Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (xjsnxillusion)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-26-2011, 10:08 PM Reply   
Okay guys, so I am looking at 2 different boats, and I would love to hear yalls opinions on both of these to help me decide which one to choose.

2000 super air nautique:

360 hours
5.7 EFI 320 HP
The tower is bent so I'm putting on a new one - polished aluminum
There is some problems with the boat - all which will be fixed by the dealer and not added to my purchase price at all. They are reshaping the prop, fixing 1 gel coat crack about 1/2 inch wide, replacing belt, doing tune-up, the gauges are currently not working so they are fixing that as well.
Interior is perfect - not a single tear
They have to reconnect the ballast pumps - (2) plastic ballast boxes in back and (1) 800??lb in locker I believe.

I was able to test drive the nautique today, and the wake was perfect

2003 moomba mobius lsv:
412 hours
perfect pass
individual controls for all ballasts - (2) 400 lbs in back, (1) 600 lb in locker
tower/racks look amazing
the upholstery is great but has minute wear

they wouldn't let me test drive the boat today b/c it was winterized and had to have an approved bid...

Nautique priced at 20,000 (boat) + 3,800 (trailer) but had to add 1850 for tower - haven't chosen my tower yet though

LSV - 27,000 starting price but should be able to get them down to 23,500 and just a simple clean and its ready to hit the lake

Which boat guys??
Attached Images

Old     (whelchel86)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-27-2011, 2:08 AM Reply   
I hope they aren't talking about charging $3800 for the single axle Mastercraft trailer that is under the Nautique in the picture.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       02-27-2011, 6:30 AM Reply   
What's your location? It's hard to tell but it looks like the boats in your pics have TX registration. In Baton Rouge, LA my neighbor's BFF is selling a SAN that's almost identical to that one accept I believe it's an '01 and the tower is tan like gelcoat. I haven't seen it in a while but it was mint a couple of years ago and he's super meticulous about it. I can find out the hours and what not if you're interested. Word on the street is that he's asking $25k with the matching tandem axle trailer.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-27-2011, 6:50 AM Reply   
I have a san so i know the wake is nice. Good interior is a plus but why the bent tower? Kind of wierd. There seems to be a lot of add ons for the price making the price seemingly market value at best. The guages going bad is normal so you wont know how many hours are actually on the boat, which is really no big deal, just look at overall condition. The "normal" negine was the 310hp GT40. you could get the 320 apex 350 GM motor in it, but they were what I would call rare, and I dont really know about reliability of them, perhaps someone could chime in who has one, becuase I never have seen one in person much less heard how they are. I hope for 3800, the trailer is a new tandem or something really close to new. I bought a brand new custom one with everything last year for 5K. I have seen used for under2500.

The moomba is decent but I think the build quality is not up to par of what they have been the last few years in 2003, and not too close to the san. It is also a little smaller boat, but they are close. Not sure about the drivetrain by comparison.

Bottom line, I have seen MANY sans of that era for the mid 20s and the whole bent tower seems wierd to me, but if they are fixing it all, whatever, but it sounds likt it is on your dime to buy a new tower. That and no trailer makes that deal really ho-hum for me since there are many more out there for cheaper with trailer and no issues. The moomba, as far as price, the starting price is way too high, getting it to 23 sounds reasonable, but not a great deal.

IMHO, there are better deals to be had unless these are local and you dont want to travel to get them.
Old     (jrbishop4)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-27-2011, 8:29 AM Reply   
I had a 04 moomba lsv. It was a great boat and a nice wake. The quality will not be as good as the nautique but it is still good. I think the price is high. I sold mine in nov 08 for 22,000 I think with about 500 hrs. There were a few seat skins that needed replaced due to my dog but everything else was good. I don't think I would pay more than 23 for the moomba unless you really want the boat.

Good luck and hope you get a great boat!
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-27-2011, 10:05 AM Reply   
Super Air.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-27-2011, 10:29 AM Reply   
Normally I would say the SAN but that thing is going to end up being 25-28k before you get it setup correctly. Find one that is already setup and has already had the money dumped into it. That SAN sounds like it has a lot of problems as well. I am not sure if the 2000 had the digital gauges but those things have been huge problems from what I have seen on this site and should be changed out for Analog gauges. I have also heard the stock ballast system on those is pretty terrible and should almost be completely ripped out and started from scratch. The one thing that would make me picka similar SAN to that one is the GT40 motor which that one doesn't have. Keep looking if you want a SAN or find out the perticulars on Jeff's buddies boat.

