Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-04-2007, 10:23 AM Reply   
As I posted earlier...I picked up my new boat yesterday, 2002 X-star with stock clarion sound system. I was drying it out last night after traveling in the rain and I turned the radio on. It worked fine for 5 minutes then the volume was gone. The radio was still powered on and you could change stations, tracks, volume etc, but no volume coming out of the speakers or sub? I shut it off. Turned it back on a couple times and it didn't work. I just left the power on and about 10 minutes later it mysteriously came back on? I wasn't even in the boat so I wasn't bumping wires or something. This morning I tried it quick before I left for work and the power came on, but no volume. Battery is fully charged too. What/Where should I be checking to trouble shoot this? Think it has something to do with the fact I trailered it 150 miles in the rain? It seemed to work fine last weekend when I test drove the boat? Thanks for any input.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-04-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
Is there an amp?? If all channels are amped, then most likely your amp is shot. Could be just a blown fuse on the amp too.

If no amp, you most likely have a dead HU. Replace it.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-04-2007, 10:30 AM Reply   
yes, there is an amp. Why do you think the amp is shot? Couldn't something be loose from the trip or something. Why would it work fine sometimes, and not others if it was shot?
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-04-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
I have had the same problem in my MC. I am on the second clarion that has done it, and I am blaming it on the head unit because I have no amp. My simple fix is going to include changing brands (I heard the MB quart marine head unit is great) and finding some way to shield the bottom of the unit from moisture. I know that they are suppose to be water resistant, but the fact is water and electricity don't mix, so I don't buy it.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-04-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
Had a bad clarion amp in my 02 SAN. One channel would fritz. Thought it was the head unit at first, replaced that, same problem, replaced amp. Not upset though because we got a better HU and an inexpensive alpine amp works fine for the stock system.

You could check voltage at the pre-amp outs before they meet the amp. If you get nothing across a channel then it's probably the HU. You can also check each channel coming out of the amp, that's how I found my issue, no voltage from a channel.

We now have a CMD4, which works well, but I never had it rained on.

Question on how to check the amp for those who know. Could you put an ipod into the pre amp in and keep the gain low and turn it up to see if the amp is working??
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-04-2007, 3:36 PM Reply   
so if it is the head unit and I change to a different brand will the transom and driver's side radio controls work with it?