e-mail the complete e-mail if someone wants to see it.}}
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-25-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
somehow I knew you would post this.

Time to enjoy the lovely Mission Bay or head to the river, Canyon Lake, Elsi, Perris or Vail isnt it Buzz.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-25-2007, 1:19 PM Reply   
Ha! Like I/we have much of a choice. Guess so! Time for a river trip. Just spoiled having a nice lake so close. Also just sad that a recreational/tourist/great climate city like SD has to have so few lakes to use. Hate to put my Bu in the salt water, but may have to once in a while.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-25-2007, 1:43 PM Reply   
Time to move to the Delta. :-)
Old     (malibukid)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-25-2007, 2:11 PM Reply   
Vail is closed too...darn.
Old     (rothy)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-25-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
just read that email myself
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-25-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
Vail Lake is closing? Permenantly or temporarily?
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-26-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
1-2 years. Not like the 7 of San Vicente.

I'll put my boat in Mission Bay if you will Buzz. We'll take turns. Cover our trailers with WD 40, like thats gonna help.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-26-2007, 10:32 AM Reply   
I put mine in Mission Bay last weekend for 3 days. I work at the Thunderboat races each year. That is about the only time it hits the salt. Spent about 6 hours Monday cleaning every inch just to get rid of any salt remains. Just can't do that all the time. Who knows. Maybe occasionally. Might have to. Personally, I have never been a fan of Elsinore. I know there are times you can get some good water, but every time I have been there, it sucked. Bad timing on my part probably. Also not real big on driving an hour plus. I know, I have been spoiled being 2 miles from San V. River trips are a definate possibility, although I only really know one person who has a place there. Time to make alternate plans.

Hmmm! the Delta. Kim would be pretty happy about that!
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-27-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
Buzz, I'll trade you stays at our Havasu house for your boat detailing services.

What's the story on Vail Lake?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-27-2007, 8:26 AM Reply   
I may take you up on that sometime. I have not been to Havasu in a long time.

My guess on Vail is that there is not much water, but I don't know for sure.
Old     (malibukid)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-27-2007, 9:21 AM Reply   
Vail is closed...Nessy sighting! Just kidding, Vail is fine but the new membership fees are getting close to $3K a year.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-27-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
3K a year? That is just insane! There is no way! And 5-6 wakeboats the rollers are rediculous and the tubers kill you, besides the wind blows 15 mph everyday with whitecaps. Mission Bay is looking better all the time, I can save the 3K for two years then replace the trailer after 5 when it rots from rust.
Old     (malibukid)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-27-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
Not that I really want to attract boaters to Vail but we were the only boat out there last Friday and it was butter! Granted, during the middle of summer you need to be off the water by 9am or be forced to deal with every Wally Wavemaker that owns a tube.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-27-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
Buzz, towing a boat to our Havasu house takes us 5 1/2 hours (including a rest stop for lunch) door to door from Carlsbad. See my profile for a link to the house.

Havasu is a zoo on summer weekends, but before memorial day and after labor day, you can have the best riding locations almost to yourself. Weekdays during the summer are nice as well. Those are the times that are available for bartering, Spring and Fall, and then summertime weekdays.... otherwise it's rented (We have a Big Bear house too, if you're interested).

Anyway, I really want to take care of my new boat, and I read the post that you did a great job detailing Dave's boat, so let me know if you're up for bartering.

You can see our 2 favorite riding locations by looking for the red lines in my aerial pictures attached below... and how the water looked last weekend in my boat's picture at the bottom. We were sharing the cove located off of "site 6" with one other boat, and he wasn't a power turner. The other riding location pictured is very shallow, so the water level has to be right, but when it is, it's a sheet of glass, protected by the little islands next to it... and there are several other "secret spots" as well.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-27-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
Nice Tim. That gets me thinking. Big Bear also. Also, feel free to let me know about detailing, outside of bartering, if you need. Always interested. I will definately keep the houses in mind, and check with the little lady about when we can maybe go.

Thanks again.

Buzz