If I was looking just at those 2 boats and had to make a decision I would probably go with the Moomba assuming you can actually get it for 23.5k. It has all the options of the SAN plus some. I am not the biggest can of yellow for a couple reasons(mostly harder to sell) but if you like it who cares. The ballast on the Moomba is easily upgradable just by getting bigger sacks, it is simple and should be cheap and easy for most the fixes. You didn't mention but does the Moomba have the 310hp carb engine or 325hp efi engine?

To be perfectly hones though I think you can find better boats and deals if you are a little patient.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-27-2011, 10:36 AM Reply   
Here are 3 boats in texas I just found on craigslist that I would consider.

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=27653

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=27705

I really like this one other then the interior looks hammered on which is a good sign the rest of the boat was as well.
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=26494
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-27-2011, 10:50 AM Reply   
OK, I found the ad for that Moomba. It has the EFI and a trim tab as well. That is a very well setup boat that doesn't need much.

Here is a nice Super Sport for a solid price depending on hours. The nice thing about this is you could add your own ballast the way you want. That will probably run 1500-2000 unless you do it yourself. It also needs PP but you could throw in Stargazer which should be around 1500. It looks like it already has analog gauges. This really look slike a nice boat.
http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/2165177939.html

You could look into this Tige. Their first year of no wood. Will be a lot bigger then the other boats. Will probably need custom ballast added. Better surf boat then the others if you plan on doing that. Also better rough water ride.
http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/2224063587.html

Another newer, better color LSV. The ad doesn't say much about it though and it may be a real stipped down boat.
http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/2192829239.html
Old     (dess03)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-27-2011, 12:01 PM Reply   
first i will say he posted the motor wrong it has the efi gt-40 motor in it
the guages were working b4 the boat lot had some one brak in stole the amp
tower speakers and messed up a little of th wiring the tower was bent up at the very top looked like a big tree branch fell on it or somthing but yes i does have the digital guages in it
i was there to look at the boat with jason yesterday and the trailer they are including for 3800
is a dual axel trailer painted to his preference not the little mastercraft trailer in the pic
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-27-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
Super Air all day. The wake on the Moomba is not even comparable to the SAN wake. There are better deals out there but if its between those two choices, SAN no question.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-27-2011, 12:37 PM Reply   
Just putting it out. That's my friend's Moomba you're looking at. He just took hold of a new 2011 Moomba and traded that one in. That boat is solid and reliable. I've wakeboarded on it a couple times and seen it on the lake pretty much every weekend. It has never had an issue the entire time they had it.
Old     (Joe)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-27-2011, 1:40 PM Reply   
No question. If you are just talking those two boats. I would pick the Moomba. That other boat has way to many issues.
Old     (wakecumberlandky)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-27-2011, 1:47 PM Reply   
If those where the only two options, go with the Moomba. The other boat has to many problems and will continue to have more problems.
Old     (xjsnxillusion)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-27-2011, 2:12 PM Reply   
On the nautique there are no structural problems or interior/exterior wear marks which is awesome, and if I am able to choose the tower I want to replace the bent one with, I think the nautique might be the better choice. Yes, the problems with the nautique are somewhat concerning but the dealership is going to fix everything before I even pay a penny. I like that the moomba is already setup and ready to go, but just for functionality sake, the SAN wake is going to be perfect. As long as all the problems are fixed - the ballasts, gauges, the only small tear in the upholstery (sundeck) - these shouldn't be any reoccuring problems for the future
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-27-2011, 4:39 PM Reply   
Jason, sounds to me like you are already convinced you want that or another SAN. If that is the case focus your efforts on Super Airs. My advice would be to look at a few different ones to compare them. If I were you and that 2001 Super Sport is close by I would definately take a look at it. It looks to be black and white which is the best color combo possible for resale not to mention I think it looks the best. It also appears to have been kept on a covered lift. Now as far as the tower choice goes with the 2000 SAN, if you get anything besides the FCT then you are crazy. Those should never have any other tower on them. I would get the same exact tower that is on it. A white FCT.

Obviously without looking at either boat and going strictly off what you said here is what I think about the 2000 SAN you posted vs the 2001 SS that I posted.

For $25,650(20,000+3800+1850) you can get the 2000 SAN that has digital gauges, stock ballast, new tower and new/newer trailer. Your other option if the SS looks clean and checks out is for $25,000(22,000+1500(ballast)+1500(stargazer)) you get a one year newer boat with analog gauges better custom(however you choose to do it) ballast, what appears to be a better stereo and bimini. My conclusion assuming both the 2000 SAN and 2001 SS are in similar condition(after the SAN has been fixed) and have similar hours is that I would choose the one year newer boat setup exactly how I want it every single time. I am not sure if your 20k number on the SAN is a negotiated price but if it is you should still be able to get a better price on that SS making it a grand or 2 cheaper. Do yourself a favor though and go look at that SS or some other SANs so you have a comparison to the 2000 posted.

