Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    Ronixpilot            05-16-2010, 7:51 PM Reply   
I took a hard fall on a hs bankroll about six months ago and broke my nose now I am freaked out about doing inverts is there anyway to get around the fear of getting hurt well doing inverts thanks.
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-16-2010, 8:03 PM Reply   
try an invert going like 20-21 and fall, you'll realize that it doesn't always happen. That's just what I'd do. Now that I think about it, that really doesn't sound appealing. Anyways good luck, sorry I am probably of no help, lol.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-16-2010, 8:21 PM Reply   
nut up or shut up
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-16-2010, 11:43 PM Reply   
damn, JB.... hahaha.

Ronixpilot.... i feel your pain dude. i can do many intermediate tricks and a few advanced tricks as well... but i have yet to learn a tantrum which i supposed to be the easiest invert to learn. i have a huge mental block and i think it's from learning the backroll-to-revert and scarecrow first, and just continuously doing it in my run. my body is so used to flipping in those rotations that whenever i go for a tantrum... i can't seem to trip the flip and when i do i just stop mid-flip or go out the back. i suggest learning on the trampoline. i've been trying to practice regular standing backflips on the trampoline just to break the habit.

someone suggested that if i have a mental block learning the tantrum, to just learn a toeside backroll instead. they said, at least i will be learning the muscle memory of the back flip by doing the toeside backroll. then when i dial that in... take it heelside and learn the tantrum. does anyone agree or have any other suggestions about this?
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-17-2010, 4:12 AM Reply   
I broke thru also trying the TS BR, never did it, but was so painless it really helped me out
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-17-2010, 6:40 AM Reply   
All you need to do is nail it or even get close just show the invert who is boss!!!! stomp it dont let it stomp you!!!! youll get it its just practice ive had that mental block forever for spinning and once i landed one i realized how much fun they are!!!!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-17-2010, 7:41 AM Reply   
learn wake.com has a very good free tutorial on ho wot learna backroll. It's fairly painless and it takes you thru progressive steps to accomplish the trick. In the early stages the boat is slowed down to make falls less painful. Part of the progression is falling.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-17-2010, 8:33 AM Reply   
The first thing you want to do is figure out why you broke your nose on a backroll, so you don't do it again.
Old     (rclester89)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-17-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
John A, just gave the best advice. If you learn what you did to break your nose, which is a pretty uncommon accident behind the boat fyi, then you shouldn't have any fear cause you know what you did wrong and can avoid it. Ultimately having that confidence though is key and without it you might as well give up landing anything again.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       05-17-2010, 9:45 AM Reply   
Just edge harder!!!!!! Hahahaha
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-17-2010, 3:19 PM Reply   
Wear a full face helmet lol...seriously tho, what Adam said or better yet find a good coach who can help!
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-17-2010, 4:47 PM Reply   
x2 for signing up for www.Learnwake.com Best $10/month you'll ever spend! Also think about slowing the boat down for all new tricks. Hucking a new trick for the first time in the middle of your run is never a good idea. Depending on the trick I always slow the boat down to 16-18mph and try new tricks inside out or one wake. Then, when your comfortable there, shorten the rope to around 60ft and take the trick w2w with a slow speed. From there take it to 65...70.....75 etc...
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-17-2010, 6:36 PM Reply   
slow the boat down and just go off 1 wake, with the slower speed the crash is much less painful and you can gain the confidence
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-17-2010, 11:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesydog View Post
slow the boat down and just go off 1 wake, with the slower speed the crash is much less painful and you can gain the confidence

yeah i agree with mark as well. this is exactly how i learned the backside 180... then after a few weeks i took it wake2wake, regular riding speed.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-17-2010, 11:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesydog View Post

yeah i agree with mark as well. this is exactly how i learned the backside 180... then after a few weeks i took it wake2wake, regular riding speed.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-18-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsilcio View Post
damn, JB.... hahaha.

Ronixpilot.... i feel your pain dude. i can do many intermediate tricks and a few advanced tricks as well... but i have yet to learn a tantrum which i supposed to be the easiest invert to learn. i have a huge mental block and i think it's from learning the backroll-to-revert and scarecrow first, and just continuously doing it in my run. my body is so used to flipping in those rotations that whenever i go for a tantrum... i can't seem to trip the flip and when i do i just stop mid-flip or go out the back. i suggest learning on the trampoline. i've been trying to practice regular standing backflips on the trampoline just to break the habit.

someone suggested that if i have a mental block learning the tantrum, to just learn a toeside backroll instead. they said, at least i will be learning the muscle memory of the back flip by doing the toeside backroll. then when i dial that in... take it heelside and learn the tantrum. does anyone agree or have any other suggestions about this?
LOL this is almost exactly how I was. Exactly until one day I just manned up (with the help of some people in the boat) and flew into the wake, punched both toes down and finally got around on it. Had the trick sparsely thrown for about a year and a half. Then stopped throwing it because I was still uncomfortable with it and lost it. It will be coming back this year. along with the TSBR. Throwning my head back = not my thing.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-18-2010, 2:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene3x View Post
LOL this is almost exactly how I was. Exactly until one day I just manned up (with the help of some people in the boat) and flew into the wake, punched both toes down and finally got around on it. Had the trick sparsely thrown for about a year and a half. Then stopped throwing it because I was still uncomfortable with it and lost it. It will be coming back this year. along with the TSBR. Throwning my head back = not my thing.
gene... did you do any kind of practice leading up to finally landing the tantrum? i'm thinking i need to just unlearn what my muscle memory is so used to which is the rotation for the backroll to revert and the scarecrow. if you think about it, the take off is similar since your head and feet go in the same direction for either of those inverts.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-18-2010, 3:15 PM Reply   
Actually I did slow the boat down for the first few attempts and landed on the board without the handle riding away. My main issue was riding to the top of the wake. I would always go early and throw my head to far back. (in my mind) You want to go WAY late and stand tall UNTIL you feel the pop with your edge changed and toes pushed down, then I would tuck hold the handle close to my body and throw my head back all at once.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-18-2010, 4:21 PM Reply   
i'll give it a try. thanks brotha