Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (sangster)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-14-2004, 11:02 PM Reply   
hopefully the gurus out there can help me solve this. I have searched alot of the posts re: my symptoms/problems. About 30 min out if we are running the stereo at higher volume while riding it will begin to cut out and then if volume is lowered it will come back on ie insufficient power to draw upon. I have been running this stereo for two years and this was not a problem in previous years. I have two batteries, one stock for the boat and a second isolated for the stereo. I thought it might just be the second battery (for stereo) was bad so I replaced it. Next time out same thing happened. So now I'm trying to figure out which of the following could be causing the problem:
1. Original stock battery - could it be going bad and the draw to it from the alternator is not leaving sufficient for stereo. This battery is about 2.5 years old with 160 hours.
2. Alternator problem. Do alternators go partially bad before they totally give out? I'm not inclined to upgrade unless it has gone bad since it served me well for two years.
3. some combination of problems 1 and 2
4. I'm clueless and it is something else.

thanks for any ideas.

Also, anyone know a reliable mechanic in Discovery Bay area to take this to?

Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-15-2004, 10:28 AM Reply   
I've had that problem earlier this year, but I just re-did my stereo last winter. The wire I had running to my amp from my head unit to turn the amp on when the head unit turned on was too long. All we did was shorten the wire and take the excess out and it quit for the most part. Since this is the first year yours has been doing this I don't know if that would have anything to do with it
Old     (sangster)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-15-2004, 3:53 PM Reply   
I don't think that will be problem on mine.

This is installed in Sanger v210

Head unit in glove box - amp immediately underneath it in storage below glove box - very short distance. Second battery is at back of boat to side of engine compartment (opposite side from main battery).

Mine seems to be more a problem with the level of power/charge getting to second battery and stereo. If second battery is isolated, how does battery charge work - does it first take care of main battery and then overflow charge goes to take care of second battery thus if main battery is weak/bad not enough charge gets to second battery/stereo to keep it thumping. Also, can the alternator go partially bad - delivering less than its normal or full charge to maintain the batteries or are these things the type that work all or nothing.
Old     (sangster)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-15-2004, 5:44 PM Reply   
What about the relay that trips on/off to permit charge of second battery? Does it sound like it could be that? You would think my main battery would die as well if this were an alternator problem and I have gone out at least 6 times since this began and had no problem starting the boat.
Old    waterdog2            06-15-2004, 6:33 PM Reply   
been a comercial sparky for 27 years, sounds like your wires are heating up,usualy because of a bad connection, or damaged wires. the ground is just as important as the hot.alternator should be running around 14 v, good luck
Old    waterdog2            06-15-2004, 8:16 PM Reply   
another very simple thing can give the same problem.1 shorted speaker wire. sometimes the 2 little wires that go from the speaker terminals to the speaker cone touch together, but not enough to short until you crank up the power
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-16-2004, 8:21 PM Reply   
100 bucks says it is a ground problem.... Mine did the same thing... Has happened to me more than once in cars / boats... Make sure you have a good ground or else once you start drawing a lot of power it will cut out!!!! (waterdog2 is right!!!)
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-16-2004, 8:45 PM Reply   
clean those terminals and put a meter on the amp power connectors when it is cranking on the water then put it on the battery powering the stereo then put it on the battery running the boats electrics