Last edited by polarbill; 02-27-2011 at 4:42 PM.
Old     (Joe)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-27-2011, 5:57 PM Reply   
Good advice (polarbill), If you are hooked by the SAN. Make sure that gel coat crack is pure cosmetic.
Old     (iRIDEWAKES)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-27-2011, 7:12 PM Reply   
Rode behind an 08 210 and a 2010 X45 this last year. SAN without a doubt IMO
Old     (xjsnxillusion)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-27-2011, 7:27 PM Reply   
I am really leaning towards the SAN, and the bent tower is not really as bad as it sounds. I will put up another picture showing the bend. The white paint is slightly coming off the polished aluminum which can easily be fixed. I really think the bend can be straightened back out. I think I am going to just forget the new tower so I am looking back at 23,500 and save myself 2 grand to get a bimini for it and new racks - im thinking roswell rotating racks? These on the SAN have lost most of their padding from use.

Last edited by xjsnxillusion; 02-27-2011 at 7:31 PM.
Old     (xjsnxillusion)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-27-2011, 7:29 PM Reply   
Picture of tower
Attached Images

Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       02-27-2011, 7:42 PM Reply   
At seems like a lot of compromises on SAN for the price. $24k would be at the top end of what I would pay if it was mint and needed nothing. When I was boat shopping last year I saw a couple of pretty mint '05-06s for $31-32k and reasonable hours. With 5-6 more years of depreciation on a boat that obviously was treated a bit rough I'd expect to save a lot more than $5-6k. IMHO it's a less desirable color scheme too although it's not gross or anything.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-27-2011, 8:17 PM Reply   
Jason, the boat looks good on the water although a huge dragon sticker on the back is never a good sign. J/K. The worry I would have about the tower is if it has compromised the structural integrity of the tower. I would think if it put any added stress on a weld or if it kinked where the tree hit then it has the potential to break in use and I don't even want to gues what could happen if it broke while people where in the boat and a rider being pulled. I wonder if you could just get the top portian of the tower from the Nautique dealer or New dimension?

Saun, your comment has nothing to do with what the OP is asking. An 08 SAN is nothing like a 2000 SAN and he never mentioned a boat as big, new or expensive as an X45.
Old     (xjsnxillusion)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-27-2011, 8:33 PM Reply   
Thanks Brett. I don't think structurally there is anything wrong with the tower. We did notice is a little flex or shake when it was driving down the road, and I could grab it and kind of move it to the left and right slightly - not too much though. It was well reinforced with backplates. When I got to the dealership, the bend was the first thing i noticed on the tower. The dealer then said he tested the soundness of the tower by even towing a boat with it. I would have never done that to a tower. I won't even tube behind it, much less pull a boat.... I don't think it affected it at all and seems like it is still mechanically fine. I could contact a fabrication shop locally here in town to maybe get it straightened or get a new top portion of the tower from a nautique dealer as you said.
Old     (iRIDEWAKES)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-27-2011, 8:34 PM Reply   
"S"h"aun, your comment has nothing to do with what the OP is asking. An 08 SAN is nothing like a 2000 SAN and he never mentioned a boat as big, new or expensive as an X45. "

What I was getting at is the 2010 X45 was newer and more expensive not to mention larger than the SAN I rode behind and I liked the SAN better=better boat.
Nautiques are really well laid out,comfortable,reliable, and throw a killer wake..guess I should have spelled it out for ya

"IMHO it's a less desirable color scheme too although it's not gross or anything."

Respectfully disagree It's a sharp boat and the tower isn't so bad, I had to cut,sleeve, and re-weld a 99 air tower to fit my 79 SN and after a little finishing and paint you'd never know, it's held up really well not a single crack in the paint.

Last edited by iRIDEWAKES; 02-27-2011 at 8:39 PM.
Old     (kruzie96)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-02-2011, 5:20 PM Reply   
I've had my eye on that 2000 SAN for a few months now. Didn't know about the bent tower though. I've been scouring the web for Super Sports and Airs and man there just isn't much out there right now. If you pick it up, let's go ride
Old    mojo            03-02-2011, 7:43 PM Reply   
the thing with a nautique is that after a point they don't depreciate much at all. i agree that i wouldnt buy this particular one, but join the fam and get a nauti.
Old     (iRIDEWAKES)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-02-2011, 8:20 PM Reply   
I'm with mojo get a nautique, join correctcraftfan.com and you have a family not just a forum, great poeple and solid advice. No personal agendas or BS on CCF