Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-12-2010, 10:19 PM Reply   
I'm already planning next year - a houseboat trip. Saw the pic thread on Powell and it looks amazing. Have friends that say Shasta is awesome too!

I know Powell is awesome but who has been to Shasta? Need some input to figure out which one to go for. Have not been to either.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-12-2010, 11:11 PM Reply   
i'd do powell over shasta anyday.
Old     (rene)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-13-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
Both lakes are amazing. It can get a little more windy at Powell, but the lake is beautiful.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-13-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
Shasta is easily accessible for me, so I would do Powell if given the chance.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-13-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
I've done houseboat trips to both and each has its merits. It's really hard to say one is better than the other, they are both amazing. Shasta has awesome tree lined scenery and Powell you have incredible cliffs to ride under. Powell is a larger lake and you can do more exploring and get to a place where you maybe see one other boat during the day. I'd say go to the one that is less expensive/easier to get to. No matter what you choose, its going to be an awesome week.
Old     (Sly_Park_Mark)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-13-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
I've never been to Powell, but Shasta is incredible. I go almost every summer for a couple of weeks and it's definitely my favorite lake to ride on! Just do your research before you go so you know where the best spots to ride are. I don't think you can go wrong with either lake.
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-13-2010, 9:28 PM Reply   
The pic thread on Powell is very compelling. My buddy goes every year and loves it. Have another friend that loves Shasta. Life's choices should always be this difficult.

Seems like I can't really go wrong with either. Thanks. Will be checking in later for the tips on where to go when we decide.
Old     (TheSarge)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-13-2010, 9:32 PM Reply   
Shasta is about 1/2 the price houseboat rental wise Powell is. Both are epic places tho, headed to Powell next week.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       09-14-2010, 8:00 AM Reply   
Headed to Shasta in 1DAY!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-14-2010, 4:40 PM Reply   
Need full reports with pictures! Have fun
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-14-2010, 5:44 PM Reply   
either one you choose, bring me along!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-14-2010, 6:06 PM Reply   
Never been to Powell, but hard to go wrong with Shasta.
Attached Images

Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-14-2010, 11:50 PM Reply   
What's the water temp like in Shasta during summer
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-15-2010, 8:28 AM Reply   
High 70s to low 80s
Old     (jdoggy_73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-15-2010, 11:47 PM Reply   
Given the incredible water levels this year (and hope they stay like this next year), I would vote Shasta. In recent years, the water levels had been really low and you would have to hike to the docks or worry about floating islands when boarding. This is an ideal time to visit Shasta...

Since you're a SoCal person, I would save the Powell trip for a long or extended weekend adventure.

My .02