Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-16-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
my bud was looking at getting his own setup. I have been boarding for about 2 years now. I am a total noob but I am working hard on getting better. I started out with a HL State 140 package board with State bindings. I love that board and I really liked the bindings compared to the crappy Velcro sandal bindings I had used. I think I quickly out grew the state bindings though. They don't have much of a hold and felt really loose. I had an opportunity to use a pair of 2006 CWB fuse bindings and even though I was and still am a total noob I loved them. I loved how secure my feet were in them. I bought a pair for my set up and run them on my State 140 and I love the setup.

My question is when are people ready for good bindings? I read lots of reviews saying Faction/Fuse/Zeus/etc. bindings aren't good for beginners. I know that beginner bindings are designed to be loose so that you fall out of them in a hard fall to keep you from injuring yourself, but that doesn't make much sense to me.

If it is true that noobs shouldn't get pro bindings then what is the change that takes place when you are ready for them?

I only ask cause my bud is looking to get a set up and I am trying to save him the trouble and cash of buying something he will quickly out grow and want to upgrade quickly.

Thanks for any advice.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-16-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
I'm a newb myself but I go pretty big with the few tricks I do pull. I switched from my CWB Mobes to 06 closed toe Murrays and I assure you I would never go back to those flexy inro bindings. The Murrays are not super stiff like Zeus or 3DS so they were a great transition boot for me. The give me much better hold, and my landings feel much more secure with a little higher ankle support, which inturn gives me more confidence to go even bigger than I was.

As far as a board...I'm upgrading from my 06 CWB Pure to a HL Premier which is supposed to arrive on Monday. I'm hoping the switch from an intermediate board to a pro-model will have the same effect on my riding as the boot switch did...but I'll let you know next week!

I'd go with the Faction setup or something similar...maybe slightly above your/his skill level...but thats my opinion.
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-16-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
You need to get the bindings that feel the most comfortable for you. That doesn't mean you need the most expensive. Also, some product lines will fit individual feet better. There is one company that I just can't wear without my feet killin' me. Have your buddy demo as many as he can without considering beginner-advanced labels attached to them.

If looking at the CWB line, the factions and torqs would be a great place to start.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-16-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
I agree with brick that you have to get what is comfortable to your foot... with that said, you get what you pay for, and i am happy to throw down 3-4 hundo on boots that fit snug and are stiff. I dont think it matters if your barely getting up or pro for binding choice. I think that everyone should ride a stiffer binding just for the fact you get a lot more response and feel. I find the cheaper ones are softer and I dont think that is good for anybody, no matter their riding level.

but what do i know, i am a new rider and used to riding on water that is frozen and fluffy.
Old     (hmurray)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-16-2007, 2:15 PM Reply   
get some overdated board... price is way cheaper.

got myself a murray 06 and byerly 07 for €479.-
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-16-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
last years model is definately the way to go...

My 06 Premier and 06 Murrays cost me less than $400!!!! The same set up as JD last year and I paid 1/2 of retail! I'll never buy current year stuff again.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-16-2007, 3:19 PM Reply   
My opinion is that the quality of your bindings is the number one factor for enjoying your gear. If you have a hard time putting them on, if they hurt your feet, or if they are all mushy and give you zero board control, you will not have much fun. There are plenty of decent "entry level" wakeboards. I have not seen any decent entry level bindings.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-16-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
I agree, dont skimp on the bindings buy some good bindings and your feet will love you and your time on the water will be much more enjoyable.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-16-2007, 5:02 PM Reply   
the zues'es arnt that stiff to me....
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-16-2007, 5:32 PM Reply   
I agree and I don't care about names or the money. For me it was just night and day. Like I said I loved the State bindings when compared to the crappy HO velcro sandal bindings. The reason I pose the question is because of reviews he read that said "Factions are too stiff for beginners and they should go with binding X instead". I have never heard such nonsense and so I was pretty much questioning the validity of the review.

I 100% agree that the feel on your foot is going to make or break you riding progression and how much enjoyment you get from you day on the water. I was lucky enough to get to try the Fuse bindings or I would have probably went with Torq's or Factions (which are great bindings) and would have never known the joy of my 06 Fuses. I also agree to get last years or older gear to save $$.

We are stationed in Okinawa Japan and I don't know of any wakeboarding stores on the island. So I don't think demoing will be possible. (someone needs to start a online Demo program David Williams are you up for this?) My bud likes my Fuses and now isn't liking the feel of my old States (pretty much the same notion I have of that they feel too loose) so was thinking about getting his own setup. He got hesitant when he read the reviews about Pro vs Newbie bindings. I realize that pretty much every company had some kind of entry binding (HL state, CWB seven, etc) and there isn't any brand loyalty that he is looking for.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-16-2007, 11:27 PM Reply   
Skip the Torqs, get the Zeus or Faction if you are looking for the rear entry CWBs.

Since you are in Japan, you will unfortunately not be able to try on a bunch of bindings to make sure they don't hurt your feet or fit wierd. I personally think that Liquid Force bindings have the most universal fit and comfy feel, so if you can't try a binding out the LF stuff is a safe choice. Other brands tend to have a more specific fit, which is great if your foot matches up right.