Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (jakoerber)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-19-2005, 4:46 PM Reply   
Howdy i know this has been poasted a lot but i couldnt find many threads. Raleys are they hard or is it just the lack of balls to do it that gets people. i can do scarecrows annd most basic flips backrolls tantrums....etc also how much does it hurt if u dont get it down in time any help would be awesome thanks
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-19-2005, 4:56 PM Reply   
What I can tell you from my point of never trying one, is that you CAN NOT wimp out. If you are going to try it, you better be committed, or you're going for a 21mph bellyflop from several feet up. I do know from watching it done, that you need to edge hard and keep the rope very tight the entire time, because if there is any slack, you won't get the pull back down that you need. Also, you better have strong abs, or it'll be very hard to pull that board back underneath you. Again, I have not tried this, but I have watched it done many times and analyzed the basics of what is needed, so when I finally do get out this year, I will be trying it. Just don't wimp out or you'll be sorry.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-20-2005, 9:58 AM Reply   
The trick to the Raley is edging hard heel edge all the way up the wake and switching to a hard toe edge as quick as possible at the very top of the wake.
It hurts when you dont commit, but its the kind of pain like a punch, usually by the time you get back in the boat you dont notice anymore. Atleast I dont. I was never "sore" the next day from those crashes, but man when your in the air and know your gonna eat s@#! with your board not underneath you, not a fun feeling, so COMMIT! Oh and I wore a helmet while learning this one.
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-20-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
Nice Parkgirl,
I had no ideas we had chicks out here doing raley'. I'm guessing if you're doing raleys you also have a bounch of grabed spins and basic tricks. You should hit me(mikeschwenne@hotmail.com) or buffalow(www.westsideconnection.net) up and get you out in front of the camera.

Tips for the raley,
The easiest thing I can tell you is to try it a couple times on the wakeskate. Make sure you load your front eqaul to your rear so you dont stargaze.
Then when you try it on the wakeboard, if you're up in the air and you need to bail, pull it down switch. Don't make a habbit of it, but it can save you from a concussion.
hope that helps
schwenne
www.westcoastcamps.com
Old                04-21-2005, 10:21 AM Reply   
I think the issue of balls is valid, but I would agree with Parkgirl on the strong heelside edge/cut but not on the part about getting on your toeside edge at the wake. That may allow you to get the board up behind you and do a very weak/low raley but it's that's not the right way to do them. You need to mainly just edge all the way thru with that same hard edge until you are dug in deep at the wake and the rope builds sudden and powerfull tension (beyond the tension you built heading for the wake). At that point the board will pop up and out hard on it's own and you will feel like your being forced to do a front flip (like on a trampoline, not a wakeboard front). At that point you need to look up towards the boat (keep your head up to stop the flip) and arms out until you are at that point where you feel like the pull of the rope is slowing/weakening. Now you want to pull your arms down and your knees up (like doing a crunch/situp) to pull the board back under your upper body. The rest is strength and aggressiveness to go super huge on the trick...

T
Old     (jakoerber)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-21-2005, 1:10 PM Reply   
thanks for all the help one question i also have is being able to do these on a trampoline going to help.
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-22-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
Mike has it right. Using the wakeskate to train for this trick is the way to go. Once you get the edging and pop right you can focus on your in the air form with less consquences.