Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-30-2008, 8:17 PM Reply   
How many people have gotten sick from the lake (presumptively) and how long till recovery. Am on my 4th day, another guy was better in 2.
If you have, what do you do differently to keep from it happening again....This suckks
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-30-2008, 8:26 PM Reply   
Don't suck up and spit out the top layer of lake water. Usually that stomach pain will come up if you fall riding and keep getting water in your mouth and spitting it out if the weather has been super hot and it hasn't been windy in awhile.

Give it a day or two and you'll be fine.}
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-30-2008, 8:26 PM Reply   
don't drink the water

it sucks but rest and you will be good in no time.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-30-2008, 8:55 PM Reply   
I had E-Coli from the local river here. Three days in the hospital. I haven't ridden in the river since.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-30-2008, 10:30 PM Reply   
Can't say I've ever really gotten sick from the water before, and I suck up and spit out the top layer of water ALL the time. As a matter of fact, i do it every time I ride...
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-30-2008, 10:35 PM Reply   
A couple of weeks ago I got sick for 6 days, but not sure if it was from the water.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-30-2008, 10:56 PM Reply   
i got a parisite from winching a fountain gap. worst pain ive ever been in and i have had some bad broken bones
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-31-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
I got so sick about ten years ago. It was the worst sickness I have ever had. I used to have this bad habit of putting the lake water in my mouth and spitting it out. Our lake has some sewer spills sometime. Bad news man, I thought I was going to die.
Old     (cedarbro)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-31-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
I got sick a few weeks ago from our river but there was still some bad sh*t in it from the flooding I think.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-31-2008, 9:16 AM Reply   
My 2 year old drank a cup of Delta water and was fine.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-31-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
After a trip to Bullards bar a few years ago, I got a stomach bug that lasted about 3 weeks. It wasn't very severe, I just couldn't eat anything but bland food or my stomach freaked out. Im not sure if it was from the lake or not but I always suspected that it was from all the algae that makes that lake so green.

Robot- did you get Giardia (sp?)Never had it, but heard it is miserable, kind like what you are going through
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-31-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
the first time i hopped in the licking river (cincinnati) i gotta little bug of some sorts. i've gotten ill a few times from different lakes.

haha jrod thats funny...i take a nice big gulp of delta h20 everytime i get in...its good for the immune system.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-31-2008, 9:53 AM Reply   
eewww...really?
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-31-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
not on purpose, usually
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-31-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
yeah I hear you. Lately that water has been getting into my sinuses through my ears and bugging me pretty bad.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-31-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
yea i noticed i was pretty stuffed up the other nite and most of yesterday after i got in the water. but it really only gets me if i'm out of the water for a week or so and then i get back in. if in i'm everyday it doesnt do anything to me.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-31-2008, 10:44 AM Reply   
Oddly enough my two Boxers were just at the vet for this very reason. They came down with a bacterial infection that is in the same family as botulism. They have been sick for four days - one even needed fluids. Our vet knows we wakeboard and asked, "Do you drink from that lake, too?"
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-31-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
I rinse my mouth with Delta water all the time and I've had my share of it forced ino my stomach and I've never gotten sick. But I'm sure its similar to food poisoning which I've had and that is the WORST. Normally a stomach flu from water or food only lasts a day or so. Are you sure you don't just have a normal flu since its 4 days in?
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-31-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
The parasites, I think Ameobas, are the worst. In through your nose and into your brain and death. Tis the time of year with the really warm water, but thankfully I haven't seen any cases posted this year.

The only thing that I can link with any reasonable probability to lake water is the occasional skin infection / boil.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       07-31-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
Somehow I haven't gotten sick from a couple giant gulps of Canyon Lake backwater water. When it happens, I don't feel very good for a while, but it never "matures" into anything. I just down a bunch of fresh drinking water to try to dilute it and I feel fine after a few minutes.

I'm probably just lucky and it's a matter of time.

I also do the thing where I take water in and spit it out. Don't know why. Very dumb and I'm sure it's going to bite me in the rear eventually.

Danny
Old     (seaswirlmike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-31-2008, 10:02 PM Reply   
I'm sitting in the hospital as we speak with some infection they've yet to diagnose from a compound fracture I got while boarding on the delta on the 5th. the doc's afraid it will make it to the bone so last night they opened me up did a "bone scrape" along with a bunch of other samples.... not a fun deal I don't recommend it!!